SW Rise of Skywalker | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SW Rise of Skywalker

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought it was ok, but they crammed two movies worth of stuff into one, so the pace was just lightning fast. Entertaining, sure, but it left a lot of potential detail and character development on the table.

Remember when Luke first meets Obi-Wan, and learns that his father was a Jedi? One of the best scenes in the series. There was nothing like that here.

My least favorite element of all three new films is that they each have moment where if we only had this thing or person we could get out of this highly time sensitive predicament? We've got X hours, what can we do? I know, let's travel thousands of light years away, infiltrate a difficult place, persuade or otherwise get the person or thing, fly back, have them do what we need and we'll be saved!

So, in a few hours you'll do something that takes weeks. It's truly awful. It's very disjointed when screen time and real time don't move at a consistent pace. If 5 minutes on screen is a day don't suddenly make 15 minutes an hour. At least this time they didn't waste 20 minutes of screen time about how terrible the place they went was.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Dual of the Fates seems much more interesting. I saw ROS. It was watchable and entertaining but had, as you noted, huge plot problems and cobbled together ideas.

While the prequels had many problems, there was definitely a story line there that progressed from A to B to Z. The biggest problem in my view is that Disney tried 'experimenting' with different ideas, different writers, and different directors with very little coordination between the 3. I know JJ directed VII and IX; but, Johnson really didn't collaborate with JJ in between VII and VIII and basically blew-up a lot of the plot lines between the two and JJ returned the favor between VIII and IX. In retrospect, I would have preferred to see 1 writer /director for all 3 to better tie everything in and keep closer the Star Wars 'script.' Let Johnson and Edwards experiment with one-off stories lines outside of the main story like they did successfully with Rouge One.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I would have preferred to see 1 writer /director for all 3 to better tie everything in and keep closer the Star Wars 'script.'

A whole bunch of different directors handled various Marvel movies, but I gotta think Kevin Feige had his hands all over all of them. W/ maybe a few exceptions there was some continuity between them and they all built up to a big finale. I think different directors can work if they don't have too much creative control and the studio gives them a framework and they stick to it.

Reaction Score
I swear at some point Disney plus should just re-do star wars 1-9 in like 4 10-show seasons or something like that.
It seems like a lot of die hard fans are upset wi
th how 1-3 and 8,9 were done.
Its probably a dumb idea but it would give them a lot more hours to develop characters better and re-do some stuff.
Would require all new actors.
Like I said probably a dumb idea but who knows.

Reaction Score
I swear at some point Disney plus should just re-do star wars 1-9 in like 4 10-show seasons or something like that.
It seems like a lot of die hard fans are upset wi
th how 1-3 and 8,9 were done.
Its probably a dumb idea but it would give them a lot more hours to develop characters better and re-do some stuff.
Would require all new actors.
Like I said probably a dumb idea but who knows.
I wish 1-3 would be retconned.

7-9 weren’t nearly as bad. But I wish they were never made...

Reaction Score
I wish 1-3 would be retconned.

7-9 weren’t nearly as bad. But I wish they were never made...

If the Star Wars movies were made in chronological order, I - III would have been better as it woudl have been an introduction to the Star Wars Universe and the concept of basically the Fall of the Roman Empire is not a bad story to play with. The issue was the script (midi what?) and some of the characters (Jar Jar!) and actors (though its difficult to tell if the problem was the character's script or the actor's performance [there was talk that Ryan Phillippe was in the running for Anakin Skywalker in II, which I was a good fit outside of his stature, 5' 8").

I'm on the fence about the need for XII - IX. The fan in me of course wanted to see the old gang back together. But, as I have said before, the story pulled some of the charters to far away from what had already been established, especially Luke, and it was already competing with well established lore in what is now the Star Wars Legends books and comics, especially the Dark Horse Dark Empire II story and Zahn's novels overall (I am still mad that Mara Jade was not brought back in as she was one of my favorite SW characters).

Reaction Score
You can be upset with this one. But TFA is amazing, and depending on what side of the TLJ coin you land on, that one is amazing as well.
I honestly cannot put into words how flippin' terrible TLJ was. Horrendous in virtually every conceivable way.

Reaction Score
So, in a few hours you'll do something that takes weeks. It's truly awful. It's very disjointed when screen time and real time don't move at a consistent pace. If 5 minutes on screen is a day don't suddenly make 15 minutes an hour. At least this time they didn't waste 20 minutes of screen time about how terrible the place they went was.
Eh, they do it on TV all the time. The show Fringe used to treat Boston and NYC as if they were 10 minutes apart.

Reaction Score
A whole bunch of different directors handled various Marvel movies, but I gotta think Kevin Feige had his hands all over all of them. W/ maybe a few exceptions there was some continuity between them and they all built up to a big finale. I think different directors can work if they don't have too much creative control and the studio gives them a framework and they stick to it.
The Ch ief problem being that for Star Wars, Feige's counterpart is Kathleen "The force is female" Kennedy, who by all rights should have been fired after TLJ, if not sooner. The amount of money she has left on the table is staggering. Why the flip is the ridiculous censorship algorithm on here replacing "c-h-i-e-f" with chief ?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Eh, they do it on TV all the time. The show Fringe used to treat Boston and NYC as if they were 10 minutes apart.

I remember that. Particularly annoying because with traffic they are much farther apart than they used to be. In Star Wars I hate the whole "have to get person A or Item B from planet C" plot line anyway. It's not just how long it takes, they do have hyperdrives.

Reaction Score
I remember that. Particularly annoying because with traffic they are much farther apart than they used to be. In Star Wars I hate the whole "have to get person A or Item B from planet C" plot line anyway. It's not just how long it takes, they do have hyperdrives.
The best part was in TLJ when they needed one specific guy, but couldn't get him, but rando dude in jail says he could do the same thing. Yeah, ok. Ridiculous item #10,534,807 in TLJ

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
As for the Rise of Skywalker, I loved it. People have to realize that films like this and Endgame can’t be held to the same standards as most films. They’re selling you an experience of a lifetime that’s a culmination of everything that came before, not some extremely polished movie. And that’s perfectly fine.
Endgame is bad comparison. That was a good movie. It tied up everything nice crossing across multiple movies and remained true to established MU cannon. It was everything the Rise of Skywalker was not.

Reaction Score
I see Rise of Skywalker as basically two things. An olive branch to the fans, and Abrams sticking it to Johnson for screwing things up so badly. I'm curious to see what we get from Disney Star Wars next.

Reaction Score
I see Rise of Skywalker as basically two things. An olive branch to the fans, and Abrams sticking it to Johnson for screwing things up so badly. I'm curious to see what we get from Disney Star Wars next.
Well, first you get Marvel SJW Universe.

Reaction Score
I still will have a hard time believing some of the rumors out there about the direction of their cinematic universe until I see them actually happen. The latest one has them handing the mantle of the Black Panther over to the annoying sister of T'challa. I can't believe they will actually do it, because it was a miserable failure in print, but who knows these days.
I imagine that's partly due to the fact that they didn't suffer in the least for shoe-horning Capt Marvel, a character nobody cared about, into the Avengers storyline for Girl Power. Plus they don't seem to care that they're actively hurting the Star Wars franchise with the same dumb crap. They did announce the first "trans" hero in the Marvel Universe, so I put the odds of it all being true at about 100%

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Endgame is bad comparison. That was a good movie. It tied up everything nice crossing across multiple movies and remained true to established MU cannon. It was everything the Rise of Skywalker was not.
Yeah I didn’t get that clear enough, Endgame is so much better

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Finally saw it on Disney Plus.

The Pitch Meeting video captures a lot of my problems with the movie. The plat is ridiculous, and it feels like it didn't need to that stupid. Finding the item in a cave was completely absurd, and which made heading to the planet with the Power Ranger even sillier. I actually didn't mind the scenes on the planets, I just hated how they were linked. It is like Abrams came up with a few good scenes and couldn't figure out how to tie them together.
It was entertaining, and I liked the dialogue and character development. It could have been worse.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Finally saw it on Disney Plus.

The Pitch Meeting video captures a lot of my problems with the movie. The plat is ridiculous, and it feels like it didn't need to that stupid. Finding the item in a cave was completely absurd, and which made heading to the planet with the Power Ranger even sillier. I actually didn't mind the scenes on the planets, I just hated how they were linked. It is like Abrams came up with a few good scenes and couldn't figure out how to tie them together.
It was entertaining, and I liked the dialogue and character development. It could have been worse.
Yeah it was very messy. I heard they had a new script every day.

Reaction Score
Yeah it was very messy. I heard they had a new script every day.

And that was the mistake that Disney made with the new trilogy, they wrote 3 different movies instead of 1 story. Crazy since Disney oversaw the Avegners, which linked over a dozen moves together.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I loved the action.

But Rey is still just uninteresting. The same problem in every movie. She never faces any real adversity. And she’s so reckless she makes Luke seem careful and unlike Luke she faces zero repurcussions.

And her continuously beating far meow powerful and trained Jedi without anywhere close to the level of even combat training is a joke.

And yes, using the lightning as a cop out was super lame.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
And that was the mistake that Disney made with the new trilogy, they wrote 3 different movies instead of 1 story. Crazy since Disney oversaw the Avegners, which linked over a dozen moves together.
Two different creatives. Feige at marvel is a genius and don’t get me wrong, Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm know their stuff and can make some great content, but the lack of planning on the 3 films were appalling.

Reaction Score
I loved the action.

But Rey is still just uninteresting. The same problem in every movie. She never faces any real adversity. And she’s so reckless she makes Luke seem careful and unlike Luke she faces zero repercussions.

And her continuously beating far meow powerful and trained Jedi without anywhere close to the level of even combat training is a joke.

And yes, using the lightning as a cop out was super lame.

Agree on the combat part with the Disney excuse being that she 'learned' by absorbing through the Force other people's skills, such as her first duel with Kylo. She could have been in interesting character if they fleshed out her story more beyond the orphan angel; but they wanted her to have a 'blank slate,' especially in the Last Jedi. They could have had her find-out in that movie that she was the daughter of Paps (or Luke or Obi-wan) and then in a fit or rage after learning how much was taken away from her killed Snoke and then the Rise could have been about her paying for those actions and rising above them. I actually think Ben/Kylo had a more interesting arc.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom