SW Rise of Skywalker | The Boneyard

SW Rise of Skywalker

Reaction Score
I caught the movie tonight with my two sons. If this is indeed the last Star Wars movie for a while, I will miss the tradition of taking them every 2 years to a movie, especially because they maybe adults by the time a new movie comes out.

I will not discuss any plot points at this time. Overall, I enjoyed the movie though it did feel a lot like Return of the Jedi as there was a rush cover a lot of territory. There are some plot holes that I could fly a Star Destroyer through; but, the pace was insane and covered a lot of it up. It did tie-up most of the issues; but, left enough wiggle room for new adventure should Disney travel in that direction int he future. At lot of Star War fans will love certain aspects, such as Wedge's appearance (not a spoiler since he was on the cover of the lead-in book) Both of my sons really enjoyed it.

That's all for now.

Reaction Score
It's a shame the worst jedi derailed this new trilogy. I would have liked to have seen a cohesive story. This film has a lot crammed into it, but it had to be done in order to provide a decent ending. Abrams didn't have much to work with, but I'm glad to see that he took a hammer and smashed the abomination that was the worst jedi.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
It's a shame the worst jedi derailed this new trilogy. I would have liked to have seen a cohesive story. This film has a lot crammed into it, but it had to be done in order to provide a decent ending. Abrams didn't have much to work with, but I'm glad to see that he took a hammer and smashed the abomination that was the worst jedi.
The Last Jedi is actually my favorite Star Wars movie. It seems like a breath of quality compared to most other bad Star Wars movies. Because cmon, even the good ones are pretty bad.

Reaction Score
The Last Jedi is actually my favorite Star Wars movie. It seems like a breath of quality compared to most other bad Star Wars movies. Because cmon, even the good ones are pretty bad.

Glad you liked it. It absolutely wrecked the story that was being built, and has been thoroughly trashed by this one, but it will always exist for those who enjoyed it for whatever reason.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
1576856822025.png

Not even Luke buys that.

Reaction Score
There were parts of Last Jedi I liked, parts I did not like.

For example, I had no issue with Luke passing as it was going to happen at some point in the new trilogy Even his best Obi-Wan hermitage impression was OK as it added emotional weight to Ben Solo's fall. But, he needed to go out in a style that better reflected who he was and how his story was part of Star Wars lore. Plus, we was supposed to be one of the greatest Jedi ever and he saw his in what, 2 lightsaber duels plus in 3 movies. Rey, Obi-Wan, and Anakin had that many duels in the first half of each of their movies.

I get that Rian Johnson was trying to 'break the chains' with The Last Jedi; but, that was not the movie to experiment with in the Star Wars franchise. His approach could have been successful outside of the main Star Wars story, similar to the success that Gareth Williams had with Rouge One or the team working in The Mandalorian now. Of course, experimenting does not always work out, just ask Ron Howard about A Solo Story, though I am not sure if that was even experimenting.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Half of the stuff in the original trilogy is ridiculous. Everything in the prequels is ridiculous.
I actually agree. The original movie was a great good vs. evil heroic quest. From Empire forward Lucas drifted from the original story. (For example, in the original story the emperor was a weak president who named himself emperor and then left running the rest of the galaxy to the regional governors, a situation that some of them like Tarkin, decided to take advantage of.)

The Force Awakens got back that into original narrative. (In fact, one can reasonably consider it a remake of A New Hope, since it is pretty much the same plot. The Last Jedi, IMO, abandoned that in favor of multiple side stories that no one cared about and absolutely wasted the core character of the first three movies. It was prequel level garbage IMHO. It lost my rekindled interest in the series. I'll probably watch the Rise of Skywalker on TV, eventually.

Reaction Score
Saw it and thought it was entertaining as hell. No, it's not going to win any Oscars - i think sometimes critics and even grown men who were once kids when they saw SW, Empire and RotJ forget that this isn't why they are making the movies. But I think they tied things up nicely - really liked the last 20 minutes.

I thought Force Awakens was better than the Last Jedi (although I thought the last jedi did have some moments), but this is the best of the "new 3" IMO.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I checked out of Star Wars when the Ewoks checked in. Can you really suspend your disbelief with this stuff anymore? It sounds like just fan service these days.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
I actually agree. The original movie was a great good vs. evil heroic quest. From Empire forward Lucas drifted from the original story. (For example, in the original story the emperor was a weak president who named himself emperor and then left running the rest of the galaxy to the regional governors, a situation that some of them like Tarkin, decided to take advantage of.)

The Force Awakens got back that into original narrative. (In fact, one can reasonably consider it a remake of A New Hope, since it is pretty much the same plot. The Last Jedi, IMO, abandoned that in favor of multiple side stories that no one cared about and absolutely wasted the core character of the first three movies. It was prequel level garbage IMHO. It lost my rekindled interest in the series. I'll probably watch the Rise of Skywalker on TV, eventually.
Hit that part about the original trilogy on the head.

But I always see that complaint that the Force Awakens is like A New Hope. I wouldn’t call it a copy, it’s an homage. It kinda uses the format as a guide but goes in the opposite direction for each plot point which is pretty creative in my book. For example, lots of people compare Mos Eisley to that other bar scene in TFA. Obviously they want you to see that connection but the purpose of the scene are completely different. Mos Eisley was used to get the team together, while the other one was used to break the team apart.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
As for the Rise of Skywalker, I loved it. People have to realize that films like this and Endgame can’t be held to the same standards as most films. They’re selling you an experience of a lifetime that’s a culmination of everything that came before, not some extremely polished movie. And that’s perfectly fine.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Somebody spoilered a major plot point in a Netflix review. Boo. It's something I thought of as a possibility, but still pretty lame. Haven't seen it yet but want to soon.

Reaction Score
Somebody spoilered a major plot point in a Netflix review. Boo. It's something I thought of as a possibility, but still pretty lame. Haven't seen it yet but want to soon.
I think it’s lame as hell

haven’t seen the movie but know what happens

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Where’s this review so I can know how and what he spoiled?

Reaction Score
Here is a spoiler: We don’t get to see Kylo REN impale Rose with a light saber.

Reaction Score
As for the Rise of Skywalker, I loved it. People have to realize that films like this and Endgame can’t be held to the same standards as most films. They’re selling you an experience of a lifetime that’s a culmination of everything that came before, not some extremely polished movie. And that’s perfectly fine.

Experience of a lifetime?

Reaction Score
I got roped into seeing this with my neighbors, and I would have rather have watched the patriots win their division again. It was not a good movie.

Reaction Score
7/10

1 point deducted for the fact Rose was in the movie.

1 point for dumb CG Leah

1 point deducted for lightning hands

Also.. The island of misfit Storm Troopers on Space Horses?

Reaction Score
It’s the ending of a story that started in the 70s so I’d say so

Man, If that’s an experience of a lifetime then that’s a pretty disappointing life. The end of episode 6 was good enough for me. These three movies have been utterly unnecessary.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom