SW Rise of Skywalker | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SW Rise of Skywalker

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm going to.go out on a limb and say that a whole lot of people liked these movies enough to go see them.

The script was always the weak link going back to New Hope. They were built in SFX and the most iconic movie villian of all time.

Most of the grumbling you hear is from people looking to sound cool for hating.

After you get past Jake Lloyd, Whiny Anakin, and Jar Jar. There is nothing wrong with these movies. I would consider this ROS one of better ones in the series. Maybe best of the sequels.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I found TROS entertaining overall. I’m going to parrot others, but the pace was solid and the last 20-30 minutes was very good. The CGI Leia dialogues were cringeworthy but I understand why they kept her in the movie. Plenty of plot holes per usual. It’s hard to believe they could introduce a more forced character to a series than Jar Jar, but Rose has made a strong case.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
7/10

1 point deducted for the fact Rose was in the movie.

1 point for dumb CG Leah

1 point deducted for lightning hands

Also.. The island of misfit Storm Troopers on Space Horses?
I’m with you on 2 of three and the Space Horse Force. Had no issue with lightning hands.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
A note on Kylo Ren
One subject that I think was really butchered was the Knights of Ren. These were supposed to be the Jedi trainees who fled Luke with him. The group that was presented was no more than some stormtroopers on steroids, or equivalents to Snoke’s personal guard. There was a lot of wasted potential there.

Reaction Score
A note on Kylo Ren and Knights of Ren. [/SPOILER]

I agree, though I have red their back story is going to be covered in the comics with a story arc about Ben Solo's fall to Kylo Ren. The word 'Ren' apparently refers to a red-balded lightsaber.

The movie also does not address if any of Luke's other students survived Ben's turn, by running from or joining Kylo, and what happened to them after. The one student that the movie touched on was trained before Luke established a formal Academy and before Kylo's story.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Interesting that it was considered a minor disappointment after opening around $176 mil. domestically this weekend and $374 mil. worldwide. The bar is set awfully high. It's the 3rd highest opener in December all time, but comes in behind the previous films in this trilogy.

Meanwhile "Cats" took in $6.5 mil. :eek: Nobody saw that had bomb written all over it, right? :rolleyes:

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Meanwhile "Cats" took in $6.5 mil. :eek: Nobody saw that had bomb written all over it, right? :rolleyes:
Cats is the only broadway musical I’ve ever seen. It wasn’t bad but the movie clips look like the musical, basically SOS but not live. When you launch the same weekend you know the studio is not expecting to capture the mainstream audience.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
These three movies have been utterly unnecessary.
You can be upset with this one. But TFA is amazing, and depending on what side of the TLJ coin you land on, that one is amazing as well.

Reaction Score
And? Cool it there. You are literally using age as an argument for why someone likes Star Wars. It’s Star Wars.
That’s a pretty silly way to dumb it down

there’s no age argument as to why someone like Star Wars; nobody is making one. We can however talk about why certain people like certain Star Wars movies given there are generational divides between trilogies.

I’m 29 by the way so you and I aren’t too far off

Reaction Score
I checked out of Star Wars when the Ewoks checked in. Can you really suspend your disbelief with this stuff anymore? It sounds like just fan service these days.
Might as well make a movie about the evolution of the Ewoks.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
I reallllly hope Adam Driver is down to make a Kylo Ren spin off film. He’s the stand-out of this trilogy and has so much more potential as a character.

One cool idea for it could be the time between TLJ and the beginning of TROS where he’s going around the galaxy like a badass sniffing out all opposition, and how he learns about Palpatine. I love the rage element that Driver brings to the character. Idk what type of arc would be here for the character, but that’s not for me to decide.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Finally saw it. Liked it for the most part. A few "huh?" moments. Like others have said, a lot going on in this film. It just really makes one wonder why Rian Johnson was handed the reigns for TLJ, seems like they could've saved themselves some grief if J.J. helmed all of them. Oh well.

Jodie Comer had a cameo in it! Took me a second to recognize her.

Reaction Score
Finally saw it. Liked it for the most part. A few "huh?" moments. Like others have said, a lot going on in this film. It just really makes one wonder why Rian Johnson was handed the reigns for TLJ, seems like they could've saved themselves some grief if J.J. helmed all of them. Oh well.

Jodie Comer had a cameo in it! Took me a second to recognize her.
Politics. Johnson has certain beliefs, and an idea to "change" Star Wars that Kathleen Kennedy shares. This could have been approached in several ways, but they chose the one that derailed this trilogy of films. He killed the story lines from the first film and boxed Abrams in for the third film. Why didn't they just give Johnson a stand alone film to implement his vision in? I'll never understand that decision.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Regarding directors, I'd forgotten that Colin Treverrow (Jurassic World) was supposed to helm Ep. IX but was given the axe. It really, really doesn't make sense that they hired 3 different directors for this trilogy. Should've just had J.J. direct all 3.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah, they should have had one director for all 3. The trilogy was very clunky as a result.

Tbh, I enjoyed TFA and TROS, but they were both kind of hollow. What's the point of making a new trilogy if you're just trying to stick to the same themes of the old trilogy? I enjoyed TLJ more than the other two, even if some of the subversion of expectations felt too forced.

Reaction Score
I thought I remember reading they wanted Abrams to do the second one but he wanted to move on. And then I read a few weeks ago that Disney didn't allow him to use an extra 2-3 months to finish the film so it was basically rushed and he wasn't thrilled.
I think he's done working with Disney.

Reaction Score
I thought I remember reading they wanted Abrams to do the second one but he wanted to move on. And then I read a few weeks ago that Disney didn't allow him to use an extra 2-3 months to finish the film so it was basically rushed and he wasn't thrilled.
I think he's done working with Disney.

I think he and Bad Robot are taking over the DC universe for WB. As for any role he may have had in the second film, we will probably never know the entire truth. One thing is for sure though, Kathleen Kennedy allowed Johnson to kill off every plot line that was started in The Force Awakens in favor of.....nonsense that just killed the momentum. Now we get the third film which just feels like a thrown together mishmash that sets out to undo said nonsense, but still results in a so so film. Star Wars, how the hell did they manage to mess it up?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom