OT: - Super Bowl halftime show | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Super Bowl halftime show

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It wasn't my thing and it was slightly more raunchy than it needed to be given the audience (stripper poles and crotch grabbing). No issue with choosing those two lovely ladies to be the entertainment. They could have done 90% of it without the negative responses.
I thought the female crotch grabbing was an interesting twist. I've usually only seen male performers do that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Technically, this is correct. If only because Adam Levine performed last year. More than one necessitates the plural form.

I gotta go back to Prince in 2007. Gaga was better than I expected, but it wasn't Prince-level.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I gotta go back to Prince in 2007. Gaga was better than I expected, but it wasn't Prince-level.
Prince was among the Safe Wake of the Jackson/1st Timberlake appearance. The shows started incorporating more recent stars again in 2011 with the Black Eyed Peas.

Gaga, Timberlake II, and certainly Perry were all recent year shows that were better than this year's edition, IMO.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
It was the best halftime show in years. Maybe Steely Dan will do next years for you malcontents.
52 year old malcontent here. Hated it because I hate the musical genre. The jiggling was not enough for me to tolerate the "performance". Would a little bit of rock kill them? Foo Fighters would rock. I'm not a fan, but I would wholeheartedly embrace Dave Matthews. Anything. Living on a Prayer seems to be the most popular stadium sing along going, can they get Bon Jovi? Dual stages with a little of each type. I'm willing to share.
It was also the 100th anniversary of the NFL. Maybe find a period defining band (if available) from the 60's, 70's. etc.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
52 year old malcontent here. Hated it because I hate the musical genre. The jiggling was not enough for me to tolerate the "performance". Would a little bit of rock kill them? Foo Fighters would rock. I'm not a fan, but I would wholeheartedly embrace Dave Matthews. Anything. Living on a Prayer seems to be the most popular stadium sing along going, can they get Bon Jovi? Dual stages with a little of each type. I'm willing to share.
It was also the 100th anniversary of the NFL. Maybe find a period defining band (if available) from the 60's, 70's. etc.
Dude! Did you not hear the "Kashmir" sample or see Shakira playing guitar and drums?!?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Prince was among the Safe Wake of the Jackson/1st Timberlake appearance. The shows started incorporating more recent stars again in 2011 with the Black Eyed Peas.

Gaga, Timberlake II, and certainly Perry were all recent year shows that were better than this year's edition, IMO.

I assume Prince isn't your thing, but I have to chuckle at Prince = "safe", even in that social environment. And not like he wasn't still relevant. Three years off a hugely successful tour of Musicology that impacted how distribution/concert finances were handled.

As to the post directly above, yeah, maybe the Foos could do it, but Bon Jovi or Dave Matthews? lolz.

You liked the baby sharks, eh?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dude! Did you not hear the "Kashmir" sample or see Shakira playing guitar and drums?!?

I didn't even notice it. Honestly, if there are lots of dancers, I'm not on board. Give me a band and just the band. I can tolerate maybe a maximum of 3 backup singers. But I'm roughly the same age as @Fairfield_1st.

I'll always remember Kashmir as the song Mark Ratner erroneously played on his date with Stacey Hamilton in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Mike Damone clearly told him to play side one of Led Zeppelin IV, but I think the Rat did well with Physical Graffiti.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm amazed how recent this stuff is. They used marching bands, often Grambling, for a long time.

I agree Prince was good. I recall the Blues Brothers and ZZ Top being good. Paul McCartney was excellent.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm amazed how recent this stuff is. They used marching bands, often Grambling, for a long time.

I agree Prince was good. I recall the Blues Brothers and ZZ Top being good. Paul McCartney was excellent.

Yeah, I looked at the history too. The first "rock" show was Chubby Checker in XXII, IIRC. Followed the next year by an Elvis impersonator (Elvis Presto).

Husky25

Reaction Score
I assume Prince isn't your thing, but I have to chuckle at Prince = "safe", even in that social environment. And not like he wasn't still relevant. Three years off a hugely successful tour of Musicology that impacted how distribution/concert finances were handled.

As to the post directly above, yeah, maybe the Foos could do it, but Bon Jovi or Dave Matthews? lolz.

You liked the baby sharks, eh?

2005 - Sir Paul McCartney
2006 - Rolling Stones
2007 - Prince
2008 - Tom Petty
2009 - The Who
2010 - Madonna Cirque, Nicki Manaj, and Cee Lo Green

I didn't say Prince was "safe." I said he was among the "Safe Wake." Purely from an entertainment standpoint, whatever he did was not going to rise to the level of a nip slip, nor do I think that most people watching the Super Bowl could care much less about how concert finances are distributed.

It's been 28 years since the halftime show went to it's current format of live music concerts, as a result of FOX airing In Living Colour opposite Super Bowl XXVI halfetime. There were only 3 major networks, 2-3 "minor (UHF)" networks, a maximum of 54 other (yet more or less, niche) channels, and no Internet or streaming services to compete with the Super Bowl.

FOX took 22 Million viewers from the broadcast in 1992. Maybe it's time for the NFL and their broadcasting partners to either revert or think outside the box on Halftime entertainment. Make it Must-See again.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I didn't even notice it. Honestly, if there are lots of dancers, I'm not on board. Give me a band and just the band. I can tolerate maybe a maximum of 3 backup singers. But I'm roughly the same age as @Fairfield_1st.

I'll always remember Kashmir as the song Mark Ratner erroneously played on his date with Stacey Hamilton in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Mike Damone clearly told him to play side one of Led Zeppelin IV, but I think the Rat did well with Physical Graffiti.
Agree to disagree on the dancing and the purpose of the halftime show. I’m 53 and listening to and watching music is my greatest passion in life but I don’t expect the Super Bowl to scratch that itch any more than I expect a trip to Epcot to satisfy my passion for international travel. I go into both experiences simply hoping to be entertained, and I was.

Totally agree re Kashmir. That’s always my thought, too, and I thought about it instantly last night when I heard it. I always wondered whether that was Crowe’s mistake or Ratner’s because they never mentioned it in the movie and it’s a pretty obscure joke.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Super Bowl IV included a War of 1812 battle re-enactment. With today's technology, how can that not be entertaining?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree on the dancing and the purpose of the halftime show. I’m 53 and listening to and watching music is my greatest passion in life but I don’t expect the Super Bowl to scratch that itch any more than I expect a trip to Epcot to satisfy my passion for international travel. I go into both experiences simply hoping to be entertained, and I was.

Totally agree re Kashmir. That’s always my thought, too, and I thought about it instantly last night when I heard it. I always wondered whether that was Crowe’s mistake or Ratner’s because they never mentioned it in the movie and it’s a pretty obscure joke.
Crowe toured with Led Zepplin. I'd be willing to bet it was intentional on his part...if he had anything to do with it. In fact Amy Heckerling posted not too long ago something to the effect of the song was meant to show Rattner's awkwardness around Stacey.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The country has lost its moral compass and it's a shame.

You don't sit down with your family to watch the Superbowl to see two attractive half naked women, surrounded by other attractive half naked woman, shaking and running around a stage.

No! You watch so you can see large sweaty muscular men in tight pants forcibly wrestle each other to the ground. Some do so while avoiding long-term brain damage and almost guaranteed financial ruin by the age of 40. That, is wholesome family entertainment. That, is what you show the women and children.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I didn't hear Kashmir. As you can tell I wasn't paying much attention. I did see Shakira get on the drums and made a snarky Sheila E comment.

Reaction Score
This thread is high comedy, I’ve learned.

1) There is someone on the board that has lived under a rock for the past 30 years - Jennifer Lopez, never heard of her - you must be a hoot at parties - “let’s talk about the monetary policy of peru” much.

2. Apparently some possess limited to zero ability to appreciate things they don’t like. I don’t like opera, but I’ve been and appreciate it for what it is and the talent required to be at the top of that field.

3) We’ve got moral outrage. This was what made you say the moral compass of this country is shot? Where the hell have you been - hanging out with the dude that never heard of JLo - well welcome to the party, pal.

4) People actually care about this - who knew. This has to be a sign the apocalypse is near.

Too funny. Thank you for making my chuckle this morning.

Reaction Score
And then there’s this, I didn’t watch the halftime show. Why? I don’t like girly pop music and I knew exactly what the whole thing would be played out as. It couldn’t be any more predictable. So am I old , smart , dumb or all the above ?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's come full circle.

Evidently there is a 5th faction, representing those who are offended that maybe some people were not entertained, but also not offended by any stretch, by the Super Bowl halftime show.

Reaction Score
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's come full circle.

Evidently there is a 5th faction, representing those who are offended that maybe some people were not entertained, but also not offended by any stretch, by the Super Bowl halftime show.
Why do people whine about it? I think country music blows but I don't post about how much I think it blows or how it offends me. If it's on during at the halftime of the Suoer Bowl I change the channel or if I'm watching at someone else's place I go find something else to do for 15 minutes.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Why do people whine about it? I think country music blows but I don't post about how much I think it blows or how it offends me. If it's on during at the halftime of the Suoer Bowl I change the channel or if I'm watching at someone else's place I go find something else to do for 15 minutes.

Why do people give their opinion on Internet message boards, generally designed as forums to express one's opinion? I'm not sure. Perhaps, "the answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. The the answer is blowing in the wind."

Reaction Score
Nowadays, the internet has provided a forum for anyone who wants to complain. There is certainly no shortage of that anywhere. I just read a blog from an adult entertainer who complained that JLo's performance was cringeworthy since she only did a basic move and criticized her as being exploitative since she does not do enough to support their industry.

Reaction Score
4) People actually care about this - who knew. This has to be a sign the apocalypse is near

Yes it is and stay away from egg salad sandwiches. I have a theory the apocalyse, the zombie apocalypse anyway, is gonna manifest from a bad egg sandwich. I hope noone watching the game this past weekend because it could trigger the end of times!!! :eek::D:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom