Sunday Games 01/12 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sunday Games 01/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I wasn't talking about posters on this board; I was talking about Muffet. She didn't disappoint: "Welcome to the ACC," McGraw quipped after her team's first victory by single digits this year.
Perfect, Cat.

You set 'em up and Muffet comes through.

Virginia? VIRGINIA????

ND has three really good players. Everyone else is a crap shoot when you play decent teams.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yeah, yeah, we know. Keep flinging your usual Cards crap. Tell me Alex, how many of your "any good" teams have beaten 2 top ten teams? Who are you going to prop up up ahead of Louisville? Are you going to laud Baylor, or MD, even Duke, Stanford, or ND. The standard test of whether you are a good team is whether you can beat the top 10 teams. Louisville has done that, whether you want to pooh-pooh it. Sounds to me like both Louisville and KY are up there, because even if you win "pillow fights" against L-ville and Baylor, point is, you won them. Today, for instance UTenn did not.
Are you referring to the now unranked Oklahoma (11-6) and Colorado?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I haven't seen a ton of basketball this season...but Tennessee just looked bad. No ability to stop Vanderbilt's guards, minimal emphasis to feed the posts (Graves/Harrison/Russell) and poor shooting/decision making by Simmons. For playing 4 years of college basketball, Meighan Simmons has never learned how to share the basketball. Down the stretch she shot the ball whenever she had touched it (even when there was a better shooter/better option available) and doesn't look like she has improved her decision making at all.

Bashaara Graves...what happened to her this year? At this point last season she was regarded as the best freshman in the nation. Nobody would consider her anywhere near Loyd/Stewart at this point.

Maybe this was just a bad showing for Tennessee, but considering how much talent they have in the post, I don't understand why their trio of talented posts (Harrison/Russell/Graves) only took 13 shots (hitting 8 of them) while Simmons was able to launch 21 (and only manage to hit 8)

Your description of a game I didn't see mirrors the way they play every game.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think I have figured out Kentucky!

I think!!!

With the type of defense the Wildcats play, Mitchell is always rotating players in for the "40 minutes of dread".

I think that hurts the offense. Why? The players cant get into any kind of offense flow because there are so many different players in and out of lineup. If I am a PG, its hard to bring the ball down the floor and look for offense when 8/10 times I am looking at 4 different players.

I've said that about many teams in the past. Sometimes these excessive substitutions just hinder the flow of the game.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I know it is bad and ugly and prolly despicable, but I just can't keep myself from taking a quick trip over yonder to Volnation on occasions like this. I just did, and it did not disappoint. Checkerboard Square must look like Napoleon's retreat from Moscow!

Reaction Score
Some upsets, some close games, some parity. There are many more talented players in women's basketball. Now if the coaches do their job the way it should be done, the gap will close even more.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Are you referring to the now unranked Oklahoma (11-6) and Colorado?
Actually Nan, I was talking about how KY beat two top 10 teams called Baylor and Louisville, both of whom are usually talked about as top 10 teams that could make it to the Elite 8. Maybe you have a different view of their abilities, but with UConn's game against Baylor coming up tomorrow, I'm certainly not the one who's going to go belittling them for any reason. Never good to underestimate an opponent. What that has to do with Alex's comment about KY is beyond me, and as far as I know, KY never played either of those teams.

If you want to join Alex in doing the usual "dump on Louisville" club for any reason, well as always, to each his\her own.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Noooooooooooooooooooooo. My fantasy game is UCONN beating TENN for the N.C. in Tenn. :eek:

68 TO GO

Well my dream matchup of course would be UCONN vs Duke in the Championship..... well actually my dream matchup would be Duke vs somebody like Hampton,.. North Dakota.. Montana... et al. But UCONN vs TENN would be entertaining....... and would be great for WCBB ratings.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Actually Nan, I was talking about how KY beat two top 10 teams called Baylor and Louisville, both of whom are usually talked about as top 10 teams that could make it to the Elite 8. Maybe you have a different view of their abilities, but with UConn's game against Baylor coming up tomorrow, I'm certainly not the one who's going to go belittling them for any reason. Never good to underestimate an opponent. What that has to do with Alex's comment about KY is beyond me, and as far as I know, KY never played either of those teams.

If you want to join Alex in doing the usual "dump on Louisville" club for any reason, well as always, to each his\her own.

Actually in your original post... you typed Louisville when you meant to type KY ... in terms of beating two top 10 teams. I believe thats why Nan asked you about Oklahoma and Colorado

Yeah, yeah, we know. Keep flinging your usual Cards crap. Tell me Alex, how many of your "any good" teams have beaten 2 top ten teams? Who are you going to prop up up ahead of Louisville? Are you going to laud Baylor, or MD, even Duke, Stanford, or ND. The standard test of whether you are a good team is whether you can beat the top 10 teams. Louisville has done that, whether you want to pooh-pooh it. Sounds to me like both Louisville and KY are up there, because even if you win "pillow fights" against L-ville and Baylor, point is, you won them. Today, for instance UTenn did not.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Actually in your original post... you typed Louisville when you meant to type KY ... in terms of beating two top 10 teams. I believe thats why Nan asked you about Oklahoma and Colorado
Uh, yeah, apologies on that, since two teams from the same state are sometimes hard to pull apart in a post. To get this all straight....... KY has beaten two Top 10 teams that include Louisville and Baylor, both of whom have also shown reasonably good action this year. To say that KY is a pileofpoop team because they don't blow away Mizoo in the first half seems off the mark to me. Both Louisville and Baylor's status as top teams could be questioned, but I still think the Cards' wins over LSU, FSU, Colorado, and OK show that they're not that terrible, and that KY's wins over top 10 teams may indicate that they have some feeble puff of life in them too.

And yes I know that Louisville is really just Shoni since she scores 20% of her team's points, just as UConn is just Stewie since she scores 22% of her team's points. All those "one trick" teams out there should rightly be castigated, just like UConn in 2003 with DT.

Why do we need to drop the acid?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
DobbsRover2 said:
Actually Nan, I was talking about how KY beat two top 10 teams called Baylor and Louisville, both of whom are usually talked about as top 10 teams that could make it to the Elite 8. Maybe you have a different view of their abilities, but with UConn's game against Baylor coming up tomorrow, I'm certainly not the one who's going to go belittling them for any reason. Never good to underestimate an opponent. What that has to do with Alex's comment about KY is beyond me, and as far as I know, KY never played either of those teams. If you want to join Alex in doing the usual "dump on Louisville" club for any reason, well as always, to each his\her own.
. Your mancrush on Jeff Walz is kind of disturbing, but to each one's own indeed.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Louisville's eight point shellacking of USF was fantastic!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Louisville's eight point shellacking of USF was fantastic!
Sure Alex, your usual poop. The Cards goes to the NC again and all you can do is spit at them because they knocked off beloved Baylor. And again, you hate Jeff so much that today you fall into your usual "oh they're down in the first half so they are truly horrible" routine. Of course after you do that act they go on to win, but to you it's a loss because they're Louisville and because you ejected prematurely again. Whatever.

All I know is that the Cards are #5 in Sagarin and Massey even if they are #355 in Alex's Special Rankings. I think Jeff, Shoni, and the Cards can live with that.

And USF's #58 in Sags, and Massey predicted Louisville would win by 14, so 8 is not that far off. You can spit more bile at the other AAC teams, but I'm believing they have some life in them. Hope that's not too disturbing to you.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sure Alex, your usual poop. The Cards goes to the NC again and all you can do is spit at them because they knocked off beloved Baylor. And again, you hate Jeff so much that today you fall into your usual "oh they're down in the first half so they are truly horrible" routine. Of course after you do that act they go on to win, but to you it's a loss because they're Louisville and because you ejected prematurely again. Whatever.

All I know is that the Cards are #5 in Sagarin and Massey even if they are #355 in Alex's Special Rankings. I think Jeff, Shoni, and the Cards can live with that.

And USF's #58 in Sags, and Massey predicted Louisville would win by 14, so 8 is not that far off. You can spit more bile at the other AAC teams, but I'm believing they have some life in them. Hope that's not too disturbing to you.
You might want to either simmer down or take it to PM.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
A few questions for those in the know:

Why didn't Russell log more than 14 min for TN? Thought I read earlier this season that she was as good as advertised as a center.

At this point in the season, aren't you supposed to be tweaking things and adding a few new wrinkles to prep for the NCAA tourney? It seems odd that Holly W was still confounded by TN's defensive effort, when she's said a few times that that's what they worked on the most, and not too much offense . Season is past the halfway point and it's almost too late to be adding and teaching new things, no?

If Simmons pulled a Hartley, ie, volunteered to come off the bench like last year, would it make a huge difference with TN?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hope we have no occasion for a long, long time to test the mettle of we, the Boneyard nation, after a sucky loss. In Vol land a large number are calling for Warlick's head and. a certain number are always in denial and run to "it was the refs, it's always the refs" .

I take no joy in the troubles in the Tenn program. Joy is too tame an emotion. It's closer to ecstasy!:)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A few questions for those in the know:

Why didn't Russell log more than 14 min for TN? Thought I read earlier this season that she was as good as advertised as a center.

At this point in the season, aren't you supposed to be tweaking things and adding a few new wrinkles to prep for the NCAA tourney? It seems odd that Holly W was still confounded by TN's defensive effort, when she's said a few times that that's what they worked on the most, and not too much offense . Season is past the halfway point and it's almost too late to be adding and teaching new things, no?

If Simmons pulled a Hartley, ie, volunteered to come off the bench like last year, would it make a huge difference with TN?

A couple of more losses like this and the team may lose whatever spirit and cohesion it has. Graves tweeted after the game: "If I was free to actually speak my mind. [grumpy face emoticon]. https://twitter.com/BASH931

I agree that HW's post game floundering was pretty pathetic. Boiled down to : I don't know how to get them to play defense.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You think they miss the leadership of Williams and Spani?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Here we go.....

Have they lost Margo? I've watched quite a few of her videos, and she always, always has on Tennessee gear, usually a hat, she has more than one, and often a t-shirt or sweatshirt.

Today, I'm trying to listen to her, but all I can focus on is the Lakers hat.

What is she trying to say?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member