Sunday (3/10) games | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Sunday (3/10) games

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oregon:
Wins over Stanford, Miss St, Oregon St, Syracuse
Losses to Stanford, Oregon St, UCLA, Mich St

I think it's worth noting that Oregon also beat UCLA twice this year. They weren't ranked but since UCLA shows up on their list of losses, they did take 2 out of 3 against them.

Reaction Score
And again, that’s four wins by Oregon that will be better in the committee’s eyes than MSU’s best win.
Oregon was a #2 in the last reveal. Losing the tournament might not be rewarded by the committee. After all, they knocked Louisville from a #1 for losing to ND. As long as they stay in Portland, Oregon would be OK as the #2 seed.

Reaction Score
At this moment, I'm gonna say
UConn/Stan
Bay/Iowa
ND/Miss St
Lou/Ore

Reaction Score
I think it's worth noting that Oregon also beat UCLA twice this year. They weren't ranked but since UCLA shows up on their list of losses, they did take 2 out of 3 against them.

For wins, I only listed teams in the top 16.

Reaction Score
UConn/Stan
Bay/Iowa
ND/Miss St
Lou/Ore
Since that is the logical bracketing, the confused selection committee will never go for it. I will go with:
Bay/ Iowa
ND/ Stanford
UCONN/ Louisville
Miss St/ Oregon

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme just tweeted:
"Some ups and downs to Championship Sunday on the 1-line. Now the top seeds are Baylor, Notre Dame, UConn, and Mississippi St. The 2’s: Louisville, Oregon, Stanford, Iowa"

Reaction Score
Mississippi State versus Top 25

Wins
No. 12 South Carolina (2x)
No. 13 Kentucky
No. 15 Texas A&M
No. 17 Marquette
No. 21 Texas

Losses
No. 6 Oregon

I still see MSU as a No. 2 seed, but it wouldn’t surprise me them being the No. 1 seed in Portland.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Oregon was a #2 in the last reveal. Losing the tournament might not be rewarded by the committee. After all, they knocked Louisville from a #1 for losing to ND. As long as they stay in Portland, Oregon would be OK as the #2 seed.
Oregon was the overall #5. The committee hasn’t knocked Louisville from a 1 seed. That was Creme predicting.

It’s not about rewarding a team for losing. It’s about not dropping them below another team that didn’t beat anyone nearly as good as the team they just lost to.

Reaction Score
While I congratulate Tara on a great victory over Oregon after Stanford was crushed by Oregon at Stanford earlier, I think a major factor in the game today was the opponent each team had yesterday. Oregon played a great UCLA team that no team would like to face in the NCAA tournament, while Stanford played the worst team in the PAC12, Washington.

Reaction Score
Oregon was the overall #5. The committee hasn’t knocked Louisville from a 1 seed. That was Creme predicting.

It’s not about rewarding a team for losing. It’s about not dropping them below another team that didn’t beat anyone nearly as good as the team they just lost to.
I agree with you 100%. But the selection committee has a strange way of evaluating strength of schedule.

Reaction Score
I don't see how Miss St ends up higher than Louisville. UNLESS Fuehring is out.

Cards have wins over UConn, NC St (x2), Syracuse
Losses to ND (x2) and Miami

Miss St has wins over So Carolina (x2), TAMU
Losses to Oregon and Mizzou

Lou has better wins and better losses, and not really that close.

You guys are a trip.
Vic scheduled Texas, Oregon, Washington, Virginia, all tourney teams last year from top leagues. Also Furman and Lamar, both top 2 teams in their conferences as mid majors.
Can’t help it when teams don’t perform to standards, or lose their coach (Washington) and struggle.

Should be ND and State in the final again.

Plebe

Reaction Score
You guys are a trip.
Vic scheduled Texas, Oregon, Washington, Virginia, all tourney teams last year from top leagues. Also Furman and Lamar, both top 2 teams in their conferences as mid majors.
Can’t help it when teams don’t perform to standards, or lose their coach (Washington) and struggle.

Should be ND and State in the final again.
It doesn’t matter to the committee if some of their opponents were worse this year than last year or the year before. All that matters to them is how good they are this year.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Mississippi State wins over RPI top 30 teams: SC (x 2), Kentucky, Marquette, A&M, Missouri, and Texas. That's 7.

Louisville wins over RPI top 30 teams: NcState (x 2), UConn, Central Michigan, Kentucky, Syracuse, Florida State, and Arizona State. That's 8.

The big win Louisville has is over UConn, otherwise our win total against top 30 teams is identical. Whether or not we deserve #1 or #2 I dunno. Maybe committee thinks 1 less overall loss (30-2 vs 29-3) overcomes 1 less win over an RPI top 30 team. But you can also argue that Louisville winning over UConn essentially jumps you up one seed regardless of what else you do with the rest of your opponents.

I'm a Mississippi State fan, so obviously I'll come to the support of my team, but I get the arguments for Louisville. Again this is a borderline case, so I have no strong position on this either way.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Mississippi State wins over RPI top 30 teams: SC (x 2), Kentucky, Marquette, A&M, Missouri, and Texas. That's 7.

Louisville wins over RPI top 30 teams: NcState (x 2), UConn, Central Michigan, Kentucky, Syracuse, Florida State, and Arizona State. That's 8.

The big win Louisville has is over UConn, otherwise our win total against top 30 teams is identical. Whether or not we deserve #1 or #2 I dunno. Maybe committee thinks 1 less overall loss (30-2 vs 29-3) overcomes 1 less win over an RPI top 30 team. But you can also argue that Louisville winning over UConn essentially jumps you up one seed regardless of what else you do with the rest of your opponents.

I'm a Mississippi State fan, so obviously I'll come to the support of my team, but I get the arguments for Louisville. Again this is a borderline case, so I have no strong position on this either way.

And what made you decide to pick top 30 as your cutoff point. Pretty convenient I would say.

Again Louisville has 4 wins better than MSU’s best win. And MSU has a loss that is worse than Louisville’s worst loss. To me this isn’t even close.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Mississippi State versus Top 25

Wins
No. 12 South Carolina (2x)
No. 13 Kentucky
No. 15 Texas A&M
No. 17 Marquette
No. 21 Texas

Losses
No. 6 Oregon

I still see MSU as a No. 2 seed, but it wouldn’t surprise me them being the No. 1 seed in Portland.
That's poll rankings; not RPI. Committee doesn't look at the polls.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
So glad the PAC 12 final is on ESPN2. The PAC 12 network is SD and blurry no matter how I adjust the picture.

If you have it at all on your cable TV package, you can probably watch Pac-12 net on your computer in hi-def by logging in with your TV provider login. Of course your internet connection to the Pac-12 net's servers has to be good for that to work well.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
And what made you decide to pick top 30 as your cutoff point. Pretty convenient I would say.

Again Louisville has 4 wins better than MSU’s best win. And MSU has a loss that is worse than Louisville’s worst loss. To me this isn’t even close.

Ok, let's go to top 50.

We have that one more win against Auburn. That would make it 8 wins against the top 50.

Louisville has North Carolina, Miami (OH), and Boise State. That would make it 11 wins against the top 50.

Not sure how you can say Miami (OH) and Boise State should count as quality wins. Then I guess Lamar counts as a quality win for us. What is your cutoff point then? I'm not intentionally making a cutoff point so that's it convenient for me, but not sure where you would start to make one. As for 4 wins over the best win we have, well... maybe not everyone overemphasizes that. It's your opinion against someone else's (Creme) who clearly disagrees with you, dude.

Again, I see this as a borderline case and I'm not saying we absolutely deserve a #1. Just not sure why you're so adamantly giving us the short end of the stick.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Both Oregon and Stanford trump Miss. State in just about all the categories, including RPI and SOS. Plus, Oregon has a head-to-head win over Miss. State. Stanford is the only team to beat Baylor. Not sure what Crème is smoking.

Reaction Score
Louisville and Notre Dame were both #1 seeds. I thought most people were saying that a #1 beating a #1 should still leave both teams as #1. Yes, it was a 20 point victory, but without two of Louisville's star players for most or all of the game. How would Notre Dame have fared without Young and Turner?

Louisville should still be a #1 and I might keep Oregon ahead of Mississippi State. Would Mississippi State have defeated Stanford instead of a tired Arkansas team? I don't think so.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It's your opinion against someone else's (Creme) who clearly disagrees with you, dude.

Again, I see this as a borderline case and I'm not saying we absolutely deserve a #1. Just not sure why you're so adamantly giving us the short end of the stick.

Please don’t take it personal, “dude.” I’m not out to hand out short or long ends of anything. Simply stating my analysis as I see it. This is a message board after all. I just happen to think Creme is wrong in this instance about Louisville. With Oregon I would say it’s a borderline call. Oregon has the better wins but also has the losses to Michigan State and UCLA.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
UConn/Stan
Bay/Iowa
ND/Miss St
Lou/Ore
If I went strictly by RPI, and ignored the sites of the regionals, I'd go with:

Chicago - Notre Dame/Miss. State
Portland - Baylor/Iowa
Greensboro - Louisville/Oregon
Albany - Stanford/UConn

Taking the regional sites into consideration, and predicting what the committee would do (to get fans in the seats), I'd go with:

Chicago - Notre Dame/Iowa
Portland - Baylor/Oregon
Greensboro - Louisville/Miss. State
Albany - Stanford/UConn

Plebe

Reaction Score
If I went strictly by RPI, and ignored the sites of the regionals, I'd go with:

Chicago - Notre Dame/Miss. State
Portland - Baylor/Iowa
Greensboro - Louisville/Oregon
Albany - Stanford/UConn

Taking the regional sites into consideration, and predicting what the committee would do (to get fans in the seats), I'd go with:

Chicago - Notre Dame/Iowa
Portland - Baylor/Oregon
Greensboro - Louisville/Miss. State
Albany - Stanford/UConn
If Louisville is still a 1 seed they almost certainly go to Portland. Baylor will be in Greensboro IMO. That has been the case in each of the two reveals so far.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Please don’t take it personal, “dude.” I’m not out to hand out short or long ends of anything. Simply stating my analysis as I see it. This is a message board after all. I just happen to think Creme is wrong in this instance about Louisville. With Oregon I would say it’s a borderline call. Oregon has the better wins but also has the losses to Michigan State and UCLA.

Based on the guidelines that you use, what justifies UConn as a #1 seed then? They have that win over Notre Dame, but pretty much nobody else after that. Unless you're counting 3 wins over UCF as quality wins.

I know this is a message board and assuming that everyone here loves those RPI numbers, I can use those same numbers too. We're #40 in SOS, UConn is #41. Identical wins and losses. They have no bad loss, while we have that one against Missouri. But we collected better wins overall. There's pluses and minuses in favor of both.

Say I concede Louisville should be ahead of us. If we go by those same RPI/SOS numbers, they probably should be ahead of UConn too. And UConn and Mississippi State might also be a borderline case.

And please don't think I'm fighting you on purpose, I'm just trying understand how people are evaluating this because this feels like a little bit of heat against Mississippi State on a day where we go 18-1 in the SEC for the 2nd straight year. Like I said, their arguments for Louisville being over us is logical, but if we use those same arguments, then they should be over UConn too. Again, outside of UConn's win over Notre Dame, Louisville has way more better wins than UConn overall.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
If Louisville is still a 1 seed they almost certainly go to Portland. Baylor will be in Greensboro IMO. That has been the case in each of the two reveals so far.
Did the reveals actually indicate to which sites the seeds were placed?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom