Sunday (3/10) games | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Sunday (3/10) games

Reaction Score
For those of us without cable of any sort here's the replay of the best performance of the day.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Based on the guidelines that you use, what justifies UConn as a #1 seed then? They have that win over Notre Dame, but pretty much nobody else after that. Unless you're counting 3 wins over UCF as quality wins.

Are you forgetting that UConn also beat South Carolina? I'm sure the Mississippi State folks would love to know that you don't consider their best two wins to be worth anything.

I personally would project Louisville as still ahead of UConn at #3 overall. I don't believe, as Charlie apparently does, that losing to ND with 2 starters (presumably) temporarily out injured is going to drop them behind teams that haven't beaten anyone nearly as good as Notre Dame **since the last reveal six days ago**.

But IMO UConn stays a #1 seed (for now, pending tomorrow's outcome) because I don't believe that MSU, Oregon or Stanford did enough **in the past 6 days** to bring their **overall resume** up past UConn's. Remember it was the committee that had UConn as #4 overall on March 4. UConn's resume is light on quality wins but they do have the win at ND *and* also have no losses to teams outside the committee's most recent top 2 teams. It wouldn't have shocked me to see UConn on the 2 line six days ago, but again it was the committee who had them as a 1 seed.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Thanks for those links.

The Greensboro regional will be pretty low in fan attendance if Baylor and Iowa are sent there as the top two seeds (and they end up in the regional final). NC State there as a #3 seed helps a bit, but placing South Carolina there, too, would guarantee a better fan turnout.

The other 3 regionals will do fine in attendance if Oregon, ND, and UConn go to nearby regional sites.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Are you forgetting that UConn also beat South Carolina? I'm sure the Mississippi State folks would love to know that you don't consider their best two wins to be worth anything.

I personally would project Louisville as still ahead of UConn at #3 overall. I don't believe, as Charlie apparently does, that losing to ND with 2 starters (presumably) temporarily out injured is going to drop them behind teams that haven't beaten anyone nearly as good as Notre Dame **since the last reveal six days ago**.

But IMO UConn stays a #1 seed (for now, pending tomorrow's outcome) because I don't believe that MSU, Oregon or Stanford did enough **in the past 6 days** to bring their **overall resume** up past UConn's. Remember it was the committee that had UConn as #4 overall on March 4. UConn's resume is light on quality wins but they also have no losses to teams outside the committee's most recent top 2 teams. It wouldn't have shocked me to see UConn on the 2 line six days ago, but again it was the committee who still had them as a 1 seed.

Ok, my bad with the South Carolina omission. But even with that, I think Mississippi State still has more better wins overall. SC and Notre Dame is what UConn has, but pretty blank after that.

My overall point is that if people (not you specifically) short end us because of our SOS rank, you can do the same for UConn. If they short end us for lack of overall quality wins, you can do the same for UConn.

If we go by recent play, I agree that we shouldn't jump anyone because we beat Arkansas, but Oregon has added losses recently which in my opinion should drop them below us. And if we also go by recent play, Stanford probably has the strongest claim than anyone that they should move up.

And this is just my opinion not trying to be argumentative, but imo only Baylor and Notre Dame should be CLEAR #1 seeds. I think there are arguments against everyone else. For Louisville, it's a shaky tournament run. For Oregon, it's those recent losses. For Stanford, it's because of the hole they dug with the early losses. For UConn, it's lack of overall quality wins. For Mississippi State it's beating Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, LSU, Arkansas, and Tennessee as 5 out of our last 7 wins, which is nothing special I agree.

Thanks for clarifying anyways.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Summarizing the day again:

No major surprises, really. The biggest upset of the day was Creighton over Butler in the Big East. Stanford over Oregon is an extremely mild upset if at all. And even though Iowa and Fordham were 2 seeds who beat 1 seeds (Maryland and VCU) for their conference title, I would consider those to be pick-em games.

Winners in bold below:

Championship games on ESPN2:
ACC: Notre Dame (1) vs. Louisville (2) (12pm ET)
SEC: Mississippi St (1) vs. Arkansas (10) (2pm)
Big Ten: Maryland (1) vs. Iowa (2) (6pm)
Pac-12: Oregon (1) vs. Stanford (2) (8pm)

Other championship games:
A-10: VCU (1) vs. Fordham (2) (12pm ET)
SoCon: Mercer (1) vs. Furman (2) (12pm)

Big 12 semifinals:
Baylor (1) vs. Kansas St (4) (3pm ET)
Iowa St (2) vs. Texas (3) (5:30pm)

AAC semifinals:
UConn (1) vs. USF (5) (4pm, ESPN2)
UCF (2) vs. Cincinnati (3) (6:30, ESPNU)

Big East quarterfinals
Marquette (1) vs. St. John's (9) (1pm ET)
Georgetown (4) vs. Villanova (5) (3:30pm)
DePaul (2) vs. Providence (7) (7pm)
Butler (3) vs. Creighton (6) (9:30pm)

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme's latest bracketology: Posted tonight.

Greensboro
Baylor
Iowa
NC State
S Carolina

Chicago
Notre Dame
Stanford
Maryland
A&M

Albany
UConn
Louisville
Syracuse
Oregon State

Portland
Miss State
Oregon
Miami
Iowa St

Reaction Score
Mississippi State wins over RPI top 30 teams: SC (x 2), Kentucky, Marquette, A&M, Missouri, and Texas. That's 7.

Louisville wins over RPI top 30 teams: NcState (x 2), UConn, Central Michigan, Kentucky, Syracuse, Florida State, and Arizona State. That's 8.

The big win Louisville has is over UConn, otherwise our win total against top 30 teams is identical. Whether or not we deserve #1 or #2 I dunno. Maybe committee thinks 1 less overall loss (30-2 vs 29-3) overcomes 1 less win over an RPI top 30 team. But you can also argue that Louisville winning over UConn essentially jumps you up one seed regardless of what else you do with the rest of your opponents.

I'm a Mississippi State fan, so obviously I'll come to the support of my team, but I get the arguments for Louisville. Again this is a borderline case, so I have no strong position on this either way.

For me Louisville has 3 losses one was a blowout out by ND, they are not a number 1 seed.
Real classy by Vic. Leaving his starters in when they're up by 20 with less than 2 minutes just so they can hit 100 and run the lead up to 30.

You see that Neighbors (one of the most affable coaches around) wanted nothing to do with the handshake? That's why.
I watched the replay, Vic and Mike shook hands, spoke and then continued down line, no difference than any other game. Guess we see what we want to see!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Thanks for those links.

The Greensboro regional will be pretty low in fan attendance if Baylor and Iowa are sent there as the top two seeds (and they end up in the regional final). NC State there as a #3 seed helps a bit, but placing South Carolina there, too, would guarantee a better fan turnout.

The other 3 regionals will do fine in attendance if Oregon, ND, and UConn go to nearby regional sites.

Maryland had one job.... and they could have presumably have a 4.5 hour drive to their old stomping grounds here in Greensboro... and sent Iowa presumable to Chicago.... about a 4.5 hour drive from their campus. But they failed at that job

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I've watched a bit of Iowa this year, they're entertaining. Gustafson is outstanding of course. I also find myself appreciating Doyle and Stewart, nice complimentary players.

Iowa pulling away, up 15 w/ about 6 minutes left. Gustafson has 43 points and counting.

When ND beat Iowa earlier in the year, Doyle was still rehabbing an injury. Without her there, the ND zone took a few steps back and surrounded Gustafson and, indirectly, Stewart.

BTW, Kathleen Doyle, for those who can open up their scandal Mac Files, was part of the Connie Yow "resignation" situation. She was committed to Nebraska when that whole situation broke at Nebraska and the Cornhuskers allowed her to de-commit. After (re)interviewing with a number of (primarily) B1G schools she chose Iowa. Very nice pick-up for the Hawkeyes.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I was banned for calling them something else. So yes, facetious it is!
I was also cautioned as to my characterization of Ms Ogunbowale as anything other than lovely! So I get it! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Maryland had one job.... and they could have presumably have a 4.5 hour drive to their old stomping grounds here in Greensboro... and sent Iowa presumable to Chicago.... about a 4.5 hour drive from their campus. But they failed at that job
Hard to beat someone when your entire frontcourt fouls out. I knew when Stephanie Jones got a foul 30 seconds into the game it was going to be a long night. Maryland bigs had 11 fouls in the first half.

Reaction Score
Hard to beat someone when your entire frontcourt fouls out. I knew when Stephanie Jones got a foul 30 seconds into the game it was going to be a long night. Maryland bigs had 11 fouls in the first half.
For me Louisville has 3 losses one was a blowout out by ND, they are not a number 1 seed.

I watched the replay, Vic and Mike shook hands, spoke and then continued down line, no difference than any other game. Guess we see what we want to see!

I think many of you are too immersed in statistics. You might think of using the old eye test. Based on yesterday’s gaAmes, Oregon is lucky to stay in the top 8 teams. Maybe it was an off day, but I didn’t see anything to warrant all of their hype.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Some of that must fall on the players though.
Owens had 5 fouls in 6 mins of play.
Austin had 5 fouls in 14 mins of play.
Jones had 5 fouls in 10 mins of play.
Sounds like the MD players weren't learning anything or Gustafson is just that BEAST!

Reaction Score
Watching the Maryland Iowa game it is my opinion that the officiating was very tight. Lots of ticky tack fouls called.

Reaction Score
Some of that must fall on the players though.
Owens had 5 fouls in 6 mins of play.
Austin had 5 fouls in 14 mins of play.
Jones had 5 fouls in 10 mins of play.
Sounds like the MD players weren't learning anything or Gustafson is just that BEAST!
The telling story was Mikesell and Lewis didn't commit any fouls. That was because they played poor defense. There were several times when Iowa lobbed a pass over a defenders head and Gustufson caught it in front of the basket. Where was the help defense in those instances? Someone should have rotated over and deflect those passes at a minimum. Also Fraser had three fouls for a grand total of 18 fouls by our bigs. And that doesn't include Charles three fouls guarding Gustafson late in the first half because there were no other players to guard her.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Charlie has had Louisville pegged for Chicago, not Notre Dame.
And of course that was predicated on Louisville winning the ACC Tournament. If ND had lost to Louisville, your "I had ND going to Chicago..." would not have been true, they would be in Portland or somewhere else by the Committee, the only bracket that matters.

Reaction Score
And of course that was predicated on Louisville winning the ACC Tournament. If ND had lost to Louisville, your "I had ND going to Chicago..." would not have been true, they would be in Portland or somewhere else by the Committee, the only bracket that matters.
YEP...@Centerstream, Charlie posted a NEW Bracketology last night at 12:30AM with the new placements.

Reaction Score
Arike and Mabrey have mastered getting away with the forearm push off when they dribble

They get away with a lot more than push off especially Arike.
. I wish the refs would pay special attention to her during a game. I wouldn’t mind the delay during a game if they called all the fouls she does.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
If you have it at all on your cable TV package, you can probably watch Pac-12 net on your computer in hi-def by logging in with your TV provider login. Of course your internet connection to the Pac-12 net's servers has to be good for that to work well.
Thanks for the suggestion. Since the P12 network is done with women's bball now that the conference is done, however, I may not need to login until next year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Based on yesterday’s gaAmes, Oregon is lucky to stay in the top 8 teams. Maybe it was an off day, but I didn’t see anything to warrant all of their hype.

It's a long season. EVERY top team has looked bad for at least a game or two. Oregon was rolling along most of the season, but they've lost their mojo a bit the last several weeks. No reason they can't bounce back.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Do Maryland fans travel well?

It seemed like the ACC championship game between Louisville and ND in Greensboro was well-attended. Whose fans were there in masses? That's the team the committee should try to send to Greensboro, unless it was ND fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom