success of recruiting misses | The Boneyard

success of recruiting misses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can anyone name a recruiting target who we lost out on that became an all american and won a national championship?

Reaction Score
Can't think of any that were all american, but for those who won a championship?

Most recent recruits were Brandon Knight & Doron Lamb, who both won a championship with Kentucky in 2012.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can't think of any that were all american, but for those who won a championship?

Most recent recruits are Brandon Knight & Doron Lamb, who both won a championship with Kentucky in 2012.

Knight wasn't on that team.

Reaction Score
Kevin Durant who we missed on was an all american but did not win a championship.

Reaction Score
Here's a close one -- they lost out on John Wallace (he late made the all american team) and he took Syracuse to the final. I thought we had him, too.

Reaction Score
Wayne Ellington and Wayne Turner are the ones that come to mind ... I think we offered both.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Given the parameters of the question, that would be a very small sampling. In the last 15 years, we've won the most championships - twice as many as UNC, Puke, and Florida. There were only 4 other teams that won a title. Of the 8 that won titles other than us, we really don't recruit much against Maryland, Michigan State, and Florida - some but we win more battles than we lose. Probably hard to identify many if any.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Given the parameters of the question, that would be a very small sampling. In the last 15 years, we've won the most championships - twice as many as UNC, Puke, and Florida. There were only 4 other teams that won a title. Of the 8 that won titles other than us, we really don't recruit much against Maryland, Michigan State, and Florida - some but we win more battles than we lose. Probably hard to identify many if any.

We're recruiting against MD and FL for recuiting targets now so I wouldn't say that's the case. MSU and UConn not being in battles I'd mostly agree with, but there was an off-season transfer we fought over recently as well.

Also, Louisville won a few years ago and they certainly are involved in battles with us. Who was on the UL team that we recruited? Did we recruit Russ Smith?

Reaction Score
We definitely were in on Ellington and Turner; I'm pretty sure we recruited Lance Thomas from Duke, Ed Davis and Deon Thompson from UNC, Russell Robinson from Kansas, Joakim Noah...

Reaction Score
Wayne Ellington and Wayne Turner are the ones that come to mind ... I think we offered both.
Oh my gosh, Wayne Turner..... He was soooo trash, glad we didn't get him and was thankful for all the points guards we DID get. I wouldn't have traded any of them for him.

Reaction Score
Kevin Durant who we missed on was an all american but did not win a championship.
weren't we one of the first schools he visited... thought he was a lock at one point but it didn't turn out that way

Reaction Score
Oh my gosh, Wayne Turner..... He was soooo trash, glad we didn't get him and was thankful for all the points guards we DID get. I wouldn't have traded any of them for him.

Wayne Turner went to three national championships and won two rings. Plenty of guys don't make it in the NBA. He was by no means trash.

Reaction Score
Wayne Turner went to three national championships and won two rings. Plenty of guys don't make it in the NBA. He was by no means trash.
Just for the sake of asking, what was he GOOD at? And which Husky guard would you trade him for?

Reaction Score
Just for the sake of asking, what was he GOOD at? And which Husky guard would you trade him for?

That he wasn't as good as Moore or El-Amin doesn't make him trash. He was a key player on three Final Four teams and two champs. He wasn't trash.

Reaction Score

he played with a ton of talent back then ( Ron Mercer, Tony Delk, Antoine Walker, Nazr Mohammed, Derek Anderson, Walter McCarty)... stacked

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In the last 15 years, we've won the most championships - twice as many as UNC, Puke, and Florida.
Had to give you a like because it still makes me smile every time I think of this fact. And I still have a hard time believing it's true.

Reaction Score

He certainly wasn't trash; although he was unbelievably overrated especially as the consensus top point guard in his class. Two titles and a cup of coffee in the pros is something. Isn't Turner pretty similar to Ricky and Taliek? Super solid complimentary guys who didn't make mistakes?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn basically had Wayne Turner before he was delivered to Kentucky - that was the real start of the BABC-UConn kerfuffle.

UConn recruited Turner for years. I mean years and years.

They wanted to sign four guards in that class - Turner, a kid named Anton Reese, Moore and Rash.

They got Rash and Sam Funches. (Later, they got Jamar Dunmore, but not sure they ever expected him to qualify.)

Ricky visited in November and basically committed on the spot. They thought they had Reese signed and sealed but Alabama convinced him to cancel his press conference and give them another shot...which worked.

They almost sealed the deal with Turner and then BABC insisted that he hold off and eventually arranged to boost Kentucky into Turner's good graces. Ditto for Randell Jackson who was close to committing to UConn before Papille convinced him to cross UConn off.

In place of Turner, basically, UConn signed Dion Carson and when Dunmore and Jackson didn't pan out, they turned into Antric Klaiber.

Reaction Score
I forgot all about Jamar Dunmore... Randell Jackson and Turner were going to be the future and I thought we had them both in the bag before Papile did his shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom