success of recruiting misses | Page 2 | The Boneyard

success of recruiting misses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Randell Jackson would've been great at UConn. I think if he had come here, he probably would've been a 1st round pick instead of being undrafted.

Reaction Score
The fun part of this discussion was Pitino cut Ollie when Pitino was coach of the Celtics, in favor of Wayne Turner (his former KenSucky player), who played a grand total of 3 NBA games. I believe Pitino later said he felt pressure to keep Turner over Ollie. Pitino seems to gush over Ollie these days.... does he even talk about Turner?

Reaction Score
Didn't they go hard after Russell Robinson and even Darrell Arthur who won 2008 Champ @ Kansas.

Reaction Score
Lou Alcindor actually visited UConn. I don't know if it was serious, but several people close to the UConn program told me that he was a major target. Another one not mentioned previously is Rod Foster nicknamed the "rocket." He was a high school All American from St. Thomas Aquinas. He went to UCLA; he was the PG on the Bruins last final four team until the '90's. He played for UCLA '79-83. This was during the period when UConn couldn't recruit the top players in Connecticut at all. As Fishy has correctly pointed out, later on the top
players in Mass. were blocked by Leo Papile.

It took Calhoun quite a few years to reverse that trend, unfortunately what was a gusher of talent had become a trickle by the time Calhoun
was bringing in solid classes. Now we are in another period of abundant talent in New England; fortunately UConn is much better situated
to take advantage of its regional location.

Reaction Score
i can't remember, were we really close to landing durant? were we in his final list of schools or something? can't remember at the moment. wonder what the reason he went to texas was

Reaction Score
i can't remember, were we really close to landing durant? were we in his final list of schools or something? can't remember at the moment. wonder what the reason he went to texas was
Yes, very close. It was Texas or UCONN. Reason he went to Texas was Rick Barnes showed him a trunk full of money.

Reaction Score
Can anyone name a recruiting target who we lost out on that became an all american and won a national championship?
I don't know if any of these guys were recruiting targets but they all played high school ball in the state of Connecticut, granted a lot of them came long before Calhoun did, but given the large number of great players that came out of this state, it's a shame none of them played in Storrs......

Michael Adams
Ryan Gomes
Vin Baker
Marcus Camby
Calvin Murphy
Jay Murphy
Sly Williams
Soup Campbell
John Williamson
John Bagley
Lamar Odom
Charles Smith
John Pinone
Rod Foster
Harold Pressley
Mike Gminski

Last edited:
Reaction Score
academics dude-you gotta be alot more game than just with X signature if yous matriculate at storz,majorly-did yous ever take a statistics exam at dee old farm barm or a fine tuned chem exam or copernicus style physics exam or mass multiples poly sci exam with min 10 choices per question with half such as {a,b,not c; d,b, maybe e; a,f,sometimes b,d; ad infinitum}

get de brain on and see what yo got after doze

Reaction Score
academics dude-you gotta be alot more game than just with X signature if yous matriculate at storz,majorly-did yous ever take a statistics exam at dee old farm barm or a fine tuned chem exam or copernicus style physics exam or mass multiples poly sci exam with min 10 choices per question with half such as {a,b,not c; d,b, maybe e; a,f,sometimes b,d; ad infinitum}

get de brain on and see what yo got after doze
You just didn't get the right school dude! You should have played your hoops at North Carolina, teachers there could have helped you a lot! You could have graduated with honors.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
The one big fish we lost and many thought we had in the early years was Perry Carter who ended up at OSU. It seemed he was coming to Storrs but we couldn't close the deal. Must have seen all the towels on the Field House floor!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Weren't we also high on Kevin Garnett's list until he decided to got directly to the league?

Reaction Score
I don't know if any of these guys were recruiting targets but they all played high school ball in the state of Connecticut, granted a lot of them came long before Calhoun did, but given the large number of great players that came out of this state, it's a shame none of them played in Storrs.

Michael Adams
Ryan Gomes
Vin Baker
Marcus Camby
Calvin Murphy
Jay Murphy
Sly Williams
Soup Campbell
John Williamson
John Bagley
Lamar Odom
Charles Smith
John Pinone
Rod Foster
Harold Pressley
Mike Gminski

would add Tyson Wheeler to that list.. the best player to come out of New London, (sorry Kris). Lead URI to elite 8 played a few years in the NBA . never herd if Uconn was ever involved with him

Reaction Score
Lamar Odom

I don't consider Lamar Odom a CT kid. He went to CK and St. Thomas Moore. I believe we were also recruiting him as well. He had a really strange recruiting battle with UNLV and URI.

Reaction Score
I don't consider Lamar Odom a CT kid. He went to CK and St. Thomas Moore. I believe we were also recruiting him as well. He had a really strange recruiting battle with UNLV and URI.
Yeah I hear you about him not being a CT kid like the others on the list, only reason i added him was because Calhoun and company were definitely involved with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom