Stuff you didn’t know you needed | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Stuff you didn’t know you needed

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Since Friday’s game is off, thought I’d see who else has made recent purchases that exceeded expectations or filled an unknown need. In part inspired by my neighbors who used the electric leaf blower I gave them constantly this fall. A used Toro leaf blower that is $75 new. Why the hell didn’t they buy one years ago? Also think this ties in to the Bonfire fire pit discussion.

1. Battery Keeper. Saw the always lovely Lisa Robertson on Local Steals pitching the battery buddy or whatever. Didn’t buy that but the idea was planted, so I bought a soft sided briefcase version on Amazon. Rounded up all our household batteries in drawers, ziplocks, open packaging etc. and stored them all. Including the little disc ones I always lose and rebuy. For $20 it has been great. Asked myself why I didn’t do that years ago.

2. Tiger Tail. This is a hand held massage roller device that competes with The Stick and the usual Chinese knockoffs on Amazon. Suffering from various pains of aging and finding foam rolling difficult and annoying this thing has been great. Really seems to help. It’s made in the USA so worth it to me over the knockoffs. Build quality is excellent. I’m understand the Stick is better for a more gentle usage for runners and is more flexible.

3. Concept 2 Rower. This thing is awesome. Only negative is it takes up space. I’ve used them at the gym, mostly as a warmup, since the early 2000s. Build quality is amazing and the full body workout is just light years beyond what I can get on a treadmill of my old stationary bike (gifted to the same folks who got the leaf blower). I was surprised by just how much it can take out of my legs if I push it (yes the Tiger Tail was partially in response to that). There is a big community of people using these so lots of good information and it’s easy to see just how bad you are compared to others.

Two of the above can be ordered via the Amazon link at the top of the page to help support the Boneyard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On the practical side:

I got a long shoehorn for Xmas once. Can't live without it.

Also a telescopic back scratcher is numero 2.

1610660910433.png

Reaction Score
Thermoworks Thermapen hands down
They sell a Timestick with a lanyard too. You can set the functions for Timer, Count Up and clock. I use this an an auxiliary alarm. You never know with a clock radio when the power goes off when you have to wake up at a certain time.

Of course, it is a cooking timer, and that is what it advertises itself as the primary purpose.

Reaction Score
back to the leaf blowers - after too many years of doing this (rakes when living at my parents) finally hired a service for the leaves.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Can I ask for a little more background on this one? I’m 50+. At what point will it be where I cannot put my shoes on normally?

Never unless you are crazy enough to buy dress shoes. I saw that and I thought, are there people still wearing dress shoes? Even my "dressy" work shoes now are these. Men's ZERØGRAND Eon Wingtip Oxford in Black-Ironstone-Vapor Grey | Cole Haan No shoe horn required.

But mostly I'm wearing pull on running shoes at this point. Maybe someday I actually go back to the office.

Reaction Score
Can I ask for a little more background on this one? I’m 50+. At what point will it be where I cannot put my shoes on normally?
Before I didn't always put my shoes on properly. I'd stuff my foot in and then work the back in with my foot. Sometimes I would guide them with my finger.

The advantage of the shoe horn is that I'm protecting my shoes from wearing out in the back or becoming weakened over time in the heel part. It also keeps my shoe in better shape.

I had developed a lazy habit over time, so its beneficial to my shoes more than me.

Reaction Score
Don't be a pessimist. I am 70+. I consider using a shoehorn the "normal" way to do it. I have used one well before I was 50. Just sit on a chair or on your bed and use the long shoehorn. Not as long as the one in the picture.. I think that picture is a caricature anyway.

Always better to use a shoehorn and not try to maneuver your foot into the shoe with your hands.

Maybe you will always be able to put your shoes on, as long as you are using a shoehorn.

Reaction Score
Went to a cocktail class in our village. Won a bottle of Bob Dylan's Heaven's Door bourbon - 100 proof. That makes seven different bottles of bourbon in the cabinet.
You reminded me of a story my wife told me about an elderly friend who died. When they cleaned out her dresser she had all sorts of brand new underwear, blouses and other stuff. Same with the closet having unused clothes and shoes.

Since hearing that story (years ago), I purposely try and not keep new or unused stuff too long. Much of what I buy isn't for museums or cataloging anyway.

Just saying, bust it open and enjoy at least one of them, you never know.

Reaction Score
Not to be a total pedant, but I think you mean olive oil has a low smoke point. Honestly, the two biggest issues I see with family/friends that consider themselves bad cooks is defaulting to olive oil/cooking spray for EVERYTHINg and not using enough salt. Figure out those two areas and your meals become much better.

The heating to dry thing is less a purist or quality thing and more to make sure that it's actually dry. If you're drying with a towel, you'll probably (aside from ruining your towel) leave some moisture on that will rust over time. Inherited a few nicer old cast iron pans from my wife's grandmother and ended up having to grind them down to bare metal and reseason to get rid of caked on rust from her not drying them over the years.
Dove.. One last thought to ponder as you head into the weekend.. There are benefits besides the culinary benefits when you are cheffin' with cast iron.. You can fact check if you like..

You will also absorb additional iron into your body through the food by cooking this way vs other methods(cookware)... Pretty cool..

Bon appetit

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You reminded me of a story my wife told me about an elderly friend who died. When they cleaned out her dresser she had all sorts of brand new underwear, blouses and other stuff. Same with the closet having unused clothes and shoes.

Since hearing that story (years ago), I purposely try and not keep new or unused stuff too long. Much of what I buy isn't for museums or cataloging anyway.

Just saying, bust it open and enjoy at least one of them, you never know.
And if huskeynut drinks 7 bottle of bourbon he'll be more than willing to put on the new, old lady underwear.

Reaction Score
FWIW modern soap doesn't have any impact on cast iron because they don't use lye. A little soap, a chain mail scrubber, and elbow grease are the best way to go. As long as you put it back on the stove to dry it off to avoid rust, it's fine.

I have cooked on cast iron or used my dutch oven for the past 4 or 5 years exclusively at home. That only changed this past Christmas--fiance bought me a carbon steel pan. You season it a lot like a cast iron. I thought she was nuts because it's just like a cast iron... but I think the shape of the pan is a lot better than my cast irons (really old classic Wagner one's) for anything with sauces. Browning meats it's about the same, but I still use my cast iron when I can because I know it so well.

The only downside is that the seasoning is a little more finnicky. It took me a couple tries to get it to really stick and I think it's prone to peeling off if you're not careful. Cast irons are really bullet proof... literally, lol... once you have a base of seasoning there's practically nothing you can do to mess them up.

It's one of these bad boys--I believe the 11 inch version.
Yeah carbon steel conducts better and is thinner, so you can change the heat more quickly. Quicker to boil, easier to go from boil to simmer, easier to remove from heat so you don't burn galic/veggies, etc. Cast iron retains heat very well and radiates a lot of heat due to its mass, so once you pre-heat it, when you put a cold piece of meat to sear it won't lower the temp much and you'll get a quicker/more robust sear. And goes in the oven better, although looks like that carbon steel one can, too, but I'd trust the cast iron to warp less.

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
They make a product called thermapop which suffices for a home cook and is significantly cheaper. I've had one for a few years, durability is still good.
That's cool, hadn't seen it. When I bought my thermapen, it came with a free miniature version one as well, and it's pretty darn accurate. I see they now sell them, called a "fun size" thermometer, for $15. So that could be a cool low cost option too.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That's cool, hadn't seen it. When I bought my thermapen, it came with a free miniature version one as well, and it's pretty darn accurate. I see they now sell them, called a "fun size" thermometer, for $15. So that could be a cool low cost option too.

They have a new thing that is a bit better than the Thermapop for almost the same price. I got one for my wife two weeks ago. It’s called Dash. DASH and DASH Mini | ThermoWorks. I was all set to get a Thermapop to replace her crappy meat thermometer when I saw the review for this.

My Thermoworks Smoke arrived today. Package left in a dumb spot and my wife ran over it with her car. No damage. Their stuff is pretty robust.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
They have a new thing that is a bit better than the Thermapop for almost the same price. I got one for my wife two weeks ago. It’s called Dash. DASH and DASH Mini | ThermoWorks. I was all set to get a Thermapop to replace her crappy meat thermometer when I saw the review for this.

My Thermoworks Smoke arrived today. Package left in a dumb spot and my wife ran over it with her car. No damage. Their stuff is pretty robust.
It really is. i'm sure there are many phone app setups that could do basically what the Smoke does. But this thing is top notch, and will absolutely outlive me.

Reaction Score
There are benefits besides the culinary benefits when you are cheffin' with cast iron..
You will also absorb additional iron into your body through the food by cooking this way vs other methods(cookware)... Pretty cool..
If it helps good nutrition then cast iron is a no-brainer because as you well know, cheffin ain't easy.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
Did anyone mention a Costco membership? Obviously you can go with Sams or BJs, but for me it is Costco.

Gas and food. Their hot dog and soda deal. Their liquor store has tons of Kirkland brand products that are as good as name brand. Definitely a must have.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom