Stuff you didn’t know you needed | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Stuff you didn’t know you needed

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Since Friday’s game is off, thought I’d see who else has made recent purchases that exceeded expectations or filled an unknown need. In part inspired by my neighbors who used the electric leaf blower I gave them constantly this fall. A used Toro leaf blower that is $75 new. Why the hell didn’t they buy one years ago? Also think this ties in to the Bonfire fire pit discussion.

1. Battery Keeper. Saw the always lovely Lisa Robertson on Local Steals pitching the battery buddy or whatever. Didn’t buy that but the idea was planted, so I bought a soft sided briefcase version on Amazon. Rounded up all our household batteries in drawers, ziplocks, open packaging etc. and stored them all. Including the little disc ones I always lose and rebuy. For $20 it has been great. Asked myself why I didn’t do that years ago.

2. Tiger Tail. This is a hand held massage roller device that competes with The Stick and the usual Chinese knockoffs on Amazon. Suffering from various pains of aging and finding foam rolling difficult and annoying this thing has been great. Really seems to help. It’s made in the USA so worth it to me over the knockoffs. Build quality is excellent. I’m understand the Stick is better for a more gentle usage for runners and is more flexible.

3. Concept 2 Rower. This thing is awesome. Only negative is it takes up space. I’ve used them at the gym, mostly as a warmup, since the early 2000s. Build quality is amazing and the full body workout is just light years beyond what I can get on a treadmill of my old stationary bike (gifted to the same folks who got the leaf blower). I was surprised by just how much it can take out of my legs if I push it (yes the Tiger Tail was partially in response to that). There is a big community of people using these so lots of good information and it’s easy to see just how bad you are compared to others.

Two of the above can be ordered via the Amazon link at the top of the page to help support the Boneyard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What promotion is this? What pan? We do not have any cast iron and I am consid
What promotion is this? What pan? We do not have any cast iron and I am considering.
On my news feed..It's 12" Lodge cast iron skillet for less than 25.00.. Promotion is about items under $25.00 thru Amazon this weekend..
8"/10.25" also seem well-priced.. FWIW..I understand WalMart (of all places)..Has pretty good pricing on Lodge as well..

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I got the wooden spoon and lived to laugh about it today.
in hungarian, 'fukkanal,' too funny to a child's ears. on the udder hand, rarely used, we were more a wooden yardstick clan. also, too funny, as waiflike but formerly horseriding mom, would make the move for me or my bro, each almost double her size by post puberty, close to 200 lbs by frosh hs time, and we'd be like 'what's that gonna do beside break?' we learned right quick it was nuthin, unless we giggled. another lesson; don't giggle at ur moms warnings - it may hurt ur backside.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I picked up a cast-iron pan off Craigslist, had our neighbor who sharpens knives as side business get it completely sanded to smooth metal, then I re-seasoned it but used Avocado oil (high smoke point). On the bottom of my pan it says "Wapak #9". The pan has a very smooth surface (not pebbly), taller more vertical sides that are thinner too, so pan weighs a little less than you'd expect, but it still is solid. Haven't really cooked with it yet due to still in midst of remodeling, but I'm looking forward to using it.

One things I will desperately need is a good cooking thermometer so I don't overcook things. What is a decent one to get?

'I bought several cast iron pans and dutch ovens at an auction for a dollar. Each had a fair amount of rust. I stuck them in the oven using the self cleaning mode (or whatever it's called). After they cooled down the rust was just ash, and easy to remove.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1612387048123.png

When you gotta go...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Table In a Bag.

Have had one for some twenty-plus years now and probably have sold at least that many during that time because of how many people ask where they can get one:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
shoe goo. the cobbler is problematic as his hours have become sketchy, and he is not coveniently local, so when my 'workboots needing attention' list grew to three, i took the plunge, and the result was sufficently acceptable to put them back into use. not cobbler good, but good enuf for workboots. i don't care what they look like when plodding thru mud, or woodchips.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Table In a Bag.

Have had one for some twenty-plus years now and probably have sold at least that many during that time because of how many people ask where they can get one:

You need to become an internet vendor between this and the Bonfire Solo, you already a head start on your product line.
1612822949986.png

(Plus I can get you a deal on some roadside toilets.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
shoe goo. the cobbler is problematic as his hours have become sketchy, and he is not coveniently local, so when my 'workboots needing attention' list grew to three, i took the plunge, and the result was sufficently acceptable to put them back into use. not cobbler good, but good enuf for workboots. i don't care what they look like when plodding thru mud, or woodchips.
Wow!! We used to use that stuff in the 1970's on our tennis sneakers. The issue was with players that dragged their back foot on the serve as they came forward and wore out the toe area of the sneaker prematurely.

Reaction Score
Also GREAT on bathtub soap scum

On natural stone or tile? cleaning the natural stone in a large floor to ceiling shower with benches is a PITA and I'm always looking for anything that can alleviate any of that work

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
On natural stone or tile? cleaning the natural stone in a large floor to ceiling shower with benches is a PITA and I'm always looking for anything that can alleviate any of that work
Someone else can probably help you get it good and clean to start. But once it is, this stuff is pretty great. You only have to use it maybe twice a week (daily is overkill, and even once a week seems to be fine), it smells good, and it works. A single bottle lasts a long time. And zero effort other than spraying. We have really hard water and my wife's a mess with the 20 different products she has in our shower, so it was a wreck. Now, it's great.

Now that I think about it, this belongs in the stuff you didn't know you need thread.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The best thing you can buy to strap to that is a Toyota Land Cruiser to pull you out when you get stuck or break on the trail. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lol you had to huh! They don't even have solid axles or locking diffs anymore do they? Man toyota is so overdue for a new taco and 4 runner, they need to come out with something soon. I wonder if they'll go the Wrangler/bronco gladiator/trx/raptor directions.

Since you mentioned recovery I do need to get a yankum rope, and a front bumper with a winch, and a tailgate table!

Edit: I would love one of those older land cruisers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol you had to huh! They don't even have solid axles or locking diffs anymore do they? Man toyota is so overdue for a new taco and 4 runner, they need to come out with something soon. I wonder if they'll go the Wrangler/bronco gladiator/trx/raptor directions.

Since you mentioned recovery I do need to get a yankum rope, and a front bumper with a winch, and a tailgate table!

Edit: I would love one of those older land cruisers.

Nope, but they are still engineered to run a very long time. My wife has a 100 it will handle a lot of stuff, more than almost anyone will ever be able to throw at it

I have a herd of FJ-40's, 45's and 55's so I'm solid axle all around with some with air lockers and most have had the 2F's replaced with LS1 motors and one about to get a new cummins.

2F motors are tough in today's driving climate, but the 1970 FJ-40 plow truck still has an F motor in it and it goes like a champ even with plywood sides.

i daily drive winter and summer either the 76 or 77 land cruiser and sometimes spend 10 hours in them because they are still a blast to drive.

Winches cam be spendy and if you really aren’t going to use one that often any harbor freight job will do. A top end warn is like 3-4k. I primarily use a 12k# Ramsey, but i skid logs with that truck it works but its a worm gear winch so it is SLOW.

Reaction Score
Nope, but they are still engineered to run a very long time. My wife has a 100 it will handle a lot of stuff, more than almost anyone will ever be able to throw at it

I have a herd of FJ-40's, 45's and 55's so I'm solid axle all around with some with air lockers and most have had the 2F's replaced with LS1 motors and one about to get a new cummins.

2F motors are tough in today's driving climate, but the 1970 FJ-40 plow truck still has an F motor in it and it goes like a champ even with plywood sides.

i daily drive winter and summer either the 76 or 77 land cruiser and sometimes spend 10 hours in them because they are still a blast to drive.

Winches cam be spendy and if you really aren’t going to use one that often any harbor freight job will do. A top end warn is like 3-4k. I primarily use a 12k# Ramsey, but i skid logs with that truck it works but its a worm gear winch so it is SLOW.
That's awesome man! Yea I'm definitely going with a harbor freight winch. They have come a long way and like you said I'm not going to use it often. Yea I need to add a rear locker to my Wrangler and maybe in the future I'll do an axle swap. We'll see how long the engine lasts. Whenever it gives up the ghost I'll just replace it though. Not a fan of the latest toyota stuff but those older fjs are awesome, would gladly take one of those. I hope toyota catches up though. Always nice to have more options in the future!

Reaction Score
That's awesome man! Yea I'm definitely going with a harbor freight winch. They have come a long way and like you said I'm not going to use it often. Yea I need to add a rear locker to my Wrangler and maybe in the future I'll do an axle swap. We'll see how long the engine lasts. Whenever it gives up the ghost I'll just replace it though. Not a fan of the latest toyota stuff but those older fjs are awesome, would gladly take one of those. I hope toyota catches up though. Always nice to have more options in the future!

If you're questioning how long your engine will last that's quite a statement to jeep quality!!!

You've pinpointed why land cruiser guys roll their eyes at most jeep guys - it looks good, but it's going to break if I ever really use it.

I'll tell my friends at the UN and and a couple of NGO's that serve africa to upgrade their fleet of land cruisers for jeeps and promptly get laughed out of the room.

Reaction Score
Lol
If you're questioning how long your engine will last that's quite a statement to jeep quality!!!

You've pinpointed why land cruiser guys roll their eyes at most jeep guys - it looks good, but it's going to break if I ever really use it.

I'll tell my friends at the UN and and a couple of NGO's that serve africa to upgrade their fleet of land cruisers for jeeps and promptly get laughed out of the room.
Lol yea that's the leg that toyota fans stand on. It's sort of legit, but not entirely. The 3.6 v6 I have in mine has a very good track record with the jk wranglers, and the TJ's engines are bullet proof. The main reason jeeps get a bad wrap is because they are super modified by everyone. You watch a youtube video, don't really know what your doing and start screwing stuff up under the hood with the electrical... Ect..ect... Can you put 38s on a Wrangler sport with a 2 inch lift? Sure. Will you destroyed your Alex shafts in your Dana 30? Yup. Is that on Jeep or the guy that modded it? People fool with their differentials, axles, electrical, pcm, drive shafts, brakes, you name it. I'm not saying toyota doesn't have the same issues, but to a much lessor extent than wranglers do.

But I can definitely recognize that toyota is known for their build quality and engines lasting a long time. If they ever came out with an exciting off-roader id consider them in the future. Right now though they are pretty boring. They should bring the fj back and not make it a 4 runner clone.

Edit: if you build your Jeep for how you want to use it, it won't break. You cant do serious rock crawling with Dana 30s. Bronco is going to have similar issues. Ifs, big tires, and uneducated off-roaders = found off road dead

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

u skid logs? what kind? and for firewood or for timber? are we related?

Reaction Score
Adams is way more athletic than he gets credit for. He's had some impressive dunks on occasion. He just has little ability to use it in a game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Copper grill sheets.

Never heard of them until friends brought one on vacation to make some buttery shrimp dish on the grill a few years ago.

Great for stuff you don’t want to flash and for small stuff like shrimp or asparagus that might fall through.

Remembered them because I used one tonight for some grilled shrimp, while grilling asparagus on a grate on the other half of the grill.

I’ve used two so far; used the first one at least a half dozen times before tossing it and I’m probably on that many uses for the second and it looks like it will probably go a few more.

Still get plenty of charring and grill marks if desired. Just more even cooking and a flatter, solid surface.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Copper grill sheets.

Never heard of them until friends brought one on vacation to make some buttery shrimp dish on the grill a few years ago.

Great for stuff you don’t want to flash and for small stuff like shrimp or asparagus that might fall through.

Remembered them because I used one tonight for some grilled shrimp, while grilling asparagus on a grate on the other half of the grill.

I’ve used two so far; used the first one at least a half dozen times before tossing it and I’m probably on that many uses for the second and it looks like it will probably go a few more.

Still get plenty of charring and grill marks if desired. Just more even cooking and a flatter, solid surface.

Wife got me these 3 years ago. I thought she fell for some “as shown on TV“ crap. But nope, they are essential. Fantastic for veggies and delicate meats like most fish. I use them most often to grill wings, which fall apart otherwise. They come out fantastic. They also prevent flare ups from over charring fatty foods.

They last me about 6-10 uses depending on what I cook. Cheap on Amazon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom