Student Game Attendance – Root Cause Problem Solving | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Student Game Attendance – Root Cause Problem Solving

Reaction Score
Do a hoops ticket giveaway with prime seating but winner isn't announced until end of game and you have to be in the section to win.
Other than that I got nothin. I don't think the students give a rats ass and I dont think it's changing until we are in a good conference.
Meanwhile the poor band that does a great job gets stuffed in a corner. Maybe it's time to switch the seating of the two.

Reaction Score
I am going to play “back-in-my day”, so please bear with me. I was at Penn in the late 1960s. Ivy League football culture was far from the SEC/BiG model. My fraternity brothers and I would walk six blocks to Penn’s on-campus Franklin Field for a 2:00 kickoff.

At game’s end, we’d walk the six blocks back to the house, have dinner, then get ready for the best fraternity parties on campus.

No 45 minute bus rides. No waiting for buses to leave back to campus. The entire focus of my experience was campus (and party) driven.

Need I say more to explain the students’ lackluster attitude toward The Rent.

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, my enthusiastic embrace of the party culture was a major reason for my academic demise at Penn, resulting in three years of service in the U.S. Army before transferring to UConn, where I received a terrific education.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If you attend all home games you get to place out of the math requirement (if you’re a humanities major) or humanities requirement (if you’re a stem major). Problem solved.
This would unironically work lmao

Reaction Score
Those who care to, throw a buck or two into a collection box as they enter the stadium. At end end of the game the amount collected is awarded to a seat number and the student in that seat gets the prize so long as they are in their seat at the time of the drawing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The vast majority of students who got themselves to the game left at halftime of a game with UConn up two. Maybe — just maybe — it’s time to quit blaming others for the fact that the student body just doesn’t give a damn.
Of course, they don't give a damn about a product that's located at a half hour off-campus. Might they be more likely to actually give a damn if it were actually an integrated part of campus life rather than an off-campus activity choice that requires an hour of commuting? Probably.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Of course, they don't give a damn about a product that's located at a half hour off-campus. Might they be more likely to actually give a damn if it were actually an integrated part of campus life rather than an off-campus activity choice that requires an hour of commuting? Probably.
This argument would be stronger if they didn't leave a game at halftime that they were already at...

CL82

Reaction Score
This argument would be stronger if they didn't leave a game at halftime that they were already at...
Perhaps. Or perhaps it just speaks to the fact that they aren't emotionally invested in an event that takes place 30 miles off campus?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Perhaps. Or perhaps it just speaks to the fact that they aren't emotionally invested in an event that takes place 30 miles off campus?
Then they wouldn't have been there to begin with, right?

Unless you mean that they aren't emotionally invested in the product, in which case, there is NO location that will help make their attendance better...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
students will be there vs Wake. Im confident.
I hope so.

This all reminds me of UConn basketball in the 80s, where we had Jeff King and Gerry Besselink singing "you can't sit down" on TV commercials to drum up interest. But then we had the Dream Season, and the rest is history.

Football needs to have a second dream season. We had one in 2010, but conference realignment and poor coaching hires wiped it away. Let's hope the Second Dream Season will come soon...

CL82

Reaction Score
Then they wouldn't have been there to begin with, right?

Unless you mean that they aren't emotionally invested in the product, in which case, there is NO location that will help make their attendance better...
No, there were plenty of things I did off-campus that I went to because it was something to do. Doesn't mean I was particularly emotionally invested in it.

I love you, buddy, but the argument that having a football team that does not play on campus doesn't impact students connection with the team really doesn't hold water. Honestly, the best argument for the Rent is that "it already exists" and thus is more meaningful than any fictional alternative. That would be tough to disagree with. You could also say that it's great tailgating, or that there isn't a bad seat in the house, both of those things are true as well. At some point in the future, though, the state will have to decide whether to invest significant amounts of money at Rentschler Field or invest in an on-campus stadium. Hopefully, at that point in time, they'll consider the fact that it likely makes sense to actually put it where the students are and invest in future generations of fans.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
No, there were plenty of things I did off-campus that I went to because it was something to do. Doesn't mean I was particularly emotionally invested in it.

I love you, buddy, but the argument that having a football team that does not play on campus doesn't impact students connection with the team really doesn't hold water. Honestly, the best argument for the Rent is that "it already exists" and thus is more meaningful than any fictional alternative. That would be tough to disagree with. You could also say that it's great tailgating, or that there isn't a bad seat in the house, both of those things are true as well. At some point in the future, though, the state will have to decide whether to invest significant amounts of money at Rentschler Field or invest in an on-campus stadium. Hopefully, at that point in time, they'll consider the fact that it likely makes sense to actually put it where the students are and invest in future generations of fans.
I love you back, but none of what you've typed explains why students would leave at halftime, with great weather, in a close game, if they actually gave .

A campus stadium won't fix that. The only thing that fixes that is winning. Is it ideal to have the stadium be 25 minutes away? Absolutely not. But until we can figure out how to get the other 12,000 - 18,000 diehards to Storrs on a Saturday, we're kinda screwed.

Believe me when I say that I get ZERO joy giving an entity $14 for a beer when I know that not a single penny goes to the university...

CL82

Reaction Score
I love you back, but none of what you've typed explains why students would leave at halftime, with great weather, in a close game, if they actually gave
No, it just explains why they don't actually give a -----. Because it's a random off-campus activity.

A campus stadium won't fix that. The only thing that fixes that is winning.
Actually, I think a campus stadium does fix that.

But until we can figure out how to get the other 12,000 - 18,000 diehards to Storrs on a Saturday, we're kinda screwed
If they're actually diehards do you think they won't make their way to campus six Saturdays a year?

That said, doesn't matter. The Rent is our stadium,

Reaction Score
I am continuing to see very unimpressive crowds across FBS.
I never paid attention to it until this year.
Somthing is happening with football - either CTE is changing peoples' interests, we're diluting the product with too many FCS-level teams trying to fill 30K seat stadiums to comply with FBS stadium/facility size requirements...

...or maybe both are true.
In either case, UConn attendance is not as horrible as it feels, when compared to G5 crowds.
Besides the SEC/B1G/Big12, no one is pulling great crowds. Even some ACC crowds have looked G5-ey, instead of P4-ey.

Even in the SOUTHEAST, where football is supposedly king, I've seen these verrryyy lackluster showings from fans.
Looks like it's basically SEC or bust for those fans. Sry, UAB/LATech.

we'll be alright.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom