Student Game Attendance – Root Cause Problem Solving | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Student Game Attendance – Root Cause Problem Solving

Reaction Score
Those 50 years old are the ones funding the school through donations to NIL. We need them along with the students
Reread my post. I said “make the environment better”. This isn’t an economic take.

Reaction Score
30,000 in the seats....Probably not, but "old guy" thinks Jimmy Valvano says it best at the ESPY awards. "NEVER GIVE UP"! Check out that speech on Youtube, and you will grab your ticket and head to the game...Go Huskies.....Fill the arena....Maybe that is wishful thinking from an 85 year old graduate, BUT I NEVER GIVE believing the fans will come...GO HUSKIES

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Also. Why did that trigger you? Essentially, I said concentrate on getting more paying customers into the building. That is a cyclical take, yes, but there Are a lot of stakeholders out here including alumni, who make up a large portion of the fan base.

we should do adopt a student. Bring a student to your tailgate party.

Well, the good news is your view will come around.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If it comes to atmosphere and attendance, there needs to be an in game experience that combines football, cell phones, choreographed fan involvement, and ultimately something UConn unique.

1. Winning fixes all ills.

2. I suggest developing a Rentschler Field app(after the wifi in the stadium is approved). The app would have information on pre game, post game activites. In game, it would allow the fan to have different camera angles of plays, out of town scores (so people stay on the app and not toggle out of it), Words to UConn fight song and when it will be played, Tell fans when and where to start chants or the wave, etc. It will keep people engaged through those 2:32 second TV timeouts as well as create atmosphere.

3. Virginia Tech has Enter the Sandman, Clemson has the rock and entrance. We have the ringing of the bell(cord broke at first game) and now the cheerleaders don't even do pushups anymore. I suggest putting up a poll for UConn fandom about what our new tradition is. Something the fans can get riled up about. Something that will get them in their seats more than 20 seconds before kickoff.

I have been at the Rent since that Indiana game (my son just asked me why I have a 44 jersey and showed him Terry Caulley's run). The new fan needs to be taught and have fun in today's reality. The technology is there, we just need to build it!!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If it comes to atmosphere and attendance, there needs to be an in game experience that combines football, cell phones, choreographed fan involvement, and ultimately something UConn unique.

2. I suggest developing a Rentschler Field app(after the wifi in the stadium is approved). The app would have information on pre game, post game activites. In game, it would allow the fan to have different camera angles of plays, out of town scores (so people stay on the app and not toggle out of it), Words to UConn fight song and when it will be played, Tell fans when and where to start chants or the wave, etc. It will keep people engaged through those 2:32 second TV timeouts as well as create atmosphere.

3. Virginia Tech has Enter the Sandman, Clemson has the rock and entrance. We have the ringing of the bell(cord broke at first game) and now the cheerleaders don't even do pushups anymore. I suggest putting up a poll for UConn fandom about what our new tradition is. Something the fans can get riled up about. Something that will get them in their seats more than 20 seconds before kickoff.

I have been at the Rent since that Indiana game (my son just asked me why I have a 44 jersey and showed him Terry Caulley's run). The new fan needs to be taught and have fun in today's reality. The technology is there, we just need to build it!!
Just like Terry, this program is still on its feet!

Reaction Score

There are QR codes on the seats at the Rent that give you live in-game stats. I just figured that out a few weeks ago. LOL

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
There are QR codes on the seats at the Rent that give you live in-game stats. I just figured that out a few weeks ago. LOL
Great communication from the Rent to let us know! I thought those were for an in game promo.

Reaction Score
Let's face it. The drinking age is 21. Most students in college are under the age of 21.
Also. Alcohol is cheaper in the parking lot than Rentschler's Field.
They get a buzz. Cheer on the Huskies in the first half. Buzz wears off.
The past decade, we were down by 21 after 2. But, now were up big after 2.

I dont know the answer. Just stating facts.

Reaction Score
Let's face it. The drinking age is 21. Most students in college are under the age of 21.

We need a booze scholarship only renewable at the stadium

Reaction Score

How is that different from other football venues with better student turnout/effort? Is it 100.0% the product on the field? I just don't buy that. I've been to South Carolina when their team isn't very good and it's a distinctly different environment.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Hartford doesn't fill up for games vs. lower-level opponents like Gampel does. Campus games help a lot for student attendance. Anyone who was a student in Storrs think back to your Friday nights... would a Saturday morning bus drive look appealing? One recommendation I would have would be for the athletic department to, in whatever way it could, form a strong bond with the Fraternities and Sororities and set up an area for them (to, within reason) drive the pregame atmosphere...
There's an idea. Set aside a few parking areas (Gray G and H? Is red lot even open anymore?) for sororities and fraternities specifically. Let them administer who comes and doesn't, and give them relative latitude to conduct pre-game events there within reason

Reaction Score
There's an idea. Set aside a few parking areas (Gray G and H? Is red lot even open anymore?) for sororities and fraternities specifically. Let them administer who comes and doesn't, and give them relative latitude to conduct pre-game events there within reason
Yeah, bring the campus to the Rent, there’s an idea the students would go for. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
How is that different from other football venues with better student turnout/effort? Is it 100.0% the product on the field? I just don't buy that. I've been to South Carolina when their team isn't very good and it's a distinctly different environment.
Culturally, I don't think state and local PDs would allow this type of party. Think Florida and Georgia, worlds largest cocktail party, state and local police would break that up here. There would be news story about underage drinking.

We just don't like that here. We prefer people drink in their rooms alone.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think you're being myopic. The students make the environment better. Not the paying 50 year olds.
50 year old drunk guys can make the experience miserable for the other team.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
50 year old drunk guys can make the experience miserable for the other team.
If you and others are willing to die on this hill, there's really little hope. The 50+ beer bellied blowhard is not the answer to a better football experience. The students are the lifeblood of the campus. They make it better when they are there and engaged and nothing else makes up for that. This thread is attempting at some discussion to make it livelier not somewhere we can talk about mortgage rates or getting the Whalers back.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
1 - there is no way we could ever compare favorably to a southern, state flagship school when discussing student participation before and during football games.

2 - even with the (according to some) insurmountable obstacle of having an off campus stadium, for the initial decade that the Rent was open the student section was always filled and their impact on the game was significant. Ask Tyler Palko, RG III or a few other QB's who couldn't get their plays off if you don't believe me.

If we start winning with a bit of consistency we won't have this subject matter to debate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom