Strategy Against Baylor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Strategy Against Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Minuses:
1. Baylor is clearly a step up from Stanford, a team that we beat by 10 in our own house. Woulda-coulda-shoulda, but the score was the score.
2. They have a dominant inside player in BG and an elite perimeter player in Sims. Stanford did not have elite personnel at the perimeter, only inside (Nneka).
3. The game is at their place, which is worth a lot. By that time our team will have only one road game under its belt. Our experienced players know what it takes to win on the road but this team as a unit does not have that experience, and we are still relatively young.

Pluses:
4. Stef has improved a ton since the last meeting at both ends of the court. My sense is BG has also improved, but mostly on the offensive end.
5. KML's mentality will allow her to outperform even in what is sure to be a very challenging environment. It might even be to her benefit. Bria is somewhat the same way.
6. Baylor has good role players that rebound well--Destiny Williams is for real, and Pope is pretty good, too--but if we mind our p's and q's we can hang with them on the boards. UTenn showed that Baylor is not yet a great rebounding team. (We already knew that this was not BG's strongest suit.)
7. Stef is much better at avoiding fouls now than she was last year.
8. We have two extra bodies and 10 fouls to throw at BG in Buck and Stokes. If these two players give us high-quality minutes our chances improve immensely, but this is far from a given. (And Stef in foul trouble is still not a recipe for victory, despite Buck's and Stokes's improvement.)

It will probably be a rough slog for both teams. UCONN's defense will show up. Will our offensive flow and shooting % be good enough to get the job done?

From what I've seen so far from both teams, I would pick Baylor by 7. Mulkey and BG will desperately defend their home court in what will be by far their best shot to defeat UCONN for the forseeable future: NCAAs = neutral court; next year we reload with a mind-boggling class; next year the reg season game is back at CT. That kind of urgency makes a difference when you're playing at home, and I think for many reasons they will be hungrier for this win than any other home game in recent memory, including games against TAMU and ND.

Reaction Score
Need more outside shooting; can't drive to the basket as well against BG.
Will we try to press them full court?
Will we try to sub more for Dolson; play physical against BG to get her in foul trouble?

I wish we could package the way that we played last night. But since we can only try to give it our best shot, this is what I believe would be a winning game plan.

Bria guards Sims. (I don't think that Sims will guard Bria. The risk of foul trouble for Sims will be too high.)
We really do need CD to hit a few more shots. (My reasoning is that Baylor will probably focus its game plan on stopping BH, TH, KML and Stef. If we can get numbers from Kelly and CD, then its game Over! Assuming, of course, that the big four do their things.)

Tiff should play like she has played the last two games.

Stef will, of course, start. But, if she is unable to be effective in guarding BG, then HB should be brought in rather quickly.

(If both Stef and HB are on the floor at the same time BG will be forced to guard Stef if she is making shots from the foul line. That will give HB/KS or Kelly more rebounding space underneath.)

We should press them until we become part of their uniforms.

Lastly, we should play 1-on-1 defense for the entire game. (I believe that a major reason TN lost its game against Baylor was because they ran out of gas early in the 2nd half.)

We absolutely should not allow them to rest on offense by playing a zone.

These are, of course, just my opinions.

Peace,

John Fryer

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yes, I agree with John, the press is the thing, and our speed. As I said in another thread, our speed was simply amazing last night, and the conditioning is out of sight to keep up that pace for 40 minutes. Of course now we have 6 starters and a good bench too, so that is making an enormous difference, as we all have been predicting. Baylor won't be able to run with us, and little gnats can swarm under their giraffe, as we saw last year. I'm not with those who say we win by double digits or 20 or something, not in Waco. But after last night, I think we have an even chance to win. I did not think this until last night.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Geno will find out what kind of shape Ms Griner is in.

"I think what happens when you're willing to play at that pace for 40 minutes, I think the other team just kind of gets to the point where they just go, 'I can't keep this up.' " Auriemma said. "You can see it in their face sometimes and in their body language. It's the one thing I'm most proud of. We keep that pace. There's no getting tired, or going I don't feel like it this possession. You try to make people keep up with us."

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Lots of interesting observations.

Bottom line for me is that I think the coaches can come up with a winning strategy and UConn has the players to implement it in almost any game (perhaps not against the Olympic team).

So, I don't worry about the best approaches to winning, though these commentaries are good reading. Geno's not perfect, but he's proved he's the very best in figuring out how to win, and am sure he'll figure out for the Baylor game too. I'm sure he'll find a way to do it with the players he has.

Bottom line, then, is whether the players adhere to his plan, which they generally will if they keep their poise, and how efficiently they play -- i.e., shooting reasonably well, avoiding TOs, not missing assignments.

High efficiency and poise also determine the level of enjoyment fans take from a game: If the kids lack them, it's a "bad" game even when they win by 50 points (such as Fairleigh Dickinson). If there is great poise and efficiency, a loss is far easier to take (hey, the other team simply was better -- it happens -- as opposed to the Huskies "giving it away.")

Against Baylor, I'll be satisfied if the Huskies are efficient and have poise, even if they lose. With poise and efficiency, I like their chance of winning, though being on the road will be a big handicap.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Good Post Paco. You mention UConn has the players to implement the coaches strategy and keeping their poise and efficiency. Those sentences nailed it. I think UConn teams do that better then anyone else.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm interested in the "let's run them" strategy. In which match-ups does it appear that UCONN has an advantage in being able to run? BG is a better mover than SD and commonly plays all 40 minutes, Sims is an energizer bunny, Hayden and Madden are speedsters, Condrey is very fast, Pope is an incredible athlete and Williams is certainly no plow-horse. This team can run all day and I don't see Ferris and Doty as being able to outrun Hayden and Madden. And as great a player is KML is, she hasn't looked all that speedy around the court.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm interested in the "let's run them" strategy. In which match-ups does it appear that UCONN has an advantage in being able to run? BG is a better mover than SD and commonly plays all 40 minutes, Sims is an energizer bunny, Hayden and Madden are speedsters, Condrey is very fast, Pope is an incredible athlete and Williams is certainly no plow-horse. This team can run all day and I don't see Ferris and Doty as being able to outrun Hayden and Madden. And as great a player is KML is, she hasn't looked all that speedy around the court.
Actually, Stef is much better running the court than is BG. Do not judge by body type. BG is a loper who doesn't like to run the court. Stef has been getting out and down the court of the break this year. Mostly that takes mental toughness something Stef has in buckets over BG.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
And let's not forget, you have to score to press. The UCONN shooting percentage is not going to be what they are accustomed to and unless you knock down your outside shots there will be no opportunity to press.

UCONN shot 33% in the game against Baylor last year. Does that improve this year? It will be hard to press if not.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Actually, Stef is much better running the court than is BG. Do not judge by body type. BG is a loper who doesn't like to run the court. Stef has been getting out and down the court of the break this year. Mostly that takes mental toughness something Stef has in buckets over BG.

The only game I have seen BG tired in was the game against Charles in the Final Four. Charles gave her a lesson. BG played almost every minute of the game against Tennessee and was as strong at the end as she was at the beginning. Griner has a bit of a loper stride as a size 17 men's shoes are a little harder to pick up and put down, but she does not tire. I don't know when you have seen her tire...you must be watching some games that I haven't seen.

I am impressed with Step's work this year, but let's face it, she has not been on the court against BG. She is going to have to work a lot harder on defense than she has all year. Something tells me she won't be zipping down the court after pushing on BG all game long. BG doesn't work as hard on defense because she doesn't have to. She just keeps her distance and lets the shooter come to her. This games is going to a whole new level when it comes to post play. We're talking about one of the best post players in the world at this point.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I looked at UCONN's stats against Stanford and TAMU. I don't mean to be dismissive, but Dolson had 9 points against Stanford and 10 against TAMU. Against ND BG had 31 points and had 26 against Tenn. I think that Dolson will play well as she is a tough, hard-working player, but to think that she is going to outplay BG on "buckets of toughness" is nothing but wishful thinking.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I looked at UCONN's stats against Stanford and TAMU. I don't mean to be dismissive, but Dolson had 9 points against Stanford and 10 against TAMU. Against ND BG had 31 points and had 26 against Tenn. I think that Dolson will play well as she is a tough, hard-working player, but to think that she is going to outplay BG on "buckets of toughness" is nothing but wishful thinking.
Teams have been focusing on defending Stefanie which leaves lanes open for Tiffany Hayes or drops teams into a zone which dares UConn's perimeter shooters score from beyond the arc. The Huskies generally have had to prove someone other than Stef can score before defenses were forced to key on other players. That's one reason the offense was so choppy early in the year.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Who said Dolson will score as much as Griner?
Who said Dolson will outplay Griner?
Who said that Griner will tire?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I never indicated that anyone said that Dolson will score more. I simply compared stats. However, this implication that Dolson is going to outwork Griner and get up and down court much faster on a consistent basis is a bit amusing to me.

There has been a lot of "we will use our speed to outrun Baylor" talk and the comment that Dolson will thus beat BG up and down the court. I borrow from Replicant's post, which was apparently overlooked: "But we'll still need to make her work hard to get her points because she does fatigue."

I am fully expecting a very tough game. I am very impressed with what I have seen from UCONN at this point. KML is a spectacular shooter, Dolson is playing solid ball, Hartley seems to have full control of the point position, Hayes is a great slasher to the basket and Doty and Ferris are making great contributions. I think that UCONN has all of the tools to win this game and a NC.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I never indicated that anyone said that Dolson will score more. I simply compared stats. However, this implication that Dolson is going to outwork Griner and get up and down court much faster on a consistent basis is a bit amusing to me.

There has been a lot of "we will use our speed to outrun Baylor" talk and the comment that Dolson will thus beat BG up and down the court. I borrow from Replicant's post, which was apparently overlooked: "But we'll still need to make her work hard to get her points because she does fatigue."

I am fully expecting a very tough game. I am very impressed with what I have seen from UCONN at this point. KML is a spectacular shooter, Dolson is playing solid ball, Hartley seems to have full control of the point position, Hayes is a great slasher to the basket and Doty and Ferris are making great contributions. I think that UCONN has all of the tools to win this game and a NC.
So, you are replying to one poster but using words from another?

I think Baylor gets lots of repect here.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think that one of the keys was the start of Tuesday's game and will be key again. Kelly virtually unguarded within the three-point line and Gary's D daring her to shoot. Good idea! She hasn't hit the side of a barn all season, just double up on the threats. A deuce and a trey later and the Aggies had a real problem on their hands from which they never recovered.
If the fifth scoring threat on this team goes off 2 for 2 then its a long night for any team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
So, you are replying to one poster but using words from another?

I think Baylor gets lots of repect here.

I made comment on that poster's assertion and also made comments on the overall thread. I assume that is allowed.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I made comment on that poster's assertion and also made comments on the overall thread. I assume that is allowed.

I am just curious what has been seen on the court that indicates that Baylor is somehow going to be run off the court with another team's speed, no matter who the team is. I would say that these teams are both blessed with good team speed and that it will probably be a wash when it comes to determining who wins the game. The real question is execution and I do think that UCONN has the advantage in that area.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I said that Griner will tire. The others were not mention. Griner has always played lazy and given in to rely on her unique attributes more than effort.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am just curious what has been seen on the court that indicates that Baylor is somehow going to be run off the court with another team's speed, no matter who the team is. I would say that these teams are both blessed with good team speed and that it will probably be a wash when it comes to determining who wins the game. The real question is execution and I do think that UCONN has the advantage in that area.
No team yet has been able to handle the speed and pressure of the UConn defense. It get Baylor trouble last year. This year's team is even deeper and faster. Last year we had a hard time being able to press or pressure full court this year we are able to do it regularly. I doubt that Odyssey Sims has had to play against guards capable of staying in front of her and forcing her out of her comfort zone. UConn has two or three,, maybe even four defenders capable of doing just that.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I said that Griner will tire. The others were not mention. Griner has always played lazy and given in to rely on her unique attributes more than effort.

Griner knows that he has to play 40 minutes a game. There is no way she can go 100% all game long and have anything to give at the end of the game. I assert that she is very strategic at conserving her energy and uses it wisely. If she were to sprint up and down the floor as hard as she could for the first 30 minutes of the game there would be nothing in the tank in the last 10 minutes. She dominates at the end of games because she still has energy to do so. Watch the tape against Tennessee. Tennessee had nothing left to throw at her and she went to the basket over and over.

This is also a player who gets beat up on defense like no other player in the history of the women's game. There is no way to know the toll that the amount of physical play that she encounters on the offensive end of the court takes on her throughout the game. I would say it is hard to get pushed around on offense and then have the energy to sprint on every play.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Griner knows that (s)he has to play 40 minutes a game. There is no way she can go 100% all game long and have anything to give at the end of the game.
100% all game long is exactly what she will have to do against UConn. It is the only choice because that is exactly what the UConn kids and staff expect of themselves. It isn't just playing 40 minutes it is leaving everything you have on the court every possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom