Strategy Against Baylor | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Strategy Against Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
100% all game long is exactly what she will have to do against UConn. It is the only choice because that is exactly what the UConn kids and staff expect of themselves. It isn't just playing 40 minutes it is leaving everything you have on the court every possession.

It should be fun to watch. It will be at Baylor and 1 vs 2. I have a feeling that everyone will get to see her best effort. But I don't think that any of the team can afford to start the way they did at Tennessee.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I expect so, too.

And please don't get me wrong. I am incredibly impressed with the work-ethic of UCONN. I love Geno!!! He expects so much out of his players and I respect that greatly. I will admit that I have wondered how much better BG would be today had she played for him. I wish she could have spent more time with him over the summer.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Actually, Stef is much better running the court than is BG. Do not judge by body type. BG is a loper who doesn't like to run the court. Stef has been getting out and down the court of the break this year. Mostly that takes mental toughness something Stef has in buckets over BG.
just because it looks like your'e trying harder to pound to the other side like stef does, she is slow, don't be delusional, she looks slow, thick and heavy. BG "lopes" because she is so long legged, she beats guards at the other end of the floor many times for some fast break points in our highlights reels. we will see how stomping around is slower than BGs loping gate... she is simply more athletic and stronger this year than a heavy girl.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
The only game I have seen BG tired in was the game against Charles in the Final Four. Charles gave her a lesson. BG played almost every minute of the game against Tennessee and was as strong at the end as she was at the beginning. Griner has a bit of a loper stride as a size 17 men's shoes are a little harder to pick up and put down, but she does not tire. I don't know when you have seen her tire...you must be watching some games that I haven't seen.

I am impressed with Step's work this year, but let's face it, she has not been on the court against BG. She is going to have to work a lot harder on defense than she has all year. Something tells me she won't be zipping down the court after pushing on BG all game long. BG doesn't work as hard on defense because she doesn't have to. She just keeps her distance and lets the shooter come to her. This games is going to a whole new level when it comes to post play. We're talking about one of the best post players in the world at this point.

BG does not tire in any games since playing against Tina in 2010 final four., Which games have you seen her tire?... lol

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I looked at UCONN's stats against Stanford and TAMU. I don't mean to be dismissive, but Dolson had 9 points against Stanford and 10 against TAMU. Against ND BG had 31 points and had 26 against Tenn. I think that Dolson will play well as she is a tough, hard-working player, but to think that she is going to outplay BG on "buckets of toughness" is nothing but wishful thinking.
seems to me that there is allot of wishful thinking, after playing a depleted TAMU team that lost at Purdue...Purdue... not Tennessee or Notre Dame....

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
we will see what Notre Dame does at Purdue this saturday, and have something to compare this TAMU team to, some what.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I never indicated that anyone said that Dolson will score more. I simply compared stats. However, this implication that Dolson is going to outwork Griner and get up and down court much faster on a consistent basis is a bit amusing to me.

There has been a lot of "we will use our speed to outrun Baylor" talk and the comment that Dolson will thus beat BG up and down the court. I borrow from Replicant's post, which was apparently overlooked: "But we'll still need to make her work hard to get her points because she does fatigue."

I am fully expecting a very tough game. I am very impressed with what I have seen from UCONN at this point. KML is a spectacular shooter, Dolson is playing solid ball, Hartley seems to have full control of the point position, Hayes is a great slasher to the basket and Doty and Ferris are making great contributions. I think that UCONN has all of the tools to win this game and a NC.

me too.. its funny to hear that Dolson is so fast and athletic, if, and i mean a big if, Dolson plays moor than 5 minutes in a row, and runs the court the whole game...which i doubt she will play all 40, or 25 minutes this game, i'd be really impressed. Most games on tv, the commentators mention how "if" she keeps working on her conditioning she would be better, and ala Courtney Paris, its just not going to happen anytime soon, unless she gets bariatric surgery.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I think that one of the keys was the start of Tuesday's game and will be key again. Kelly virtually unguarded within the three-point line and Gary's D daring her to shoot. Good idea! She hasn't hit the side of a barn all season, just double up on the threats. A deuce and a trey later and the Aggies had a real problem on their hands from which they never recovered.
If the fifth scoring threat on this team goes off 2 for 2 then its a long night for any team.

Farris did such a good job this game, i was surprised, good for her. Maybe she can score more overall this year, i like her. Tough as nails!!

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I made comment on that poster's assertion and also made comments on the overall thread. I assume that is allowed.
ok reading this thread, has made it seem like most posters undervalue BGs athleticism, our guard play, and our defensive ability, of which UCONN has yet to see this year vests any of their opponents.

We have already played some tough defensive games against Notre Dame and Tennessee, tough games, and in my eyes those teams will beat Stanford and TAMU this year.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Stanford just hasn't looked that good this year playing teams much closer than they have in the past, just not the same guard play they are accustomed to, Pederson was so versatile and a match up problem against most 3 and 4 wings or forwards, being 6'4" and a great shooter and ball handler, and defender, man she was good.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I am just curious what has been seen on the court that indicates that Baylor is somehow going to be run off the court with another team's speed, no matter who the team is. I would say that these teams are both blessed with good team speed and that it will probably be a wash when it comes to determining who wins the game. The real question is execution and I do think that UCONN has the advantage in that area.
execution is key, and that is very true at this point in my eyes as well.

Baylor is fast, plays hard defense, and has a great assis/tO ratio, but our offense can be rough at times, so executing a good offensive plan can be a struggle, but our defense is not lacking, neither is our team speed.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
neither is our conditioning, we simply out run ND and Tenn last i saw, both of which are very athletic and have great conditioning programs.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
No team yet has been able to handle the speed and pressure of the UConn defense. It get Baylor trouble last year. This year's team is even deeper and faster. Last year we had a hard time being able to press or pressure full court this year we are able to do it regularly. I doubt that Odyssey Sims has had to play against guards capable of staying in front of her and forcing her out of her comfort zone. UConn has two or three,, maybe even four defenders capable of doing just that.
this will be so interesting to see... i have my faith in Sims, she's pretty amazing.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
i just think BG is so athletic, its insane, she hops in the air in split seconds, and goes around heavier post players all year, and does play full 40 minutes... unlike heavier girls who can only play 5-6 minutes at a time with a break in-between. Seriously does any one in CONN notice how much break time Dolson gets? i am sure someone on the coaching staff in UCONN land is assigned to make sure she is rested enough for their needs, it'd be the smart thing to do.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, i am impressed with UCONN's defensive efforts and their guard play, but i am not at all worried about our team being unable to deal with it. Championships are won in the post for the most part in the women's game, so thats a big key to this game. I like UCONN they play as such a great unit and team, love it.

But i do love my lady bears ability to play this year as well, sic 'em lady bears.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
just because it looks like your'e trying harder to pound to the other side like stef does, she is slow, don't be delusional, she looks slow, thick and heavy. BG "lopes" because she is so long legged, she beats guards at the other end of the floor many times for some fast break points in our highlights reels. we will see how stomping around is slower than BGs loping gate... she is simply more athletic and stronger this year than a heavy girl.
BG is most often the last one down the court for Baylor. Your observations of Stef are completely wrong. Stef hustles hard and has lef the break several times. Stef is not the slow kid from last year, she has trimmed down and never lags for effort. She, also, has learned a great deal about playing the post at the college level and what is allowed and isn't in the college game. No one her size is tougher than her mentally. Against aTm that was seen twice when she took shots and then just went down the floor and scored.

BTW, Stef played 31 minutes against both Stanford and aTm. Don't confuse the minutes she has had in blowouts with the minutes she plays against tough competition. Yes, UConn manages minutes as necessary. Last year BG was begging to come out of at least one game. I'd rather have someone 100% on the floor and give them rests than someone checking out while still on the floor.

It will be a huge danger for Baylor to assume Stef is just another post player just as much as it is for UConn in reverse. Baylor, however, is much more likely to make that mistake, especially, since they think they know her from last year. Plus we have a lot more size to back her up (6'4", 6'3", 6'3") and fouls to give in the post this year, if necessary.

BG will literally have a body leaning on her 100% of the time if I have my way along with constant blind side doubles taking any breathing space. She will be passing out but our defensive speed makes thar more risky than against most team. From the constant running and the body pressure BG will be exhausted and she will need to be mentally tough in a way she has not shown to date.

"I think what happens when you're willing to play at that pace for 40 minutes, I think the other team just kind of gets to the point where they just go, 'I can't keep this up.' " Auriemma said. "You can see it in their face sometimes and in their body language. It's the one thing I'm most proud of. We keep that pace. There's no getting tired, or going I don't feel like it this possession. You try to make people keep up with us."

Offensively, I expect us to run a lot of the high four we saw against aTm with multiple cutters. If BG plays back and bites on the first cutter expect us to trap BG off the ball with Stef and the extra pass, after all, it is UConn. If not, expect pull up jumpers. UConn. If not, expect pull up jumpers. If BG is quick off the ground she will unable to respond on the pass.

In the end this year's UConn team is much better than when we played each other with two freshman starting against Baylor in their second college game. And this year's freshman, well, they have already played in two nationally televised big games.

Big challenge for UConn is the first road trip of any size and managing the routine.

Reaction Score
From an unbiased perspective I would say that Baylor has the better team (at this point) and I would expect them to win. However, if we shoot the ball well and can pressure Sims out of her game we will have an opportunity to win.

Playing at Baylor could be our biggest obstacle. How KML and Doty respond will be huge. Which team comes in confident from the tip and controls tempo will be very telling.

It is fun going into a game where you just don't know how things are going to play out. We will see just how good our defense is doing. And likewise, what we need to do to amp up our offensive flow and rhythm.

Looking forward to a great game.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I like BG trailing. I do not like it when she is set up on the block too early so that three defender can smother her before the guards start woriking the ball around a little bit. It kind of puts those assigned to guard her standing around a bit waiting to react. I think she is great when she is allowed to move toward the basket. Recently there have been a lot of passes to her while she is moving toward the basket instead of just planting herself and trying to pass around two or three defenders.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
BG will literally have a body leaning on her 100% of the time if I have my way along with constant blind side doubles taking any breathing space. She will be passing out but our defensive speed makes thar more risky than against most team. From the constant running and the body pressure BG will be exhausted and she will need to be mentally tough in a way she has not shown to date.

100% of the time? Are you going to lean on her while she's running down court? BG steps away from the basket a lot more this year. I think it is prudent to have her step away and then move back to the basket. A lot of fouls that she draws are defenders trying to prevent her from gaining position. I like to see her running to the basket and then stepping back out and going back again.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
100% of the time? Are you going to lean on her while she's running down court? BG steps away from the basket a lot more this year. I think it is prudent to have her step away and then move back to the basket. A lot of fouls that she draws are defenders trying to prevent her from gaining position. I like to see her running to the basket and then stepping back out and going back again.
I would have someone in her way the whole way down making her work for every step and if she posts up mid court to help break the press, yes, body up. Everytime she takes position in the key then body up. Do not let her move anywhere without effort. She is not quick, grind her down to a slog.

Reaction Score
I think our advantage is that we have three 5's to throw at BG to wear her down, absorb fouls both ways. I hope we can exploit that.
who does Baylor have to bring in for BG - ugh.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I would have someone in her way the whole way down making her work for every step and if she posts up mid court to help break the press, yes, body up. Everytime she takes position in the key then body up. Do not let her move anywhere without effort. She is not quick, grind her down to a slog.

I like that as it sounds like a recipe for a lot of foul trouble for UCONN.

Reaction Score
I'm interested in the "let's run them" strategy. In which match-ups does it appear that UCONN has an advantage in being able to run? BG is a better mover than SD and commonly plays all 40 minutes, Sims is an energizer bunny, Hayden and Madden are speedsters, Condrey is very fast, Pope is an incredible athlete and Williams is certainly no plow-horse. This team can run all day and I don't see Ferris and Doty as being able to outrun Hayden and Madden. And as great a player is KML is, she hasn't looked all that speedy around the court.

As long as KML is making three after three, rebounding, and playing great defense, I don't care that she's not speedy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom