Strangely optimistic | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Strangely optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A boneyarder comparing brimah to a taller version of Ed Nelson , I think we've reached a breaking point here folks.
I was going to go with Inyatkin, but I thought that was reaching. :)

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This becomes Adams team sooner than I thought would happen if Hamilton stayed another year.

UConn needs another guard badly, but not just anyone but someone who can shoot the rock. I think Vital becomes a must sign imho

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
It's not addition by subtraction, but the team may have an overall better composition without DH.

He was a nice starting piece (point forward) to build a team around, but I'm not sure we had the other pieces to integrate with him except Brimah.

I'm optimistic about having a more traditional college line up.

Starting 5

AG-1
JA-2
RP-3
KF-4
AB-5

Reaction Score
Hamilton was a good - good - college player but I can't honestly say I'm going to miss him all that much, even though our team may initially be worse off without him. I think the team, especially next year, would have been better off playing our traditional two pg system with him playing off the ball. I'm not sure whether it's Hamilton's or Ollie's choice, but having him run the offense worked against the dredges of the AAC but didn't fly as much against quality competition. It's almost as if KO catered the offense around DHam both because he was our best and sometimes only option, and because he was his first major recruit and showcase talent. I don't think there's any way Hamilton works out in the pros - terrible defense, not athletic enough, handles will be exposed, not prolific enough of a scorer - and this sets our team back next year as well, but it should help with establishing an offensive pecking order and it does solve our biggest defensive issue from this year

Reaction Score
I'm not all that concerned about DHam leaving. I think he was a bit overrated. That's not to say he's not a good player, he is, but he didn't develop into the kind of guy who could truly take over a game. Which was what made this announcement seem kind of crazy.

Who knows, maybe this will pay off for him and I wish him the best of luck. But the team will be fine.

Reaction Score
If it's not beyond the realm, it's stood up on it's thin end, at the very further outreach of the realm, teetering toward falling out of the realm, with a stiff wind blowing outward.

Three year stats, frosh to Junior:
BOARDS 3, 4.4, 4.6
BLOCKS 2.3, 3.5, 2.7
POINTS 4.1, 9.1, 6.5
ASSISTS .3, .2, .1
FG% - about the same all 3 years.

What about any of those stats suggests that Brimah has made any improvement in any area of his game, other than free throws (at which he is remarkable good now).?? Not one thing.

For all intents and purposes he is a taller version of Ed Nelson.

To be clear, I love the kid and the fact that he is with us, but to expect even a few more ppg or boards or anything next year is wishful thinking, at best.

It's totally not about stats with AB. His shoots a high enough percentage from the floor and line, and I"m not looking for him to score more than 10 a game at the max. He totally changes a game being on the floor on Defense when he stays on the floor. Three things would make him a force: (i) avoiding fouls and staying on the floor; (ii) a little higher IQ on offense in terms of understanding when and where the pass is coming to him; and (iii) stronger hands. The second may very well kick in. The third is easily fixed. Get in a gym and climb ropes every day. The first is the real key.

The lack of defensive rebounding to me is not the problem many of you make it. Nova won the Championship being killed on their D boards becuse tey effectivly challenged every opponent shot in the paint. If you challenge inside shots, you don't rebound as well. But you can make that trade if you are good enough at challenging shots.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
It's a loss no doubt, but TL is the real deal and will help with the loss. KO will lock down what we need, this team will be fun to watch next year either way with all the new parts.

Reaction Score
Khalid's spent roughly 10 out of 13 years in Europe. France and Germany seem like pretty nice places to play ball compared to others.
Get some facts and come back and see me.....he played in Turkey, the Ukraine and Lithuania. Not exactly vacation spots. And certainly not where any aspiring basketball player wants to be. Khalid didn't have much choice, Hamilton potentially did.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's not addition by subtraction, but the team may have an overall better composition without DH.

He was a nice starting piece (point forward) to build a team around, but I'm not sure we had the other pieces to integrate with him except Brimah.

I'm optimistic about having a more traditional college line up.

Starting 5

AG-1
JA-2
RP-3
KF-4
AB-5
What? No hamilton would've fit great next year with adams at the point. And Gilbert won't be starting. If he does it'll be middle of the year. Larrier at the 3 with purvis at the two and adams at the one

Reaction Score
5 months ago, I was pretty convinced that DHam would be leaving after this year.

So... I think I expected this 5 months ago. This season didn't go as planned tho.

I did think UConn would have more success recruiting a smaller wing (Larrier and Vance seem to be of the Deandre Daniels variety). I suppose many eggs were in the VJ King basket. Also, looking back, it really is a shame nothing could be done to keep Mustapha Heron in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Not fazed by the Hamilton news - still think next year's team is going to be very good.

With Larrier and Vance coming, if there was one position where wecould afford a defection, it was the wing.

I think it may free the ball up more and allow the guards to dictate more of the game and the pace. I expected Jalen to be the star of next year's team and this may actually help him.

Not worried about this at all- I think it's a mistake for Hamilton, but less of an issue for the team. (Timing is so odd...he either got great feedback, bad advice or is just winging it.)

Still worried about rebounding, though. I'd like us to do more of it next year.

Then again, you could be in shock.

Reaction Score
This is crazy talk.

We are a terrible rebounding team with Hamilton.

Who's going to handle the ball? Jalen and Freshman Gilbert for 40 minutes each?

We struggle to score and rebound and lost our best player in both those categories.

Sure Hamilton had his flaws and I'm not saying we'll suck... But this is lunacy.
I can only assume you think the team would be better with Hamilton's shaky handle monopolizing the ball ? The kid, for all his talents, is not the point guard he thinks he is. His rebounding will be missed FAR more than his ball handling.

Reaction Score
Get some facts and come back and see me.....he played in Turkey, the Ukraine and Lithuania. Not exactly vacation spots. And certainly not where any aspiring basketball player wants to be. Khalid didn't have much choice, Hamilton potentially did.

Not really the point, but Turkey is actually pretty awesome. Istanbul is one of the coolest cities around.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I love Hamilton and would absolutely like to have him back, but I found myself coming to the same conclusion as Fishy. I feel like DHam's decision making cost us this past year, and while I'm sure that the 2016-2017 version would have improved, I feel like we have a shot to be a more cohesive team next year. It may cost us some wins next season but we'll be pretty good 2 years from now.

There's a lot of questions for next year. I wonder how Amida will do in a more uptempo game. I wonder where our rebounds are going to come from and how big a jump Enoch will make. But I like the idea of have two point guards on the court and getting back to slashing to the hoop.

Anyway, thanks DHam, wish you the best!

Reaction Score
Agree with this.

Are we worried that hamiltons tenuous draft stock hurts the brand at all? I guess it didn't matter much with deandre, but thats one thing I always consider if someone decides to leave earlier than anticipated.
Yeah, interesting comparison, too. Daniels was a far more polished AND far more accomplished player, with those accomplishments coming on teh biggest stage. And yet, he has not sniffed the NBA. Hamilton's stock in the NBA is a substantial bit below Daniels

Reaction Score
Yeah, interesting comparison, too. Daniels was a far more polished AND far more accomplished player, with those accomplishments coming on teh biggest stage. And yet, he has not sniffed the NBA. Hamilton's stock in the NBA is a substantial bit below Daniels

Daniels averaged 0.5 assists per game in his UConn career. The year we won the title, he had 17 assists the entire season. Hamilton had 170 this year. Hamilton also averaged 9 rebounds to DD's 6.

Daniels had a much, much more limited skill set than Hamilton - but he did become a better spot up three-point shooter, which was his best hope for sticking (as a 3 and D guy).

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I'm optimistic that this board will be a hellhole of suck next year when we inevitably struggle after losing 3 of our top 4 performers from the year prior, including what would have been an AAC POY candidate.

Reaction Score
Larrier, a replacement? A 6pt, 3 board, <1 assist guy who averaged 26% from 3 and played only 18 minutes a game at a mid-major is going to fill in what part of DHam's game?

Lord, I already am praying for young Larrier, because this board is going to crucify him when he turns out to be a homeless man's version of DHam.
The second part of this is partially right: no matter what Larrier does, people on this board will crucify him.

As for the first part: not only are most freshman stats not all that indicative of shooting (Daniels shot 24% from 3 and on our current team, I think Adams is better than a 27% 3 pt shooter), but Larrier also played in havoc, which encouraged quick (read: bad) shots. The pace probably could have netted him more points and boards, but he was a consensus Top 40 player out of high school (24/7 had Larrier 23--DHam 18--and the average was 33).

Given that, I'm willing to toss most of the Havoc stuff while also recognizing he won't be a pure replacement for DHam. He'll offer different things and hopefully the combination of him, other new players, and player improvement, will mitigate the loss of Hamilton.

But we need Rodney back big time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm optimistic that this board will be a hellhole of suck next year when we inevitably struggle after losing 3 of our top 4 performers from the year prior, including what would have been an AAC POY candidate.
Dude, you changed your avatar? Now I will be disoriented when you post.

Reaction Score
The list of UConn players in our history who could get nine rebounds a night is small.
The list of UConn players in our history who could get five assists a night is small
The list of UConn players in our history who could get both is one.
Seriously: Player Season Finder Query Results | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

What the link shows is that Daniel Hamilton was the only sophomore since at least 1994-95 that put up a 450 point, 320 rebound and 170 assist season.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Daniels averaged 0.5 assists per game in his UConn career. The year we won the title, he had 17 assists the entire season. Hamilton had 170 this year. Hamilton also averaged 9 rebounds to DD's 6.

Daniels had a much, much more limited skill set than Hamilton - but he did become a better spot up three-point shooter, which was his best hope for sticking (as a 3 and D guy).
Daniels is on another planet than DHam when it comes to offense. Shot selection, 3pt shooting, athleticism, posting. Hamilton has a better handle, and creator. But give me Daniels over DHam every day.

Reaction Score
Daniels is on another planet than DHam when it comes to offense. Shot selection, 3pt shooting, athleticism, posting. Hamilton has a better handle, and creator. But give me Daniels over DHam every day.
Not sure I would say that as Daniels was wildly inconsistent. They are too different types of players. Both were good offensive players but neither are great guys that you can lean on to lead the team as the main scoring threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom