Strangely optimistic | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Strangely optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Losing Purvis would be a bigger blow. I won't miss Ham's inconsistency. His numbers can be replaced. Adams needs an experience shooter and scorer to help carry the load and I see no reason to trust any freshmen coming in to do a better job than a 5th year senior.
His numbers can be replaced?

This statement is as accurate as when you said UConn was the only bubble team with a record below .500 v the top 100 when there was actually 18 of them.

Reaction Score
That's A) from another thread, and B) not germane, since the discussion is about how Hamilton's departure will affect UConn next year. That's literally the point of this thread.

You have trouble keeping your thoughts straight, so I'll boil it down even further:

Even if Hamilton was only going to be a 38% shooter again next year, we'd still miss him a ton. Even if he never plays a single NBA minute - which I think is possible - we'd still miss him a ton.

And this...

Remains an depressingly dumb take.
You've made up things about what I've said and are now saying that your own words don't matter because they are from another thread, even though these are your thoughts that you posted today. I've stated several times that he's a very good college player with very really flaws and think we are better off with him but his loss will not be as big for us as many think. You have gone after me several times now for pointing out the fact that Hamilton has not been an efficient scorer. Now you're calling me out for pointing out that you think Hamilton has chance to be an excellent NBA player. You seem too personally invested in DHam to the point that you're acting a bit irrational. It's boring to me so we should probably end this.

Reaction Score
So you're saying we only played well with DHam sitting once? We did all right when Donyell left, we'll be all right now.

DHam had 19 on 8-14 shooting and 11 rebounds in 34 minutes against Temple, so I'm not really sure there's much of a sample size to go on there if we happened to play well for a couple minutes while he rested. The AAC tournament was probably the best basketball we played all year and he was the MVP.

You can certainly make a case during the stretch when he was clunking his way to 2-12 nights that we would have been better with him sitting, but pulling him still would have meant sitting our best rebounder and passer. Miller and Gibbs didn't fill those voids as well as hoped.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Rebounding is the biggest issue here. His offense was anemic for most of the season, took bad shots, made awful decisions, etc. But the kid cleaned up on the glass like no other. I think if we can get upgraded rebounding production from PF/C, then he is replaceable easier than most think.

Playing a lineup of Adams (6'2"), Purvis (6'4"), Larrier (6'9"), Facey (6'10"), and Brimah (7',0") gives us enormous height and length - @mauconnfan check my numbers ;). If Larrier, Facey, and Brimah can't make up 8 rebounds a game, we've got a bigger problem.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There were several games when the team started clicking when DHam was sitting. The Temple game in the AAC tourney is one.
Oh yeah the game he scored 32 pts
UConn has played as well if not better in spells when Baz and other have sat

Reaction Score
Rebounding is the biggest issue here. His offense was anemic for most of the season, took bad shots, made awful decisions, etc. But the kid cleaned up on the glass like no other. I think if we can get upgraded rebounding production from PF/C, then he is replaceable easier than most think.

Playing a lineup of Adams (6'2"), Purvis (6'4"), Larrier (6'9"), Facey (6'10"), and Brimah (7',0") gives us enormous height and length - @mauconnfan check my numbers ;). If Larrier, Facey, and Brimah can't make up 8 rebounds a game, we've got a bigger problem.

They also have to make up for 6 rebounds from Miller.

Reaction Score
This team is going to need a lot more ballhandling next year. Having DHam as the extra ballhandler was helpful. You can't do it with 3 guys who are going to be constantly subbing for one another.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I think the team has enough talent that if they gel together, play UConn defense, and learn to rebound better they'll be fine.

Guards - Gilbert, Adams, Purvis (assuming he stays)
Wings - Larrier, Jackson, Facey (yes, he's actually a 3/4, not a 4/5)
Bigs - Brimah, Durham, Enoch

I'm good with that, and that's assuming they don't get A. Diallo, who I'd love to add to the mix as a 2-3-4 swiss army knife.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Not all that optimistic about next year so much if RP is gone too, but hoping this sets up well for two years from now -- as our young guys are forced to find their way this year and then we can really thrive with a battle-tested JR Larrier, JR Adams, SO Gilbert.
Totally agree. But it would also be nice if next year's team caught lightning in a bottle, if even for a while, it could be a lot of fun.

Reaction Score
I'm strangely optimistic as well but we need to find some quality bodies for those three scholarships. We already needed a ball handler and a rebounder. Now we need them even more. Adams has some attitude and swagger. If it doesn't get him into trouble he could be our big dog next year. Depends on what Purvis does of course. I'd love to see Enoch develop.

Reaction Score
Not fazed by the Hamilton news - still think next year's team is going to be very good.

With Larrier and Vance coming, if there was one position where wecould afford a defection, it was the wing.

I think it may free the ball up more and allow the guards to dictate more of the game and the pace. I expected Jalen to be the star of next year's team and this may actually help him.

Not worried about this at all- I think it's a mistake for Hamilton, but less of an issue for the team. (Timing is so odd...he either got great feedback, bad advice or is just winging it.)

Still worried about rebounding, though. I'd like us to do more of it next year.

Agree with this.

Are we worried that hamiltons tenuous draft stock hurts the brand at all? I guess it didn't matter much with deandre, but thats one thing I always consider if someone decides to leave earlier than anticipated.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Anyone else wish it had been AB instead of DHam? I know we need bodies to field a team but neither has been very impressive. AB is probably wondering where his 8 points a game will come from without the DHam lobs.

Reaction Score
Anyone else wish it had been AB instead of DHam? I know we need bodies to field a team but neither has been very impressive. AB is probably wondering where his 8 points a game will come from without the DHam lobs.
Uh nah. Ollie hangs his hat on defense, and brimah closed the year stronger on that end than Hamilton. Brimah is crucial to field a competitive next season , there are literally no other options. If Enoch is the starting center we could be headed to a .500 season

Reaction Score
Uh nah. Ollie hangs his hat on defense, and brimah closed the year stronger on that end than Hamilton. Brimah is crucial to field a competitive next season , there are literally no other options. If Enoch is the starting center we could be headed to a .500 season

I am still of the belief that AB can take us a long way next year by taking his game to a level that we've glimpsed but haven't seen consistently. I may prove wrong but I don't think that is beyond the realm

Reaction Score
Not fazed by the Hamilton news
You're still in shock - that will pass and the faze will set in.

Not sure how anybody who watched this season could not think that this isn't a massive blow to our chances next year. Larrier, a replacement? A 6pt, 3 board, <1 assist guy who averaged 26% from 3 and played only 18 minutes a game at a mid-major is going to fill in what part of DHam's game?

Lord, I already am praying for young Larrier, because this board is going to crucify him when he turns out to be a homeless man's version of DHam.

Sure, Adams is awesome, but with only a freshman alongside, and no other ball handler on the team, there is massive trouble brewing.

DHam - thanks for the time. It's your decision to make. If the goal was to make the NBA, then probably a mistake. If it was more just to be done with College, then who knows? Best wishes - I always loved your game.

Of course I'll be rooting my guts out for us to put something together to make next year's team competitive, but I think DHam was the difference between 2nd weekend and fighting to make the tourni.

I know I'm a spoiled UConn fanatic, but I loathe the thought of a third straight crappy season.

Reaction Score
I am still of the belief that AB can take us a long way next year by taking his game to a level that we've glimpsed but haven't seen consistently. I may prove wrong but I don't think that is beyond the realm
Yep, I often wonder how things would have panned out vs Kansas if brimah didn't go all space cadet and pick up those two stupid early fouls. It was a competitive game in the second half with him on the floor

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Lots of speculation on how good Gilbert and the rest of the class will be. They are freshman and will have ups and downs like Adams and every other freshman we have had. Purvis is not the end all be all and needs to work on his handle, finishing and overall basketball iq. Brimah is a big- bigs take longer to develop so I expect him to come back physically stronger and that alone will help him in rebounding and foul trouble. Enoch has good feet- he too needs time to develop. End result, we have no idea what this team will look like in March of next year right now. I expect at least 1 grad transfer in, so let's leave the prognostication for when the team is established.

Reaction Score
If it's not beyond the realm, it's stood up on it's thin end, at the very further outreach of the realm, teetering toward falling out of the realm, with a stiff wind blowing outward.

Three year stats, frosh to Junior:
BOARDS 3, 4.4, 4.6
BLOCKS 2.3, 3.5, 2.7
POINTS 4.1, 9.1, 6.5
ASSISTS .3, .2, .1
FG% - about the same all 3 years.

What about any of those stats suggests that Brimah has made any improvement in any area of his game, other than free throws (at which he is remarkable good now).?? Not one thing.

For all intents and purposes he is a taller version of Ed Nelson.

To be clear, I love the kid and the fact that he is with us, but to expect even a few more ppg or boards or anything next year is wishful thinking, at best.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Lord, I already am praying for young Larrier, because this board is going to crucify him when he turns out to be a homeless man's version of DHam.

Are you as certain about him as you were about Purvis?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
A boneyarder comparing brimah to a taller version of Ed Nelson , I think we've reached a breaking point here folks.
I really wish all of our bigs will hit first like Ed Nelson, he definitely sought out contact. Skinny guys need to be willing to take the pain and hit first and hit hard.

Reaction Score
Are you as certain about him as you were about Purvis?
About Larrier? I have no idea about him. But the stats are very telling, and hoping he can fill DHam's shoes, even in part, is ridiculously unfair. Of course, I hope I am wrong. Would love for him to come in and be a world beater.

Purvis single handedly kept us in the Kansas game, and appeared to be our only player not rattled by the moment. Big props to him for that, and no, I didn't see that coming at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom