Storm the court? | The Boneyard

Storm the court?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In a little high school twitter battle with a few fans about last night. They were mad that security wouldn't let kids storm the court after the game.

My thoughts, I'm glad they didn't rush. Act like you've been there before, because we have.
We were the higher ranked team...we have won 3 national championships in 15 years. It wasn't against a biter rival. No need to rush.

Thoughts? Should they have rushed?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You don't rush the court after beating the #15 team in the country when you're ranked higher. You just don't. Thank God we didn't sink to that level.

Reaction Score
As a student I'm all for it, but as a fan I think its unnecessary for a program of our caliber.

Exceptions can be made though. Definitely no right or wrong answer.

Reaction Score
I think they should have been able to storm the court. I don't care about our history in moments like this or that we were the higher ranked teams. We won on a buzzer beater in a game where Gampel was rocking for the previous 10 minutes. Something like this doesn't happen often and in many students cases it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Let the students storm the court and enjoy the moment.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Have 3 NC. The most recent in '11. Plus we're not ND

Reaction Score
Storming the court is a mid-major thing to do. We're not a mid major. Hell I was against storming the court a few years back when we were unranked and we beat #1 Texas, we're just too good a program to pull that crap.

Had the students stormed the court yesterday against a team ranked three spots lower than us WITH injuries, I would've been pretty pissed. It would've made us look bad.

Aside from the tackiness of it, storming the court is pretty dangerous for everyone involved.

Reaction Score
Agree with @CTBasketball. No way you rush the court if you are the higher ranked team. Take a look at this list and see all the things they have in common: http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameo...ushes-this-college-basketball-season/1894435/

10. Virginia beats #3 Duke - Conference game, unranked vs. #3 in the nation

9. Maryland beats #2 Duke - Conference game, unranked vs. #2 in the nation

8. Wake Forest beats #2 Miami - Conference game, unranked vs. #2 in nation (and unbeaten in conference)

7. Minnesota beats #1 Indiana - Conference game, unranked vs. #1 in nation

6. Illinois beats #1 Indiana - Conference game, unranked vs. #1 in nation (buzzer beater)

5. Villanova beats #5 Louisville & #3 Syracuse back-to-back - Conference game, unranked team beating two top 5 teams in less than a week.

4. #25 Notre Dame beats #11 Lousiville - Conference game, 5 Overtimes

3. TCU beats #5 Kansas - Conference game, TCU in midst of 8-game losing streak, unranked vs. #5 in nation.

2. #25 Miami beats #1 Duke - Conference game, Resurgent season for Miami, Crushed Duke by 27.

1. #20 NC State beats #1 Duke - Conference game, it's NC State.​

No reason for fans to rush the court last night. Now, if we had beaten #1, with a buzzer beater from Shabazz, that may be a little different. But, again, #12 beating #15 at home does not warrant a court rushing.

Reaction Score
Agree with all the no's. Yeah, it's been 8 years since I was a student. And yes, I'm still biter I never got to rush at a game during my time at the school. But we are a high major program with a history of winning. I'm glad the student understand how to act.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
We are UConn - we do not storm the court after beating a lower ranked team. Not ever ever ever. NEVER. Come on.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Glad it wasn't done, but to me, Florida has been, is, and always will be a bitter rival ever since our tournament loss in 1994.

Reaction Score
We don't ever rush the court. Never again. Ever. We are UConn and we are elite. We are the basketball capital of the world.

It's very difficult, as a student, to get the majority of the other students to understand this, however. I don't think people were trying to storm rather than all try and hug bazz at the same time.. Brilliant. I turned around amongst all the shoving and yelled out that we're NOT storming. Tough to get students who aren't so 'in tune' with our history to get in the same mind set.

Would have been beyond embarrassed if we stormed the court.

Reaction Score
I remember students tried to rush the court after the Syracuse game last year, but the front line of the student section held everyone back.

Reaction Score
I don't think the students tried to storm the court, I think they were just trying to celebrate with the team.

Reaction Score
Save the storming of the court for Louisville!

On a side note, I remember JC going to the student section before the game and telling everyone to storm in a game about 20 years ago if we won. I think it was Georgetown. We did win. Everyone stormed the court

Reaction Score
Shouldn't even storm the court if you beat Michigan State or Kentucky.......it's already been done, old hat! Storm the court for no one!;)

Reaction Score
I think they should have been able to storm the court. I don't care about our history in moments like this or that we were the higher ranked teams. We won on a buzzer beater in a game where Gampel was rocking for the previous 10 minutes. Something like this doesn't happen often and in many students cases it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Let the students storm the court and enjoy the moment.

Gotta agree. Rushing the court is not about Championships, underdog, blah blah. Its about letting all the emotions flow after such a great buzzer beater finish. As I watched on TV even I felt like running into the middle of the court if I was there. Fans care so much about what the rest of the nation is going to say "Act like you been there"... forget that.... Just enjoy the game to the max!!!!

Reaction Score
Never been a fan of court stormings, especially since it's gotten so played out over the years. I will say that it's pretty cool to watch when it's spontaneous after a buzzer-beater, i.e. Indiana after Watford's 3, but even so, I'm glad we didn't on Monday. I like the expect-to-win mentality of our fanbase.

Reaction Score
UConn security has their heads up their butts. They once pepper sprayed students for rushing the football field.

They should let the students be students and run on the court to celebrate with their classmates. It's fun. Let the students have their fun.

Reaction Score
The fact that this is even a thread after all our success embarrasses me.

Anyone who thinks it's "fun" is just interested in a mob mentality mosh pit party and is completely overlooking WHY teams storm courts. Go jump around and slam into each other in the Jungle all night long if you want.

Reaction Score
The fact that this is even a thread after all our success embarrasses me.

Anyone who thinks it's "fun" is just interested in a mob mentality mosh pit party and is completely overlooking WHY teams storm courts. Go jump around and slam into each other in the Jungle all night long if you want.

There is numerous reasons why a team and its fan base can choose to rush the court and that moment when pretty much all hope was lost (because he missed the first shot with little time left) and by some sort of "miracle" he got that ball back in time can definitely qualify as one of them... and actually the team DID indeed rushed towards Napier right after the shot and I'm sure that if the students were allowed to rush towards him they would have done it also. Some people take this sports etiquette to an entire different level. Its college basketball after all...

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I saw students storming OFF the court; they were wearing basketball uniforms. I don't remember that happening before.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn security has their heads up their butts. They once pepper sprayed students for rushing the football field.

They should let the students be students and run on the court to celebrate with their classmates. It's fun. Let the students have their fun.

At Memorial Stadium? There was never enough people in the stands to notice if the field was stormed when I was there. UConn does not control security at Rentschler, Global Spectrum does. UConn's primary responsibility (by a wide margin) at Rentschler is to make sure the check doesn't bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom