Stil only 1 OOC game scheduled in 2014 & 2015 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Stil only 1 OOC game scheduled in 2014 & 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So, we want to be in a BCS conference, we want to be thought of as a BCS school, we just don't want to play a SEC or B12-like schedule? Or, saiod differntly, we don't think we can play w/a Bevo or a USC? Got it.

Do any of those schools play non-conference schedules that are that difficult? Those weren't random BCS schools, they were among the best programs. At present, we would lose to all of those teams. I'd like a schedule with one very strong opponent, like we have coming up with Michigan, and two more mid-level BCS schools, plus a MAC team.

Reaction Score
Play anyone anywhere for a few years...or at least until the conference situation is finalized for the Huskies. Collect the a nice visitors check to at least partially offset lost conference related tv revenue. Hopefully an attractive schedule brings in great recruits, results in some success and makes the Huskies more attractive to conferences.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Do any of those schools play non-conference schedules that are that difficult? Those weren't random BCS schools, they were among the best programs. At present, we would lose to all of those teams. I'd like a schedule with one very strong opponent, like we have coming up with Michigan, and two more mid-level BCS schools, plus a MAC team.

That's now our conference schedule. (Cincy and 7 MAC/CUSA/FCS teams)
In the past we used OOC to bank wins to assure bowl eligibility (only P and GDL have screwed that up) and the conference schedule was a .500 proposition plus or minus. Now we need to bank wins in conference and use the OOC to beef up the schedule rating and bag a few marquee wins. No one will care who we beat in conference.

Reaction Score
Since you went and ruined a perfectly good thread with 'facts' - any word on what Warde is doing / planning to do about our conference mess? And maybe why the hell it only took Tulane a quick text to get in?

Appreciate the info provided so far.
I did not say a word about our conference situation. I figured why ask when he probably didn't know and wouldn't tell me if he did. When all this conference stuff started out, I was going crazy every 5 minutes on the internet looking and hoping for things to go our way. I stopped freaking out a couple weeks ago, and now I just figure that some time in the near future, we will be where we want to be. I'm not even sure I know where I want us to be. So for now, let's just win a bunch of games and start to enjoy football again, like we did when we we first opened the Rent. I, personally, am going to enjoy this season. We have a great schedule, a couple of really good recruiting classes, a couple new coaches, one in particular that we are all happy about, a couple fun road trips, and a bowl game to look forward to. Starts at the signing day event next week. I'll be there!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I dunno. The new league seems like it's all OOC to me.

Reaction Score
I had a chance to talk with Warde Manuel last night at the game and he told me that the 2014 OOC schedule is all set except for 1 game, and the 2015 schedule needs 2 more games. He said he will not put out the OOC games until all the games are set and the contracts are in his possession. He would not name the opponents. I spent a good 5 or 10 minutes talking to him about the football team, and made sure to thank him for getting us a new OC. I like the guy. One thing that really sticks out to me was, after I said thanks for the new OC, he said that if things aren't working, that that is unacceptable and they are going to fix them.

He didn't eat you!? Consider yourself a lucky man.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
He didn't eat you!? Consider yourself a lucky man.

u want to know how gopher got him to talk? he brought him a large french vanilla coffer milk no sugar, words just flowed from there.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If Warde really does have all these teams lined up don't you think we'd have heard something from the other team or their media outlet? I understand his reasoning and maybe the contracts haven't been signed. However, I can't imagine that because UConn is keeping a lid on the game, the other school would do the same. Maybe it's just me....I'm not trying to knock on the guy who had this convo with Warde but it's something that crossed my mind.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If Warde really does have all these teams lined up don't you think we'd have heard something from the other team or their media outlet? I understand his reasoning and maybe the contracts haven't been signed. However, I can't imagine that because UConn is keeping a lid on the game, the other school would do the same. Maybe it's just me....I'm not trying to knock on the guy who had this convo with Warde but it's something that crossed my mind.

While that is somewhat logical, do you really also think that it is logical that we have nobody on the schedule? Nothing? And Warde is just eyeing the buffett table at the Chinese food place and ignoring the situation? I've said before, these assumptions of incompetence on the part of WM or Susan are idiotic. He's a professional. He knows his job and he's doing it. The fact that he isn't tweeting "signed a deal for a home and home with Clemson today!" just means that you don't know that he's doing his job. The schedule will be announced. I virtually guarantee that it won't be nearly as bad as many of you fear (nor will it be UT, OSU, Florida and Oregon). The OC situation with coach Weist convinced me that WM knows that football needs his attention, and he's giving it. By the way, I am guessing a home and home with Clemson, including hoops, is on the list.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
....By the way, I am guessing a home and home with Clemson, including hoops, is on the list.

Excaliber and I would be very very happy if that came to pass.

Reaction Score
Clemson already has 4 teams scheduled in 2014:

at Georgia
home against georgia, central michigan, costal carolina

Excaliber and I would be very very happy if that came to pass.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Clemson already has 4 teams scheduled in 2014:

at Georgia
home against georgia, central michigan, costal carolina
They are playing UGA twice? When I checked yesterday they showed 3 games.

Reaction Score
Not sure if anyone noticed but Dez tweeted that Warde is putting together a nice schedule for 2014..he then went on to tweet that we will be playing Stony Brook. I'm sorry but in my book Stony Brook and nice do not match up. I hope the other opponents will be more big time than this.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Sometimes it's best not to say anything at all.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Don't laugh. Stony Brook played much better against 'Cuse at the dome last year than we did. Much.

Reaction Score
Stony Brook in 14. Now, doesn't that get your juices flowing.

By name? No, but Stony Brook football finished 10-3 last year making itto the 2nd round of the FCS Tourney. If we play an FCS school every year at least play tne better ones and SB has been making good strides there. It's a hell of a lot better than the Texas Southern powerhouse we played two years ago. SB finished FCS 11th ranked D and 29th ranked O for what its worth.

pj

Reaction Score
Stony Brook is as good as UMass. And they help us penetrate the all-important NY market.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i can't believe ppl are rushing to defend stony brook in this thread. they are a mother c king fcs team. chesus christ. we needed a layup fcs team right now and we got one. its better than playing townson or some black college form the mexcio border. doesnt matter if they won a fcs ship or finished last in fcs. doesn't matter. they are a close school, its a good move becuase they may bring 1k fans with them. thats a win for our pocket books. is it good news? no, its ok just news. the other 3 or 4 ooc games are important. if u read wardes lines here u can figure out what 1 of them is, but no one here has.

Reaction Score
Dan no ones defending them, fact; we play1 FCS team every year, I would prefer to play the better teams from that division of play, I don't feel the need to blast the program everytime they make a move, especially when it's not justified.

Reaction Score
Nice schedule for 2014? Stony Brook? What's next Buffalo and Albany. The whole SUNY system? I kid.

Reaction Score
With UMass in the MAC, they should be our annual "FCS" game.

Stony Brook is as good as UMass. And they help us penetrate the all-important NY market.

Please elaborate how playing SB helps penetrate the market? Because there will be a blurb about the game in NY Newsday? The game will be at the Rent so its not like recruits from Long Island will be playing closer to home. Don't think LI recruits come to UConn amped to play against SB.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
i can't believe ppl are rushing to defend stony brook in this thread. they are a mother c king fcs team. chesus christ. we needed a layup fcs team right now and we got one. its better than playing townson or some black college form the mexcio border. doesnt matter if they won a fcs ship or finished last in fcs. doesn't matter. they are a close school, its a good move becuase they may bring 1k fans with them. thats a win for our pocket books. is it good news? no, its ok just news. the other 3 or 4 ooc games are important. if u read wardes lines here u can figure out what 1 of them is, but no one here has.

No FCS team is a layup with this HC and philosophy.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
With UMass in the MAC, they should be our annual "FCS" game.

Please elaborate how playing SB helps penetrate the market? Because there will be a blurb about the game in NY Newsday? The game will be at the Rent so its not like recruits from Long Island will be playing closer to home. Don't think LI recruits come to UConn amped to play against SB.

LI is a part of the nyc demo. all those local newspapers on LI will have this game with a nice write up as its the local fcs team playing a big boy team. thats good press for uconn in nyc. its worth every penny to us to get good pr anywhere right now.

we need to look to the future with umass and start a 10 year series in 2020 and get this stuff going. all sports h/w rotate but in fball 2 for 1 with that 1 being at the razor until they get a on campus stadium 1 day in which we can chage the setup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom