2023 Recruiting: - Stephon Castle | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Stephon Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

“My official visit went really well,” he said. “I like the coaching staff and I could tell my parents did too. It is close to my second home in New York where my family is so I really like that too.”

NY/NJ connections paying off again.

Gotta be a good thing that he decided to announce within the month right after our visit. My gut tells me it's the good guys or Auburn.

Reaction Score
Hurley right now…
i got this fox GIF by MasterChef Junior

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Late growth spurt is part of the reason for his rise to around #25 in the updated rankings. Being listed 6'6 in the most updated places from what I can see.
Yeah he's 25th on Rivals, 27th in 247's own, and then not ranked in the ESPN top 60.

Reaction Score
My thoughts on extremely limited footage...

• 6'6 combo guards are tough to come by. Great frame for bulking up too--wide shoulders.
  • A few nice pocket passes. Generally not a lot of passing... but that's just highlight videos.
  • Not sure his handle is "lead guard" material, but likely better than anything we have at the 2-spot right now.
  • Plenty of left-handed finishes in here. Always good to see. Tons of 5* prospects have nothing in the way of an off hand finish.
  • Shooting form is solid. He's not Hawkins, but he's not shooting like Andre either. I expect he'll be a pretty good shooter from the get-go. The form looks purer off a catch and shoot (Especially in the corner) than off the dribble. He needs to do some work cleaning up his pickups. Shot is a little slow too. Great place to start for improvement.
  • Good athleticism. Probably Gaffney level-ish. He's not earthbound, but not a high flyer like Andre or Hawkins or even Rese.
  • Embraces a bunch of contact
  • Plays lead guard for his hs team
  • Inbounds for his hs team... good sign Re: his passing ability
  • HS team plays a zone. Not a lot to see with defense... looks lazy, but that is basically true of 90% of our recruits in hs.
  • Not IMG level competition or anything... but not bad either. Decent.
  • He came up really clutch in that game I have the videos on below. Put up 17/4 (I think). Solid for a sophomore.

From the longer video.. a few plays I like

Euro finish

Nice hit ahead. (and notice how he plays fast... but doesn't run fast? Amazing how that works ;) )
2021 Jason Edwards is LEGIT! Cooking up and waffles . 2023 Stephon Castle too tuff' for Newton.

Dump off pass
2021 Jason Edwards is LEGIT! Cooking up and waffles . 2023 Stephon Castle too tuff' for Newton.

Mismatch post up... as a 6'6 2G I would love to see this in college from him on occasion.

Another hit ahead

Toughness under the rim. I think 1/2 from the line.

Putback

Great unselfish assist

End to end + midrange J. Needs to be a 3.

Dunk

Crunch time steal and lay in

Crunch time J

2/2 from the line here--I Think

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
More thoughts...
  • Reminds me A LOT of Kadary Richmond. Tough and has some playground to his game... Not a superior athlete, but his size is a major asset. Improving as a shooter quickly.
  • I really wish he didn't spend so much time on mid-range post ups and mid-range shots. That's a weird stylistic choice by his HS coach. Just turn those same shots a couple more feet out and you have a wayyyy more effecient player.
  • I count 18 points 6 assists in this one.

Post up
#1 Player in Georgia JABARI SMITH is a TOP 5 draft pick. Newton humbles Sandy Creek.

Hit ahead assist
#1 Player in Georgia JABARI SMITH is a TOP 5 draft pick. Newton humbles Sandy Creek.

Tough mid-range J

3-ball

Another post-up mid-range J

Another 3-ball

Another 3 ball

Tough post feed assist

Great assist on the break

Secondary break drive and kick for the assist

Assist

Another 3

Followed by an assist on the next play

Reaction Score
Seems to have a little Jalen Adams and James Bouknight in his game. Not a bad combo.

Reaction Score
From his AAU season... Interesting how Jakai Newton seems to get all the love, when Castle is the higher ranked player. AAU is practically meaningless, but the more recent videos seem to show him using some more strength and athleticism.

- Needs to get stronger finishing off two feet. He doesn't always elevate and catch the body. Does the Jalen Adams routine and tries to get acrobatic with his arms and torso.

- I count 9-11 points and 6 assists in this one.

Nice assist here
Jakai Newton is the next big thing ...we promise!! GA Stars 2023 EYBL vs ATL Xpress 2023 UAA.

Showing off the 2 foot hops for a dunk
Jakai Newton is the next big thing ...we promise!! GA Stars 2023 EYBL vs ATL Xpress 2023 UAA.

Throwing the oop

Easy assist

Drawing contact for 2. Really not a strong finish--but he made it.

Another 2 foot finish... also kind of wonky.

Another easy assist

Drawing the foul--misses the 2... not sure about FTs.

Much better tough 2 finish with the and 1. Makes the FT. Elevates and puts his body on the line here

Long assist cross court

Reaction Score
  • Scored or assisted on his teams first 10 points.
  • Big fan of his catch and shoot. Much less so his off the dribble shooting.
  • Team went on a run with him in to start. Sat him and 1 other starter, and the other team went on a run... ballooned the lead back to 18pts as soon as he came back in.
  • Sat a bunch of the second half when they had a lead.
  • I count 10 points and 2 assists.

3 ball
Newton taking care of business against rival Rockdale. They hoopin' out here during the pandemic!

Basic give and go for 2
Newton taking care of business against rival Rockdale. They hoopin' out here during the pandemic!

Another 3

Hit ahead assist

Rebound and putback for 2

Assist

Reaction Score
From the 247 article:

The head coach that he has the tightest relationship with will likely be the biggest winner in his sweepstakes. As of now, it looks as if things are working in the favor for the two programs that received official visits from him this fall."

Those two OV were Auburn and UConn this past weekend.

Reaction Score

If anyone wants to read that article without the paywall locking it up here's a link.

“Really and truly, the biggest thing for Stephon was going there and being able to see the boys practice,” Quannette noted. “We went to other schools and haven’t had the ability to see the kids practice, so those were really, really big things for him. The campus was wonderful ... and just sitting down and speaking with Danny. He’s such an authentic coach. He’s really interested in Stephon’s recruitment and getting him to UConn. It was just a great experience all the way around.”

UConn recruit Stephon Castle got a surprise visit of his own during his trip to Storrs

Reaction Score
If anyone wants to read that article without the paywall locking it up here's a link.

“Really and truly, the biggest thing for Stephon was going there and being able to see the boys practice,” Quannette noted. “We went to other schools and haven’t had the ability to see the kids practice, so those were really, really big things for him. The campus was wonderful ... and just sitting down and speaking with Danny. He’s such an authentic coach. He’s really interested in Stephon’s recruitment and getting him to UConn. It was just a great experience all the way around.”

UConn recruit Stephon Castle got a surprise visit of his own during his trip to Storrs
Thank you Hooper!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Castle has been stormed. It's taken.

Who's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA