State Ethics Office Rules Corey Edsall Can Coach Only This Year At UConn; Ethics Laws Broken | Page 8 | The Boneyard

State Ethics Office Rules Corey Edsall Can Coach Only This Year At UConn; Ethics Laws Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

That would be the losing-est of losing arguments. Arguing that the statute does not apply is fruitless because it clearly does. Arguing that the statute has not been violated is at least debatably correct and it gives them the best chance to prevail on appeal.

The university should also pursue a legislative solution

Well, so far your way lost to a 7-1 vote

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Corey has a contract with the University, not the Head Coach. If the AD or anyone above Randy wants Corey gone, he's gone. If Randy didn't like it, he'd be gone too. It doesn't sound like a civil service personnel situation to me.

The logic behind this decision is the same as daytime TV. More interest in the buzz than the correct outcome.

Yep. Not only is the hiring practice for all the coaches outside the norm, so is the firing practice. It's very simple for the committee to just acknowledge the contracts of all the coaches at the state public universities fall outside the scope of the ethics committee. Why do we know it's outside the scope? They had to cite Michigan state law.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That would be the losing-est of losing arguments. Arguing that the statute does not apply is fruitless because it clearly does. Arguing that the statute has not been violated is at least debatably correct and it gives them the best chance to prevail on appeal.

The university should also pursue a legislative solution

You're half right. UConn SHOULD argue that the contract is outside the scope of the committee. And then UConn gives the committee a path forward to putting future contracts in their wheelhouse.

If there is anything a governmental committee loves its requirement creep and scope creep.

Reaction Score
Yep. Not only is the hiring practice for all the coaches outside the norm, so is the firing practice. It's very simple for the committee to just acknowledge the contracts of all the coaches at the state public universities fall outside the scope of the ethics committee. Why do we know it's outside the scope? They had to cite Michigan state law.

They could drop the entire Michigan citation and reach the same conclusion. It says under CT statute they can use the common meaning of terms. They only cited Michigan for a court doing just that, applying a dictionary definition of "employee" that they like (Note: I could go to other dictionaries and find definitions that would not be as helpful to the board's interpretation). They could just cite the same dictionary and use the definition to be under CT law.

C

Chief00

Another approach is just run the job through the UConn Foundation - they helped pay Calhoun's salary for years.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wrong. AD has hire/fire authority. Regarding Corey, Randy does not.

Exactly, they all work for the school/AD, not the head coach. The HC has day to day supervision, and in this case, has even further delegated that. Cory, as TE coach, would be supervised by the OC.

I understand the rule, and support the overall goal, but let's get real. Nobody who is doing some nepotistic hiring of a useless person because they have power or influence, puts that person in their department. They stash them elsewhere, and do the same for others. That's where the fraud is. Go find all the siblings, cousins aunts and uncles of everyone working for the state at a high level or in the legislature, and that is where you will find people doing nothing and drawing a paycheck and pension for it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They could drop the entire Michigan citation and reach the same conclusion. It says under CT statute they can use the common meaning of terms. They only cited Michigan for a court doing just that, applying a dictionary definition of "employee" that they like (Note: I could go to other dictionaries and find definitions that would not be as helpful to the board's interpretation). They could just cite the same dictionary and use the definition to be under CT law.

Which is my point. They have leeway to use different sources to reach a conclusion. Regardless of the conclusion.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I wonder if they would get involved for a scholarship situation instead of a contract? Like if Ollie's son had been a top recruit, would this group have said that he couldn't be on scholarship at UConn because of the nepotism rules?

Could you imagine Calhoun going in front of this group back in the 1990s to justify giving Jeff a scholarship?! Or Marrone back in the 80s?:rolleyes:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So, the head of every state agency can hire their kid to an assistant director position (or any other appointed, non-civil service position) as long as there's a plan on paper making the governor the nominal supervisor (or maybe the governor's designee such as the CoS) with hire/fire authority. That's an appropriate arms length relationship that should satisfy ethics authorities?

Based on what appears to be good performance in his non-player development duties (we'll see this fall how the TEs develop on the field) I want the kid here too. I just think people are dreaming if they think the current plan is going to fly in court. I hope I'm wrong, but they should have friendly legislators draft a narrow bill exempting this case (i.e. Athletic Department contract employees that serve at the pleasure of a head coach can be relatives with approval of the AD and school president) just in case.

Civil service positions can not be terminated for convenience and compensation is set by collective bargaining. If a department head hired his kid, there would be little recourse for removing him or reducing an inflated salary. It would also deny other workers of their rights.

None of that is occurring here, each coach has an individual contract with the school/state. If they are tied to the collective bargaining agreements then that is a mistake by some lawyer/legislature somewhere.

What special leverage does Corey have that any other coach wouldn't? They are all tied to Randy's continued employment and any personell changes have to be OK with the AD. If there is a disagreement, the AD wins and Randy gets fired.

It's stupid and an unnecessary black eye for the program.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, the head of every state agency can hire their kid to an assistant director position (or any other appointed, non-civil service position) as long as there's a plan on paper making the governor the nominal supervisor (or maybe the governor's designee such as the CoS) with hire/fire authority. That's an appropriate arms length relationship that should satisfy ethics authorities?
Lol, here's a tip. If you have to fabricate long, complex, fictional scenarios to support your point, you don't have one.

Reaction Score
None of that is occurring here, each coach has an individual contract with the school/state. If they are tied to the collective bargaining agreements then that is a mistake by some lawyer/legislature somewhere.

I believe that all UConn coaches full under the UConn-AAUP Collective Bargaining Agreement. Not 100% sure on what rights/benefits it covers off the top of my head.

Reaction Score
Exactly, they all work for the school/AD, not the head coach. The HC has day to day supervision, and in this case, has even further delegated that. Cory, as TE coach, would be supervised by the OC.
... and, Rhett Lashlee (sp?) himself directly reports in writing to AD Benedict.

Reaction Score
Lol, here's a tip. If you have to fabricate long, complex, fictional scenarios to support your point, you don't have one.

You think a one sentence description is long? It is also not truly a work of fiction. It's exactly the same scenario with the job titles changed. It even allows the boss to actually ship the work of supervising off to a designee just like the AD can under the plan UConn submitted (if our AD has the time to actively supervise and direct a single position coach on one team there's something wrong). Bottom line: if you have a problem with this
long, complex and supposedly fictional scenario then you don't have much of a case because it's exactly what UConn did.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You think a one sentence description is long? It is also not truly a work of fiction. It's exactly the same scenario with the job titles changed. It even allows the boss to actually ship the work of supervising off to a designee just like the AD can under the plan UConn submitted (if our AD has the time to actively supervise and direct a single position coach on one team there's something wrong). Bottom line: if you have a problem with this
long, complex and supposedly fictional scenario then you don't have much of a case because it's exactly what UConn did.
No, it isn't. It is a fantasy that you've resorted to because you can't make a case under the actual facts.

Stop digging. The hole you are in is deep enough.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I believe that all UConn coaches full under the UConn-AAUP Collective Bargaining Agreement. Not 100% sure on what rights/benefits it covers off the top of my head.

Probably true, but it's the wrong set up for this type of job. The football coach isn't faculty as much as we like to pretend it is. His contract is a one off, there is no need for underlying language from a collective bargaining agreement.

The idea they have to post the jobs is also silly. Why hire search firms then?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Probably true, but it's the wrong set up for this type of job. The football coach isn't faculty as much as we like to pretend it is. His contract is a one off, there is no need for underlying language from a collective bargaining agreement.

To find the candidate so they can get the candidates resume/background and write the job description.

Reaction Score

I'm not disagreeing that there needs to be carve outs for UConn Athletic when and if reasonable. If State and University policy and procedures/regulations need to change to reflect "real world" scenarios/best practices - they need to work w/ the State Liaisons and CGA to get them changed. End arounds very rarely work.

Here are the UConn Athletic Dept Hiring Procedures (pg 33/34): http://policy.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/243/2016/09/2016-17-Employee-Handbook-1.pdf

Here is the proposed updated language for UConn Coaches to the new AAUP CBA: http://aaupbargaining.uconn.edu/wp-...ement-NEW-Coaches-and-Trainers-06.20.2017.pdf

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Civil service positions can not be terminated for convenience and compensation is set by collective bargaining. If a department head hired his kid, there would be little recourse for removing him or reducing an inflated salary. It would also deny other workers of their rights.

What special leverage does Corey have that any other coach wouldn't? They are all tied to Randy's continued employment and any personell changes have to be OK with the AD. If there is a disagreement, the AD wins and Randy gets fired.

It's stupid and an unnecessary black eye for the program.

Senior agency positions such as commissioners and their deputies are not civil service positions and can be terminated at the pleasure of the governor, but they are still covered by state ethics statutes just like coaches. If we believe coaches shouldn't be covered by certain ethics rules then its best to start reaching out our legislators because we can't just wish them away like some here want to believe.

Reaction Score
Bottom line: if you have a problem with this

It is? Edsall got a $50,000 payment outside of the agreed upon terms in the contract? Edsall benefited financially after he agreed to the terms of the contract and before he started work? How, exactly?

Since that isn't what happened, it's not exactly what UConn did, and your scenario doesn't work. Why not just argue the merits of the case as it is, rather than fabricating a scenario that favors your opinion, but doesn't align with the facts as they pertain to the Edsalls?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Based on what appears to be good performance in his non-player development duties (we'll see this fall how the TEs develop on the field) I want the kid here too. I just think people are dreaming if they think the current plan is going to fly in court. I hope I'm wrong, but they should have friendly legislators draft a narrow bill exempting this case (i.e. Athletic Department contract employees that serve at the pleasure of a head coach can be relatives with approval of the AD and school president) just in case.

It's no "plan on paper" just to satisfy this one particular concern. The UConn AD is the head of the entire athletic dept. He or she can hire and fire anybody in their department, in their sole discretion. Benedict can fire any assistant coach with or without the blessing of the head coach of that particular sport. They didn't create some artificial hierarchy of authority just to satisfy the state ethics board on this one hire. That's the way it always has been and always will be. Benedict reports directly only to the president of the university.

Yes, it's quite a stretch to make it look plausible that Randy has no authority over his son's duties and performance. Clearly he does. Also, the university should never have consulted with him as though they were asking for a suggestion as to what Corey's salary offer should be, which I believe is documented in a couple of e-mails. They should have left Randy completely out of the entire hiring process once they had established that they wanted Corey to join the staff. Ultimately that may be what hangs the university in this situation. It was a big mistake, although they may have thought they had already satisfied any concerns with the ethics board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom