State Ethics Office Rules Corey Edsall Can Coach Only This Year At UConn; Ethics Laws Broken | Page 5 | The Boneyard

State Ethics Office Rules Corey Edsall Can Coach Only This Year At UConn; Ethics Laws Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Simply infuriating...proving once again beyond any doubt that the folks running this state are incompetent, small time, petty, idiots.

Interestingly, it probably breaches RE's contract since it was specifically negotiated as part of the consideration for his contract and him agreeing to come back. Since the Cory hire was part of the inducement for RE, its not nepotism because RE didn't use his position or authority to hire Cory or extend special privileges to him. Moreover, Cory doesn't work for his father.

This should just be appealed to a court. It's really stupid. Or, as an alternative, have the legislature write in an exemption by special act.

It reminds me of the huge crumbling foundation problem where our illustrious leaders help hide the problem for 17 years with the insurance industry, and allowed them to get away with rewriting their policies to exclude coverage so thousands of homeowners are now victimized.

As long as they can tax and regulate the hell out of you to cover their state pensions, they could care less about anything else.

The swamp in CT is alive and well. The whole rotten bunch running the state for the last 20 years need to go.

I tend to agree here that they will appeal the ruling. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets overturned but what do I know. Frankly I think it's pretty ridiculous this has become an issue given all the other issues our state has plus the fact we gave FHCBD a huge extension after minimal results.

In hindsight Edsall's agent probably should've been the one discussing salaries for Corey.

Reaction Score
By the ethics board's logic, Warde was an employee of Michigan the entire February and part of March that he was working for UConn because he had signed the contract to start March 14 at Michigan in January.

And there is your closing argument.

Reaction Score
Two thoughts come to mind. Sorry if they've already been asked

1) This is involves a state employee. Did no legal checking process occur in his hiring? UConn football is fairly high-profile within the state; how did the hiring initially go through?

I read on the Courant that the hiring of RE's kid was hidden from the state by UCONN and/or RE until after he was hired.

Reaction Score
I read on the Courant that the hiring of RE's kid was hidden from the state by UConn and/or RE until after he was hired.

You don't need to read the Courant - read the draft Advisory Opinion. Courant/Jacobs left out some key points along the way.

The whole thing is beyond stupid and shouldn't have happened the way it did. CE is qualified for the job and this wasn't a handout but there were some serious miscalculations on UConn's part.

I hope they craft a solution before next December.

Reaction Score
The state is so little league. There is a segment of government and media that is happy UConn is outside looking in

If you go around state government there are so many relatives and spouses. In fact, if you marry the right person you are guaranteed two promotions.

Reaction Score
The state is so little league. There is a segment of government and media that is happy UConn is outside looking in

If you go around state government there are so many relatives and spouses. In fact, if you marry the right person you are guaranteed two promotions.
Actually, most Little Leagues are run much better [and more cheaply] than Ct. state government.

Reaction Score
While I understand the need for anti-nepotism laws I struggle with this ruling. Those laws are intended to protect us from relatives without skills being given jobs that they aren't qualified for. In this case Corey is qualified for the position having coached elsewhere and this is pretty commonplace in coaching circles. Sometimes I think there are some who just don't want this program to succeed. Frustrating.

In addition these laws are there to prevent a Director/Manager level employee from hiring a relative instead of hiring or promoting an existing employee from within that department that has the required skills and experience. This is a key point in this case as at the time of the hiring there were no other employees that CE was being hired over. There was no existing employees that lost out on an opportunity to get hired or promoted due to this. The law really doesn't apply in the case of an athletic dept. coaching staff.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here are those on the board that voted against UConn.

This just smells of small time, but then again this is Connecticut the home of small time thinking.
...and maybe just a hint of anti-football bias.

They didn't vote yet... the vote is Thursday?

Yep.
  • Pack the room.
  • Talk about the fact that there was no opportunity for abuse.
    • Negotiated with an independent party not unilaterally enacted.
    • AD Benedict will set Corey's future salary.
  • Talk about value for Connecticut
    • both RE2 and Corey's salaries are both under market.
  • Committee's opinion requires a redefining of the contract terms in order to create a violation:
    • Created a new "deemed starting date."
    • Created new "deemed supervisory structure."

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
MASSACHUSETTS! Their main piece of legislation this year was a pay raise!

Mass has problems but it is in much, much better shape than Connecticut. More legislation is often the problem, not the solution.

Reaction Score
If you read the opinion, you will relatively easily see the Chairman has some axe to grind because UConn did not genuflect at the feet of the commission and resisted asking for a formal advisory opininion, arguing it complied with law. The Chairman filed his own request for an opinion. To the extent the Chairman was involved in formulating rhe opinion or voting on it, it should be tossed on the basis alone. Secondly, the reason that it allows the one year continuation is because they are trying to avoid a claim of preemptive breach of contract. Either the contract is void by statute (it was per se unlawful) or it isn't. These guys are such political wimps they won't even stand behind their finding and they have no authority to allow the contract to continue. It goes well beyond their statutory authority to do so.

There is also a claim to be made by Cory since he was not a party to the action, and his name and reputation are damaged by a proceeding where he should have been a mandatory party in interest, violating his due process.

There is a high probability a court would overturn this. It is so tainted by arbitrary and capricious action it is laughable.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I also go back to my point when this first was brought up in the beginning of the year.

EVERY coach hired by Edsall was done outside the normal state hiring policy. As the board so cutely says, prima fascia .

Simple question, how many people were interviewed for each position within normal hiring practices?

We all know the silly rule about having a position posted for X number of days. We also know the coach is interviewed, they get his resume and then they write the job description.

In other words, the process of hiring CE wasn't any different than the process of hiring the entire staff.

C

Chief00

Unfortunately, a meeting just came up at work and I won't be able to attend. I hope others can make it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anyone going?

Reaction Score
MASSACHUSETTS! Their main piece of legislation this year was a pay raise!
And we have a winner for most uninformed dumbest comment of the thread! Congrats, you win 5 more likes.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Patiently waiting for "I'm out of order? You're out of order, this whole court is out of order!" Tweet.

Either that or Randy saying if he was half the man he was 5 years ago he'd take a flame thrower to this place. Oh wait, he did.

See people, plenty of jokes for all sides.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Someone going to Nathan Jessup on their arses.

RE: You WANT Corey on that wall! You NEED Corey on that wall! Who's gonna do it? You, Mark Emmert? Corey has a greater responsibility than you can fathom...

Panel: Did Corey start recruiting the west coast for real?

RE: You're God damn right he did!!!

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member