State Ethics Office Rules Corey Edsall Can Coach Only This Year At UConn; Ethics Laws Broken | Page 3 | The Boneyard

State Ethics Office Rules Corey Edsall Can Coach Only This Year At UConn; Ethics Laws Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OK so this seems incredibly petty maybe vindictive and he appears totally qualified in fact probably an upgrade. So is there further recourse?

C

Chief00

Just further confirmation that the political hacks that run this state and their dim witted appointments are a total disaster. We need to clean our incompetent and corrupt state government house, keep Corey and never look back at this dysfunction that turned a rich state into a losing mess.

Reaction Score
Just further confirmation that the political hacks that run this state and their dim witted appointments are a total disaster. We need to clean our incompetent and corrupt state government house, keep Corey and never look back at this dysfunction that turned a rich state into a losing mess.
First time I've ever agreed with Chief

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
OK so this seems incredibly petty maybe vindictive and he appears totally qualified in fact probably an upgrade. So is there further recourse?
Call your state legislator and ask if he will support an exception made for this circumstance.

As noted in Reitz's excellent response, this was independently negotiated as a part of Randy's deal which well below market even if you count Corey's salary as a part of Randy's compensation.

A lot of good comments above. @SubbaBub (I think) hits the nail on the head when he talks about the fact that is no opportunity for abuse here. Randy negotiated Corey's employment as a condition of his employment. Randy does not have hire/fire or compensation authority for Corey. Use those criteria for an exception and be done with this issue.

Reaction Score
I went to twitter and engaged Senator Bob Duff who has been a pretty big supporter of UConn athletics. He asked for a copy of the decision so I attached a link to the article in my reply. I urge everyone to reach out some way some how to a state senator or rep and let their feelings be known.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Theres not a big enough face palm in the world for this. Holy crap,this is mind numbingly stupid. I wanna know whos really got an issue with his hiring.

Read the full draft AO (link above) - not the news articles. UConn could have handled this much better.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Read the full draft AO (link above) - not the news articles. UConn could have handled this much better.

Upon further reading our legal counsil aint real good is it.

Reaction Score
There is so much that pisses me off about this.

From the ruling itself, which was so full of snark from a group of people who couldn't advance beyond the bottom rung of the legal profession;

To the fact that our legislature couldnt seem to remember to include a standard exception to the state ethics laws for special permission;

To the haphazard manner in which the University initially approached this. From the looks of it, whoever wrote the press response should have been handling this from the beginning.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Unreal. Absolutely unreal.

We finally have a solid Twitter presence. We finally have a solid West Coast recruiting presence. Both, in my opinion, happen to be brought to us by Corey Edsall. Idiots. The whole lot of them. Idiots.

Well, we have 1 year to figure out how to pass legislation that allows for an exemption for sports teams, which is exactly where an exemption should exist IMO. They are essentially saying that Luke Walton could coach a CT basketball team but could not have Bill Walton coach the bigs. Or that Rex Ryan and Rob Ryan couldn't be on staff together. Or Peyton Manning couldn't bring in Eli to be the quarterbacks coach. Or a host of other examples of high level professional folks that couldn't come here because we are stupid... :confused:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I suggest that the NCAA be brought in to address this egregious violation! As soon as they get done with North Carolina, that is. Our penalty must be made proportional to UNC's penalties. Net result? Coach Edsall the younger gets a raise! The Ethics Board should find jobs in the real world.

Reaction Score
UConn's position that Edsall became an employee when his contract stated as much is completely legitimate. Jeff Jacobs' argument in his article about the hypothetical business school dean is a great comparison here. The real argument UConn has here is Corey is a legitimately hired coach performing a legitimate job for which he was a legitimately qualified candidate. Yes, he is Randy's son and that gave him a leg up - but when I refer someone to apply for a job at my company that gives that applicant a leg up, this framework exists ethically in many organizations. The state is not paying Corey $95K to sit around and do nothing, he's performing his duties well, he was qualified to be hired for the position, and this whole thing is a ridiculous load of crap.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Anyone who wants to know what is wrong with Connecticut just has to read this ruling to know this state is screwed.

This has to be changed and we as fans, alumni, and taxpayers need to voice our concerns and have this changed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pack the meeting. Push the key points stated here that there is no opportunity of abuse and that the State has to re-characterize the the plain language of the parties in the contract and regarding direct supervision to create a violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom