Starting lineup prediction thread. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting lineup prediction thread.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This lineup would put us at a significant rebounding disavantage. I think it's more likely that we try to spread the floor, run the break with a 3 guard 2 true forward lineup rather than using a stretch 4. We will need someone at the 4 who can rebound.

And I expect Polley, if he has improved a lot, to start at the 3 if anywhere. I think people are perhaps expecting too much from Wilson right now.

I expect to see two of Carlton, Cobb, Diarra, Yawke, Whaley, Williams on the floor. Those are our 5 “bigs”. Polley is a wing.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Adams
Vital
polley or a third guard?
MD
Carlton

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hurley’s challenge has to be figuring out how Adams and Gilbert can play together. They’re our most talented players(former 5 stars), and could be the difference betweeen making the tournament, or having an average season. Diarra will start because I’m guessing Hurley won’t like be out rebounded.

Reaction Score
Alterique Gilbert and Jalen Adams are the starting guards in the backcourt. Hurley will manage AG's minutes, but from the starting position. Besides being one of the two most skilled players on the team, Jalen the other, AG has the strong leadership qualities this team needs in the mold of Bazz, Kemba, Taliek, AJ, Ricky, Marcus, Kevin, Doron, etc. He is a floor general both on the court and off, and the team will play cohesively with him at the 1. Jalen is the other point guard on the floor, but more looking to score than facilitate. Vital, Smith, and Brendan Adams will come off the bench. Carlton will start at the 5. Wilson or Polley at the 3, and the 4 is really crazy. Polley, Yakwe, Diarra, Whaley, and Cobb all vying for this starting position. Polley if we play smaller (Wilson at the 3), Cobb I really think will come off the bench to create matchup problems for the opposing team, Williiams off the bench, leaving Yakwe, Diarra, or Whaley to start in a more traditional set. If Yakwe plays to his potential I think he has the edge with his rebounding, shot blocking skills, and experience in the post. Whoever wins out will be the player that alongside Josh Carlton makes us the strongest in the post both offensively and defensively.

July 8th

Gilbert, Adams, Polley, Yakwe, Carlton

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
You have to start the two best players (Alterique and Jalen) and the best big (Carlton). Vital, Wilson, Smith, and Polley will fight it out for the rest of the perimeter minutes. Yakwe, Whaley, Cobb, Diarra, Kwintin will fight it out on the interior. Polley may be a 4 in small lineups to provide more offense.

I think it's going to be a good team. I really have no way to handicap the players considering that last year wasn't representative of their capabilities and the team will have a new style of play. It will be fun to see how the competition plays out.

Reaction Score
I expect if it comes down to starting Gilbert or Vital and not both, we’ll more likely see Vital in the 6th man role. He has matured quite a bit and may be better suited to come off the bench and give the team a spark when needed.

Reaction Score
We can’t play two non shooting bigs, with shaky shooting guards. Are spacing will be beyond bad. I think Polley will be used in a stretch four role quite often. I like Wilson at the three to help with rebounding.

If Vital can shoot 37 plus from three he will have to be on the floor. if He doesn’t make shots I could See smith Gilbert and Adams taking most of the guard minutes.

pj

Reaction Score
We can’t play two non shooting bigs, with shaky shooting guards. Are spacing will be beyond bad. I think Polley will be used in a stretch four role quite often. I like Wilson at the three to help with rebounding.

If Vital can shoot 37 plus from three he will have to be on the floor. if He doesn’t make shots I could See smith Gilbert and Adams taking most of the guard minutes.

This is right. If Vital is the best shooter, he'll get time, in a combination of backup guard to Alterique and Jalen and in 3-guard lineups. I expect Jalen, Alterique, Sid, and Tyler to all shoot around 33% from 3, hopefully better for Tyler. To win time Christian has to be significantly better than 33% as a shooter, maybe over 40%, to justify time given his deficiencies in length (vs Sid and Tyler) or playmaking ability (versus Alterique and Jalen).

Then on the interior we need at least a credible threat on offense. Carlton has an ability to score near the basket and Tyler would spread the floor if he plays the 4; that would be the best offensively but is it enough defensively? We have to see who else can step up. It probably will take into January to settle on an interior rotation, the role for each player, and a style that is optimized for each combination of players.

Reaction Score
I expect if it comes down to starting Gilbert or Vital and not both, we’ll more likely see Vital in the 6th man role. He has matured quite a bit and may be better suited to come off the bench and give the team a spark when needed.

I see him starting, with Gilbert off the bench. Vital started all last season and averaged nearly 15 ppg, albeit with less than stellar fg %s. I think it is his starting job based on experience and desire to keep the position. I see him much happier and productive in a starting role.

Having said that, if Gilbert is good enough and ready to surplant Vital, then we will have a really good backcourt.

Reaction Score

Agreed. The 4-spot is once again our achilles in some ways. Polley is just too skinny, but Whaley, Williams, and Diarra can't shoot. Better to give up some rebounding with Polley to give Adams, Gilbert, Wilson some more driving lanes--that's gonna have to be our bread and butter this year.

Will Carlton learn to be a PnR threat? I like his post up ability when he gets stronger, but Adams and Rique are very creative off of screens. Screen timing and roll footwork will be huge. We haven't had a big who could roll and pull the help defender away in 5 years. If Carlton can learn to rim run, I'll be a happy fan.

I worry he doesnt have the bounce yet though. Catching lobs at the D1 level is tough if you havent been coached to create space in that situation early in your career

Reaction Score
What role , if any, does Williams play? Guy seems to have athletic ability and played hard in the few opportunities he got last year. If he can be taught how to play defense he could be useful ( I think).
I simply dont get how a guy has that type of athleticism and yet has very little in terms of actual basketball skill. Did he start playing basketball just recently?

Reaction Score
I simply dont get how a guy has that type of athleticism and yet has very little in terms of actual basketball skill. Did he start playing basketball just recently?

Because he has good genetics. But has literally played l, what, 2 seasons of competitive basketball in his life?

Reaction Score
Because he has good genetics. But has literally played l, what, 2 seasons of competitive basketball in his life?
Oh wow! Thats what i figured because hes pretty awful skill wise of what little ive seen of him. Dont mean to be harsh just an observation.

Reaction Score
Apparently, yes

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Gilbert
Adams
Vital
Diarra
Carlton

Cobb and Wilson first off the bench.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agreed. The 4-spot is once again our achilles in some ways. Polley is just too skinny, but Whaley, Williams, and Diarra can't shoot. Better to give up some rebounding with Polley to give Adams, Gilbert, Wilson some more driving lanes--that's gonna have to be our bread and butter this year.

Will Carlton learn to be a PnR threat? I like his post up ability when he gets stronger, but Adams and Rique are very creative off of screens. Screen timing and roll footwork will be huge. We haven't had a big who could roll and pull the help defender away in 5 years. If Carlton can learn to rim run, I'll be a happy fan.

I worry he doesnt have the bounce yet though. Catching lobs at the D1 level is tough if you havent been coached to create space in that situation early in your career

I'm not sure I get this. You don't need your 4 to be a threat from outside. In fact, bringing him outside will likely kill your offensive rebounding and limit options on penetration.

Hurley has already commented that Diarra is a better shooting than people think. He's got a nice stroke from 8-10 feet. That's all a four needs. We don't know if Williams or Whaley can shoot, because they never really took any shots. We know Cobb can shoot. Yawke? I don't know enough about him.

I expect part of our bread and butter to be Adams and Gilbert driving and dishing to a big who can finish at the rim, whether Carlton, Diarra, Cobb, Yawke. I expect a lot more drive, dish dunk than we've ever seen. Ollie's offense too often had the four on the perimeter, leaving Adams to go one on three with no outlet.

In any event, I think Hurley will play nearly every guy on this roster. All of them. Williams may get the fewest minutes, but who knows for sure. Whaley is another guy who might struggle to earn time.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I get this. You don't need your 4 to be a threat from outside. In fact, bringing him outside will likely kill your offensive rebounding and limit options on penetration.

Hurley has already commented that Diarra is a better shooting than people think. He's got a nice stroke from 8-10 feet. That's all a four needs. We don't know if Williams or Whaley can shoot, because they never really took any shots. We know Cobb can shoot. Yawke? I don't know enough about him.

I expect part of our bread and butter to be Adams and Gilbert driving and dishing to a big who can finish at the rim, whether Carlton, Diarra, Cobb, Yawke. I expect a lot more drive, dish dunk than we've ever seen. Ollie's offense too often had the four on the perimeter, leaving Adams to go one on three with no outlet.

In any event, I think Hurley will play nearly every guy on this roster. All of them. Williams may get the fewest minutes, but who knows for sure. Whaley is another guy who might struggle to earn time.

Modern basketball has a 4-man who stretches the floor. The days of the twin towers is over. Whether that's a good thing for the game I don't know.

Nice to hear about diarra. If he learns to just be an animal underneath, any shooting ability is a bonus at this point

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I think the athleticism translates into wows when being guarded by a chair. Against live bodies that know how to play not so much. We've seen it before

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

I don't think we know Cobb can shoot

Reaction Score
I don't think we know Cobb can shoot
I don't know what his shooting statistics were last seasons but from seeing him play pickup this spring he takes a lot of threes and misses most. We know he likes to shoot that's about it. From watching the guys play pick up (albeit from March/April) outside of Jalen and CV Polley was the best shooter. The one player who surprised me with his jumper was kwintin Williams but I'll doubt he'll come any where near playing that kind of role at UConn.

Reaction Score

I think you mau have edited.

imo of course. If you have any 2 of whaley, carlton, cobb, diarra, williams(?) In the game, you close up that driving lane that made the drove and dish popular.

The 4 is the most important spot in modern basketball in my mind. So many colleges are going to the pure 4 out system like Villanova because a 4 who is skilled enough to play in and out is very hard to find. Especially if they can guard 3-5 well. That's why players that can do all of that are so rare, and end up on NBA rosters. Certainly one of the reasons why Precious Achiuwa is regarded so well is how he fits in the modern style of basketball.

Reaction Score

You hit on a good point when you say “shaky shooting guards” and as bad a shooting team as we had last year there is no evidence yet that it’s going to be fixed. Always hope for that great leap of improvement over the summer but it’s a huge question mark again for this team. I’m not really worried about rebounding as much as shooting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom