Starting lineup prediction thread. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Starting lineup prediction thread.

Reaction Score
Normally, I'd agree but he is a singular talent (if healthy) filling a specific need. Jalen playing the 2 is good for the team and good for NBA designs. AG at the point lets that happen. I think he starts with a careful eye on his total minutes.

Does CV move to the three spot or is he first off the bench?
I have him at the 3 with Polley at the 4 at least until Diarra comes back from his injury.

Reaction Score
I have him at the 3 with Polley at the 4 at least until Diarra comes back from his injury.

The same Polley who played on UConn last year? Yeah he's not starting ever.

Reaction Score
The same Polley who played on UConn last year? Yeah he's not starting ever.
Why not? He has good offensive skills and just need the right guy to bring them out. I believe Hurley is that man. We saw them in spots last year. He can definitely shoot. I mean you think we will have Yawke(no offense) or Cobb(No Defense and Limited offense) starting? I think we will see the smaller lineup unless Diarra is healthy.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Who’s going to shoot the ball if Vital is not starting?

Reaction Score
Why not? He has good offensive skills and just need the right guy to bring them out. I believe Hurley is that man. We saw them in spots last year. He can definitely shoot. I mean you think we will have Yawke(no offense) or Cobb(No Defense and Limited offense) starting? I think we will see the smaller lineup unless Diarra is healthy.

Maybe when he is a senior and Hurley coached him long enough to bring those skills out.

Reaction Score
Maybe when he is a senior and Hurley coached him long enough to bring those skills out.
I just don't think Yawke or Cobb is talented/athletic enough to play the 4 either. That is our issue as we really don't have an ideal/talented enough 4 for the system that Hurley wants to run besides maybe Diarra who is presently injured. Hurley mentioned it is going to be hard to pick someone for that position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Isn't Diarra hurt? is there a timetable for his return? Maybe I missed it in one of the posts.

Reaction Score
Isn't Diarra hurt? is there a timetable for his return? Maybe I missed it in one of the posts.

He is injured but should be back late November, early December.

UConn Men: Mamadou Diarra Has Knee Surgery, Out 4 to 6 Months

Just based on the limited amount of ball we've seen him play I think people are being overly optimistic, he has barely played at all in the last 2 years and didn't blow anyone out of the water when on the floor last year. I would be shocked if he starts at any point this season.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Gilbert
Adams
Wilson
Polley/Diarra
Carlton

just a guess, I have no clue

Reaction Score
CV isn't coming off the bench.

Who’s going to shoot the ball if Vital is not starting?

He's a career 33% shooter from 3. Shot 31% last year. He's the definition of a streaky shooter who can get hot at any moment but also can go cold for long stretches.

People tend to forget he came off the bench the Orgeon and Michigan State games. Two of our better played games.

He should be coming off the bench as instant offense but Hurley likes three guard look and with Smith a proven 6 man and B. Adams too young and raw, that leaves Vital starting.

Reaction Score
I would be really surprised if CV doesnt start. I realize his shot selection is an area for improvement, but he averaged about 15 points last season. My guess as to our opening game starting lineup is:
JA
CV
SW
EC
JC

I think Alterique will get plenty of minutes, but that he will begin the season coming off the bench.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would be really surprised if CV doesnt start. I realize his shot selection is an area for improvement, but he averaged about 15 points last season. My guess as to our opening game starting lineup is:
JA
CV
SW
EC
JC

I think Alterique will get plenty of minutes, but that he will begin the season coming off the bench.

I'd be shocked if CV starts. I think Adams, Gilbert and Smith are all three ahead of him on the depth chart. Gilbert may be our best player by Thanksgiving. CV is set to play a microwave role, scoring off the bench. The main question marks are at the forward spots. Can Wilson earn a starting role? Does Hurley go three guards with Smith? Does Polley win out for the SF spot? Then on to PF, any one of three could start there, and maybe Whaley if he has improved.

JA
AG
Wilson/Smith
Polley/Cobb/Yawke (Diarra when healthy)
Carlton

The reality is I don't think it will be set in stone. There will be situations where we go very small with Smith at the 3 and maybe Wilson at the 4, and situations where we go big and play Polley at the 3 and Cobb or Yawke at the 4.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I just don't think Yawke or Cobb is talented/athletic enough to play the 4 either. That is our issue as we really don't have an ideal/talented enough 4 for the system that Hurley wants to run besides maybe Diarra who is presently injured. Hurley mentioned it is going to be hard to pick someone for that position.

Have you seen the new Cobb? He looks pretty athletic to me, and he's our most "talented" big in terms of skill set, outside shooting, ball handling and passing. He can certainly play the 4.

Reaction Score
Have you seen the new Cobb? He looks pretty athletic to me, and he's our most "talented" big in terms of skill set, outside shooting, ball handling and passing. He can certainly play the 4.
He didn’t have the foot speed to play it last year and was very sub par on defense. I just think we need someone more athletic playing there as the game is evolving at that position to very mobile big men.

pj

Reaction Score
We need 3 people at the 5 spot as they will get a lot of fouls. Carlton/Cobb/Yakwe presumably there.

I think we go small if we can with Vital/Wilson/Polley handling the 3 and 4 spots and Gilbert/Adams/Smith/Adams handling the 1 and 2. But sometimes we will need to play bigger with Whaley and Diarra and Yakwe at the 4. But I bet we go small to start the season with Diarra out and Yakwe maybe not 100%.

Reaction Score
if Hurley is a big analytics guy, he's gonna find some time for Whaley in there.
Hurley has repeatedly said that Whaley has to improve his skills.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if CV starts. I think Adams, Gilbert and Smith are all three ahead of him on the depth chart. Gilbert may be our best player by Thanksgiving. CV is set to play a microwave role, scoring off the bench. The main question marks are at the forward spots. Can Wilson earn a starting role? Does Hurley go three guards with Smith? Does Polley win out for the SF spot? Then on to PF, any one of three could start there, and maybe Whaley if he has improved.

JA
AG
Wilson/Smith
Polley/Cobb/Yawke (Diarra when healthy)
Carlton

The reality is I don't think it will be set in stone. There will be situations where we go very small with Smith at the 3 and maybe Wilson at the 4, and situations where we go big and play Polley at the 3 and Cobb or Yawke at the 4.
I would be surprised if CV doesn't start. I realize last season was a mess but CV was second on the team in scoring and first on the team in rebounds, steals, three-pointers made, and free throw percentage. It would be highly unusual for a healthy player who averaged 15 points a game the prior season to not start.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if CV doesn't start. I realize last season was a mess but CV was second on the team in scoring and first on the team in rebounds, steals, three-pointers made, and free throw percentage. It would be highly unusual for a healthy player who averaged 15 points a game the prior season to not start.

You do realize that the team only had three guards and one was Anderson? And CV only got 15 points because he was a horrific ball hog who hoisted tons of bad shots rather than passing the ball. He shot .383 which is not good. If he is at 15 a game this year the team will stink.

We now have Gilbert who is much, much, much better than CV, Wilson who is probably better and Smith who is more of a team player. Polley was a better 3 point shooter than CV and can certainly play the 3. I hope CV contributes and reins in his previous ways. He is a solid FT shooter and I think he has a good chance to finish games.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Different team, different offense. If CV can play in a team offense, he will be fine. Minutes at the 2 and the 3. But he is not better at team offense than AG

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
CV had the ability to be a good 3 and D type player.

He needs to buy into what hurley is selling.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Adams J.
CV
Wilson (Gilbert when deemed healthy enough)
Yawke or Cobb or Isaiah Whaley (Hurley says he lies awake at night worrying about the 4 position)
Carlton

Wilson can't play the 4...too small.
Polley is not strong or aggressive enough. Also, yet to show he can shoot well-enough that Hurley can sacrifice his defense/rebounding. I don't think he gets a lot of time this year...maybe in the future.
Wilson's skill level, which is still an unknown, will determine how often we go small. If he is solid, I think it happens often. If not, Whaley may see more time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom