Starting lineup prediction thread. | The Boneyard

Starting lineup prediction thread.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This is going to be interesting because outside of Jalen Adams and maybe Josh Carlton it's pretty much wide open. What do you guys got?

Reaction Score
Adams
Vital
Wilson
Diarra
Carlton

For those saying Wilson at the 4, I don’t see it. The guy is 6’5.5 and weighs 180. If he’s at the 4 we automatically are at a rebounding disadvantage.

UconnU

Reaction Score
For those saying Wilson at the 4, I don’t see it. The guy is 6’5.5 and weighs 180. If he’s at the 4 we automatically are at a rebounding disadvantage.
Match-up dependent.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Smith, Adams, Vital, Diarra, Carlton

Reaction Score
I’m going to assume Gilbert is not 100% at the start .
If he is 100% Adams May play the two
Adams
Vital
Wilson
Polley
Carlton
That’s my lineup in a classic half court set.
That puts three or four shooters on the floor to give Adams the space he needs .
There will however be substantial situational lineups .
With a healthy Gilbert the combos are many given our Depth and experience.
If your pressing it probably will be with three guards.
In that case you don’t want Polley and Carlton you opt for the post grad shot blocker and and Whaley or Diarra .
If you gamble and lose than you don’t want to give up easy baskets or get Carlton and Polley in foul trouble.
I’m told Wilson can shoot well enough to play the three if that’s the case the teams potential jumps exponentially.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
Hurley’s most used lineup from last year featured 4 guards. It’s entirely plausible that it could be Gilbert, Adams, Vital, Wilson, and Carlton.

I think early on though, it’s more likely to be Adams, Vital, Wilson, Diarra, and Carlton.

One thing I’m excited for is for Hurley to find a lineup that works and stick with it.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Hurley’s most used lineup from last year featured 4 guards. It’s entirely plausible that it could be Gilbert, Adams, Vital, Wilson, and Carlton.

I think early on though, it’s more likely to be Adams, Vital, Wilson, Diarra, and Carlton.

One thing I’m excited for is for Hurley to find a lineup that works and stick with it.
The problem with this is that our guards do not rebound as well as the guards he had last year did.

pj

Reaction Score
Gilbert, Adams, Wilson, toss-up, Carlton. For the open spot, I think Polley gets it when we go small for offense and are not out-muscled. Diarra, Cobb, Whaley all could contest when we need more size. May the best 4 win! Smith, Vital, Polley get significant minutes backing up the perimeter.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Adams
Carlton
Diarra
Gilbert
Smith

A couple of guesses there. Will Gilbert be ready To start? Will Yawke claim a starting spot next to Carlton? I expect Wilson to be what he is, a skinny true freshman. Maybe later in the year he earns the spot. I think Hurley really likes Smith.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I’m tired of hearing this. He also played traditional lineups when he had them. He played that lineup because it was all he had. We should not expect to see it here. I think 3 guards will not even be that common.

Reaction Score
What role , if any, does Williams play? Guy seems to have athletic ability and played hard in the few opportunities he got last year. If he can be taught how to play defense he could be useful ( I think).

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
  • Gilbert will start when he is at 100% obviously, but in the mean time I bet Smith will be out there to give us veteran leadership along with JA and CV.
  • Depending on how big or aggressive the opponent is, I feel we will see Polley and Diarra flip flopping at the 4 position. But if Polley can defend and get up there on the boards he’ll be the full time starter. Hurley has raved about Polley so far this offseason.
  • I honestly can’t see Wilson getting a spot in the starting lineup since Hurley will most likely run a 3 guard lineup, and Wilson isn’t strong enough yet to go down low, at least against good teams. Still baffles me how he didn’t get stronger over this redshirt year.
  • The center position seems to be a no brainer since Carlton had the most production last year, and there isn’t any new intriguing players to replace. Which reminds me, Yakwe, please be better than large Dave.
So I’ll say this, when we play tournament caliber teams our lineup will be:
PG: Gilbert
SG: Adams
SF: Vital
PF: Polley
C: Carlton

Reaction Score
Adams
Vital
Sid
Diarra
Carlton

Rique comes off the bench all year for 25+ mins a game.

I think any other lineup is unlikely. Maybe smith for vital if he plays better than expected.

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if we see Carlton and Cobb on the floor at the same time very often, if at all.

If Cobb's not out there who will lead the break?

On a little more serious note, reading all these potential lineups makes me think we must have more good players than the outsiders and pundits are giving us credit for.

And, at this time of year, it's easy to get excited about the upcoming season because I can recall some instances when Carlton, Polley and others showed promise last year and I blow those up into 25 to 30 minutes of such performances and see us pulling a 2014 all over again.
Who said we have to be rational in July?

Last edited:

UconnU

Reaction Score
Adams
Gilbert
Wilson
Polley
Carlton
This lineup would put us at a significant rebounding disavantage. I think it's more likely that we try to spread the floor, run the break with a 3 guard 2 true forward lineup rather than using a stretch 4. We will need someone at the 4 who can rebound.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This may be pure fantasy based on these video snippets we've been receiving, but...if Cobb can shoot decently from the perimeter on offense and go to war on the defensive boards, I wouldn't be terribly opposed to seeing him play some 4 from time to time.

Reaction Score
The problem with this is that our guards do not rebound as well as the guards he had last year did.
Vital led the team in rebounds, not a good sign. Would love to see Cobb develop and start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom