Starting Five | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Starting Five

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
His energy is not to be forgotten so in that case I agree, its at least something to work with I agree.

I would play the high energy players (Whaley, Diarra, Williams) until they all literally fouled out. You can always go back to Cobb and Carlton and Polley if you need to, but let's get back to having 50/50 balls stop being 10/90 balls...

Reaction Score
I would play the high energy players (Whaley, Diarra, Williams) until they all literally fouled out. You can always go back to Cobb and Carlton and polley if you need to, but let's get back to having 50/50 balls stop being 10/90 balls...

Yep although I think Carlton is also an energy player but doesn't look at it because he plays slower and methodically. Play him too the ceiling is there for him too.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
It's not a perfect solution Mau by any means but for a team that always comes out flat I'd like to see Mamadou get the start. He has plenty of defensive issues but who doesn't at this point? It can't get worse than the starting 5 we've had recently, unless we like seeing 23-7 deficits.
Given the 47 point first half yesterday, and given the struggles we have on offense even with our "best" players on the floor, Ollie should start the five guys that want to work the hardest on defense. It would be hard to be worse offensively. Whaley is definitely one of them, Vital is another. But with that effort they need to develop some defensive chemistry. Many of the lapses occur because 2 guys don't know what the other is doing, so they cover the same guy. Not only do you need to know what you're supposed to do in PNR and other situations, you also need to know what the other guy is supposed to do.

Reaction Score
Adams, Vital, Mamadou, Larrier, Cobb.

Anderson should spell both guard spots. I never want to see all 3 guards on the floor together. We're not rough enough to pull that off. We need as much size as possible on the floor.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The big question is who among the younger players, that will be here for four years, will be contributors in their later years? Those guys need to see court time, to learn. Polley looks like he could become a 3-and-D guy. Whaley brings energy and length, and has very good hands. Diarra is the hardest worker, and is springy with long arms. Carlton has length and hands, but needs a ton of work on footwork and handling strong defenders, and needs go-to post moves more than just the baseline spin. They all need upper body strength, but even more lower body strength so they don't get moved around.

You only have three guards unless Gilbert returns or you can turn Polley or Larrier into a long 2 (and Larrier doesn't have the handle for it), so two will start, and the third will spell both. Cobb has this year and next, and who knows about Williams, he's in his early 20's already. Onourah? Emergency only.

Again, I want the younger guys and/or the better defenders to see time now. I'm not planning on this team playing in the post-season. So anyone who lolly-gags or hangs their head on the court should be pulled immediately.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Adams, Vital, Larrier, Cobb, Diarra. I’d play Anderson much less. I’d play DO much much less. I’d play Polley more, Whaley about the same and Carlton about the same. Give Williams a few minutes.
Williams was surprising last night. He's not the most skilled guy in the world but he played hard and contributed.

Reaction Score
Williams was surprising last night. He's not the most skilled guy in the world but he played hard and contributed.
He brings hustle. I'd get him minutes just to do that. Of the many things wrong with this team, the general lack of hustle for 50/50 loose balls is the most frustrating to see.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Is Gilbert gone for the year?? or more??

I've only heard that he's working hard to come back this year, but I haven't seen any timetable presented for his return. I have heard rumors that he might need an additional surgery but will try to push it off until the end of the season, but again, I don't have any confirmation on that info...

Reaction Score
A
At this point in the season, we are 7-5 with a few days off before the matchup with Wichita State. Without using the names Gilbert or Wilson, using active players on our current roster, who would you like to see as your starting 5?

I'll wait to hear from a few folks before I post my list...

We have to score quicker and stop digging a hole getting too far behind and always playing catch up. Maybe try playing bigger instead of small ball all the time.. Although, I hesitate from what I've seen of Larriers ball handling, I thought of this starting line up.

1. Adams
2. Larrier
3. Whaley
4. Diarra
5. Carlton

Guards of bench, Anderson 1, Vital, 2
1st big off bench, Cobb, 1, Polley, 2

Some rational:

3 pt. Defense - UCONN ranks 257th in country

Assist to turnover ratio 337th in country.

Get ball into low box more. Give bigs an opportunity to score more instead of throwing it up or forcing lane penetration. This might limit turnovers and open things up for Larrier and Adams as well.

The Question is could Larrier Play the 2 Guard? Positives are his shooting ability, matchups and potential of improving perimeter D. Negatives would be ball handling and
Quickness. If he were getting beat too much you bring in a smaller quicker guard.

I also like the idea of getting young bigs more consistent playing time to gain the necessary experience to get into a position of going from good to great!

Reaction Score
A

We have to score quicker and stop digging a hole getting too far behind and always playing catch up. Maybe try playing bigger instead of small ball all the time.. Although, I hesitate from what I've seen of Larriers ball handling, I thought of this starting line up.

1. Adams
2. Larrier
3. Whaley
4. Diarra
5. Carlton

Some rational:

Get ball into low box more. Give bigs an opportunity to score more instead of throwing it up or forcing lane penetration. This might limit turnovers and open things up for Larrier and Adams as well.

The Question is could Larrier Play the 2 Guard? Positives are his shooting ability, matchups and potential of improving perimeter D. Negatives would be ball handling and
Quickness. If he were getting beat too much you bring in a smaller quicker guard.

I also like the idea of getting young bigs more consistent playing time to gain the necessary experience to get into a position of going from good to great!
Dude, this is a worthy lineup. Our 3 point conversion rate being what it is, and the perimeter driven offense not being that successful, this lineup could affect the game in many different ways. Worth a try for sure. Midrange/ low post scoring and perimeter defense would be necessary for this to work obviously, but I like it. I do see Cobb and Carlton being interchangeable, and the substitution pattern of Vital/Anderson is situational also.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
A

1. Adams
2. Larrier
3. Whaley
4. Diarra
5. Carlton

Some rational:

But I feel like it’s literally a turnover every time we get the ball to a big. Carlton traveling, Cobb hitting Kevin Freeman with a no-look 90 mph behind the back pass or Dave O running through defenders like they’re banners at a homecoming football game.

Reaction Score
But I feel like it’s literally a turnover every time we get the ball to a big. Carlton traveling, Cobb hitting Kevin Freeman with a no-look 90 mph behind the back pass or Dave O running through defenders like they’re banners at a homecoming football game.

LOL funny but so unfortunately true. Like I said, they have to get the playing time in. This may turn into one big exhibition season!
David O seems like a situational player only. I expected more. He's a once and done so I think Ollie should limit his playing time to
give the pups more experience. Doesn't seem to matter either way if he is in the game except for his propensity for fouling. Love to
see him as a Defensive End on the football team!

Reaction Score
Adams, Vital, Larrier, Cobb, Diarra. I’d play Anderson much less. I’d play DO much much less. I’d play Polley more, Whaley about the same and Carlton about the same. Give Williams a few minutes.
Kind of like your lineup but it is hard to start Diarra on a team that has trouble scoring. I'd like to see more of Polly. He looks to have nice stroke even though he hasn't made many. Would also like to see Carlton and Cobb split PT. Carlton seems to have real talent but he isn't going to develop sitting on the bench.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
This isn't a feasible starting 5, but I wish it were, as there's no way we'd get a slow effort start out of these guys:

Adams
Vital
Whaley
Diarra
Williams

With the energy and enthusiasm these other 4 players bring, Adams would be a whole lot less "lethargic". That being said, I know there's no way this lineup really could/should happen.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
This isn't a feasible starting 5, but I wish it were, as there's no way we'd get a slow effort start out of these guys:

Adams
Vital
Whaley
Diarra
Williams

With the energy and enthusiasm these other 4 players bring, Adams would be a whole lot less "lethargic". That being said, I know there's no way this lineup really could/should happen.

Well, we've seen Diarra play the 5 already this year. So I don't see why that line-up would be prohibitive. Yeah, you lose a shooter but you gain high energy on the boards and on defense.

It's not like we are going to nail Larrier to the bench, so I don't see any issues with starting that way...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom