Stanford Ranked #1 in AP Poll | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stanford Ranked #1 in AP Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I know that after reading this board for a few years, but imho, it is sexist.

I refer to them as ladies occasionally, and I've been waiting to get a sexist smack down...remember the Ladies Women's Room?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
For a clue as to how brain dead the voters might be, look at them dropping aTm out. When you lose to 6, 7 and 2, and your ranking was below all of those, you were "supposed" to lose those games.
Ultimately, the rankings have no more meaning than the vote for homecoming king and queen.

Or ranking Oklahoma (#13) above UCLA (#19) even though UCLA defeated Oklahoma in Norman.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Yeah, I know that after reading this board for a few years, but imho, it is sexist.
It is a materialistic/paternalistic expression that sprung from the large blue hair contingent amongst the fanbase, for whom anyone in college is still a kid. The cause of advancing equality for women in contemporary American society has not been unduly hindered. IMHO.

Reaction Score
It is a materialistic/paternalistic expression that sprung from the large blue hair contingent amongst the fanbase, for whom anyone in college is still a kid. The cause of advancing equality for women in contemporary American society has not been unduly hindered. IMHO.

I get that. Do they call the men's team their boys?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

There are times when I refer to the Blue Devil women as girls. Like when i tell a friend that Im going down to Durham to see "my girls"play. I dont consider myself to be that old (born in 1972), and I dont even have children... but ive never considered it to be sexist. And to answer cardfan... yes... I do refer to the Blue Devil men as "my boys" at times.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

I'll jump in here and agree that these girls are "kids" to me given the ever increasing age differentiation between them and myself. However, to be honest it creeps me out to have the girls addressed as "our" girls though I have never mentioned it before. Couldn't say why, I just know that I don't like it, and as a personal choice it is a term I will never use.

I do think of UConn as my team. Just sayin'

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I get that. Do they call the men's team their boys?

The word "boys" would carry a completely different connotation if there are a number of black players. It would scream of racism.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I often say that "I get to see my girl play tonight" in reference to Griner.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm ok with this!

Stanford knocked off the #1 team. It's an early season poll! They deserve it!

Remember its not where you start but where you finish!!!

Besides, gives the ladies something to focus on, beating everyone who gets in their way!

GO UCONN!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Stanford knocked off the number 1 team. UCONN will knock off the number 1 team in December. Duke will get a chance to knock off the number 1 team in January, and if Duke doesn't knock off UCONN, then Baylor will get the chance to knock off the number 1 team in February.

So basically the top 4 teams will all have a chance to claim to be the best team in the land.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Nice to be right once in awhile. However, its not what I believe. I thought voters would reward Stanford for beating unbeatable Baylor and I suspect many didn't know how many minutes Sims played. I also believe Geno is happy his team of young stars aren't ranked #1 this early in the year.
Just because the poll agreed with you doesn't mean you're right. More likely that the poll is wrong given their agreement. The polls are often ridiculous.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
men.
I would have to disagree. I dont consider teenagers men and 20 -22 year olds men. The term girl I still use to this day at the golf course when speaking to female organizaions. I think the term Men Boys Gentlemen, Women Ladies and girls all used with respect are fine. Older women consider it a compliment and like it. I do it with all the due respect it should be given with.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Just because the poll agreed with you doesn't mean you're right. More likely that the poll is wrong given their agreement. The polls are often ridiculous.

If he was predicting the poll, then he was right.

Reaction Score
I was 27 when I had some surgery. As I was coming to in the recovery room, in a great deal of pain, I recall hearing the surgeon (who happened to be Chinese for cultural reference) ask the nurse how much pain meds I had been given. I didn't hear her reply, but I heard his. "Oh, no, she needs more than that, she is not a little girl". I remember being upset, but wasn't sure if I was more upset about being called a girl, or being called fat. Or maybe just that I hadn't been given enough pain meds. Regardless, I have reached the age where being referred to as a girl has a certain charm to it. But, that is just me.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I'll jump in here and agree that these girls are "kids" to me given the ever increasing age differentiation between them and myself. However, to be honest it creeps me out to have the girls addressed as "our" girls though I have never mentioned it before. Couldn't say why, I just know that I don't like it, and as a personal choice it is a term I will never use.

I do think of UConn as my team. Just sayin'
I like your take on this, for a couple of reasons. First I pretty much agree with all of it, except that I'm less inclined to consider them "kids", because they play with so much maturity and their off court behavior is also very mature much of the time. Second, I don't much care for blanket labels of "sexist".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If they are around my daughter's age.....they're girls. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits