Stanford Ranked #1 in AP Poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stanford Ranked #1 in AP Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I may be in the minority but at this point I don't care whether UConn is ranked #1 or not. Come NCAA time next March, yep. Now, not so much.

Reaction Score
Nobody likes a show-off......:p

I know, couldn't help it. ;) On a side note, I'm still showing off that I predicted exactly 332 EC votes for Obama (credit Nate Silver though). Not talking politics, just stats and polls.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
What does that have to do with anything? Last I checked, only five players are allowed on the court at once.

As hard as this may be to believe, I knew that.

Stanford has had better post players the past few years, but with (this year's) Dolson, Stewart, and to a lesser extent Tuck and Stokes, I don't think that's the case any longer. Add in UConn's significant advantage in the backcourt, and I would be shocked if Stanford wins head-to-head.

I didn't express an opinion on whether the UConn posts or Stanford posts are better.

I didn't express an opinion on who would win.

I expressed surprise that you would suggest they no longer have size. What measure are you using?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Huh?

They have eight players 6' 2" or taller. UConn has five. How many teams in the country have more than eight?
How many play?

They start three 6'3" players. And they have two 6'3" coming off the bench.

Uconn starts 6'5" and 6'4' and has 6'3 and 6'2" coming off the bench.

I don't see the big Stanford advantage.

Reaction Score
I didn't express an opinion on whether the UConn posts or Stanford posts are better.

I didn't express an opinion on who would win.

I expressed surprise that you would suggest they no longer have size. What measure are you using?
I think we're arguing different things. And I apologize for the snarkiness - I think this conference realignment stuff is frustrating me more than it should. ;)

I never said Stanford had less size, but rather than it was no longer a big advantage (if it's an advantage at all) like it was the past few years. That's mostly because UConn has better post players now, not because Stanford's are worse.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I may have misread the initial post on this topic. I thought it was talking about Stanford versus everyone, as opposed to Stanford versus UConn only. I'd still be insulted, if I were a Card fan, at the implication that the only reason that Stanford has ever beaten us is post height. I think there's been one or two quality players who contributed more than just inches :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just goes to show how insignificant WCBB is. Not that I care where UCONN is ranked really. Would be nice if there was some intelligence in their voting. But I guess WCBB doesn't deserve that.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I'm glad to hear all the reasons I should be glad about this. I'm surprised and dissappointed...so thanks for the upbeat messages!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How the hell are us west coast people going to argue about an East Coast Bias when Stanford gets #1 in the poll?

Now what do we complain about?
Your lack of National TV coverage? You got what 1 game on ESPN2, a couple on ESPNU?

Reaction Score
I may have misread the initial post on this topic. I thought it was talking about Stanford versus everyone, as opposed to Stanford versus UConn only. I'd still be insulted, if I were a Card fan, at the implication that the only reason that Stanford has ever beaten us is post height. I think there's been one or two quality players who contributed more than just inches :)

Namely Candice Wiggins in Tampa and Jeanette Pohlen at Maples.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What no one argues is that Stanford is a very good team that is very well coached and that come our meeting will gives us a very spirited game that I'm sure Geno will not take lightly.
But of course, if our team develops as anticipated, it could easily be a run-away.
You just can't be completely sure at Stanford, at home.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Stanford got 21 first place votes, Uconn 17, Baylor one. I thought the split between Stanford and Uconn would be reversed. I guess some voters figured Stanford deserved it for now by virtue of beating Baylor and Uconn would have the opportunity to earn the ranking in any event.

Uconn has some high profile games between now and 12/30. This could easily flip flop even before the two teams meet if Uconn dominates. Though UMD's shocking and awful loss to St Joes doesn't help our schedule.

Ultimately, this will be settled on 12/30. Hopefully the girls take this as motivation. Not that they should need additional motivation to play their hardest against Stanford.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
So I guess if number 20 Tenn beats Stanford theyre number 1. How stupid.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Stanford got 21 first place votes, Uconn 17, Baylor one.

Thank you. I was waiting to see if someone would post how close the vote was (If no one did, I was going to do it) - it was close folks. UConn doesn't need to be number 1 to continue to win, and Geno doesn't care so why should we care?

Reaction Score
Stanford got 21 first place votes, Uconn 17, Baylor one. I thought the split between Stanford and Uconn would be reversed. I guess some voters figured Stanford deserved it for now by virtue of beating Baylor and Uconn would have the opportunity to earn the ranking in any event.

Uconn has some high profile games between now and 12/30. This could easily flip flop even before the two teams meet if Uconn dominates. Though UMD's shocking and awful loss to St Joes doesn't help our schedule.

Ultimately, this will be settled on 12/30. Hopefully the girls take this as motivation. Not that they should need additional motivation to play their hardest against Stanford.

Stanford plays at Gonzaga, South Carolina and TN before we play at home vs. UConn.

I'm sure the women from each team will be ready on Dec. 29th.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Stanford plays at Gonzaga, South Carolina and TN before we play at home vs. UConn.

I'm sure the women from each team will be ready on Dec. 29th.
Penn State is now #6. If Uconn destroys them, that could flip a couple of votes. But definitely doesn't really matter until the Uconn and Stanford play.

By the way, it is common in CT to refer to the Huskies as "our girls". It is a term of endearment and not meant to diminish or infantilize the young women who play for this program.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Maybe. On Dec 22 Stanford will try to do something it hasn't done since 1996 and something it has only accomplished once in 12 tries: defeat Tennessee at Thompson Boling Arena. Is this the year?

Reaction Score
Penn State is now #6. If Uconn destroys them, that could flip a couple of votes. But definitely doesn't really matter until the Uconn and Stanford play.

By the way, it is common in CT to refer to the Huskies as "our girls". It is a term of endearment and not meant to diminish or infantilize the young women who play for this program.

Yeah, I know that after reading this board for a few years, but imho, it is sexist.

Reaction Score
For a clue as to how brain dead the voters might be, look at them dropping aTm out. When you lose to 6, 7 and 2, and your ranking was below all of those, you were "supposed" to lose those games.
Ultimately, the rankings have no more meaning than the vote for homecoming king and queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom