STANFORD BEATS BAYLOR............YEAH | Page 2 | The Boneyard

STANFORD BEATS BAYLOR............YEAH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you seriously think Kim gave a single thought about a 90 game win streak? Do you think that at 42 wins Geno was thinking about reaching 90 consecutive wins?
Yes and Yes. That would be an honor Kim would have carried for a long time and we would no longer have the record. However, at 42 games it would have been a long shot to reach 90.

It's a defense mechanism to profess disinterest in the record. Dwelling on it would drive the coaches crazy and is not productive.

To me this is nothing like a Tenn loss to us. We bear (no pun intended) no ill will toward Baylor. We are happy about the loss because our streak is safe and it might boost us in the ratings, not that Baylor lost per se. With Tenn, we just like it when they lose, even if nothing important is at stake.

Also, it's okay for you to be bummed at what happened. Nothing wrong with exulting in the good times and crying during the bad. We understand.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I hate to see a kid get hurt. Baylor is a completely different team without their other AA . Our AA is down now too, but we are functioning. Them...not so much.

A little bit of an overstatement. Losing by 2 points to the # 4 team in the country hardly qualifies as not functioning. Plus, we haven't beaten anyone yet, so let's see.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I hate to see a kid get hurt. Baylor is a completely different team without their other AA . Our AA is down now too, but we are functioning. Them...not so much.
Would UConn be functioning as well vs Stanford? Honestly, I have no idea.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
To me this is nothing like a Tenn loss to us. We bear (no pun intended) no ill will toward Baylor. We are happy about the loss because our streak is safe and it might boost us in the ratings, not that Baylor lost per se. With Tenn, we just like it when they lose, even if nothing important is at stake.

I agree. Our joy is mostly directed at what it means for us.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
You guys should be salivating right now, did you follow the game. First Baylor has some issues, they were exposed in last years final four as I said before the cards do scout teams really well. Stanford used their length to shut down BG in the first half and that was with an 8 to 2 foul count against them, let's hope you can get the game tape. You have the height not many teams can say that and you also have the guards to run at Sims.

And I disagree with Willtal, Ogwumike was in foul trouble this game and the Card was able to still play with them, she was also in foul trouble last year against them and fouled out.

Didn't quit get to follow most of the last 5 as I thought Baylor were putting on more pressure but maybe this year is going to be more fun than we thought.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A little bit of an overstatement. Losing by 2 points to the # 4 team in the country hardly qualifies as not functioning. Plus, we haven't beaten anyone yet, so let's see.
Great minds... :)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Personally, I'm happy for Tara and team but I really wanted the Huskies to be the stopper defending their own streak.

True, that would have been a nice opportunity.

If Sims makes it back healthy and doesn't re-aggravate the hammy, they should still be among the last two standing at the Big Dance when the music stops. Then we'll see if UCONN can be the stopper when it comes to grabbing a seat in that final chair .....;)

Reaction Score
Do you seriously think Kim gave a single thought about a 90 game win streak? Do you think that at 42 wins Geno was thinking about reaching 90 consecutive wins?
Yes, I think Kim has given serious thought to breaking the 90 game win streak. She has an ego as big as Texas, and it is also human nature to want to shoot at a record. Any coach that poses for the camera during a game, as much as she does, wants attention.

Reaction Score
I'm saying that it's just a game. I'd rather win than lose, but it's still just a game. You win some and you lose some. Hopefully you win more than you lose. Did it ruin my day? Not in the least.
If Uconn loses to Baylor, would it ruin my day? You bet it would......You don't coach with a "win some lose some approach". Come on, you can tell us how much it hurt.

Reaction Score
Yes and No. I honestly do believe that Kim was thinking about the 90 game record... and I also think that Kim overthought it. It sounds horrible but I do believe Kim was sitting there thinking, if we go 40-0 this season we will have 80 wins, two undefeated titles, 3 titles overall.... and people will think of me like they think of Geno and Pat. Kim is a young coach..... while she has made a name for herself, she needs to continue to prove herself. Geno put it best a long time ago when he said, anyone can win one national title. You start to prove you are not a fluke when you win a second. Then by the third you show something more. (Of course not a direct quote)

As for Geno, I do not think he cares about the 90-0 or 70-0 record like we the fans do. There were times when he said he wished they would lose so people would stop focusing on that. Geno has proven himself... 7 titles, 4 undefeated seasons, two times going to the Final Four 5 times in a row.

Reaction Score
I'm saying that it's just a game. I'd rather win than lose, but it's still just a game. You win some and you lose some. Hopefully you win more than you lose. Did it ruin my day? Not in the least.
If it is just a game and it does not matter, because you are alive..... and it is good that you are alive by the way...... if it does not matter because it is just a game... why are you constantly complaining about our reaction? If it does not matter, why not ignore our behavior.

Reaction Score
Usually during a say 90 game span a lot of things can happen to derail even the best of teams. That's why a streak of that magnitude is so impressive very difficult to match. Losing a key player like Simms is but one example of what can go wrong. But as many posters on various boards have pointed out- Baylor lacked the depth to be able to sustain key injuries. Take out either Simms or BG and they will lose to a real good team. Stanford is not a super team themselves because thy also lack depth. If they lose CO or if she has a sub-par performance against a good team they are at real risk of a loss themselves. I don't believe that they will go undefeated even in their conference this year. It is also a possible that they might very well be dethroned as Pac12 champs this year. Timing and match-ups are a major influence in most basketball games outcomes.

We're on our way to 144!

Reaction Score
If Uconn loses to Baylor, would it ruin my day? You bet it would......You don't coach with a "win some lose some approach". Come on, you can tell us how much it hurt.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For me I just want UConn to stay healthly, develop and get better. One thing with this UConn team, they will all play alot of minutes because they are all on the same page, with the talent to maintain and build a lead. This will get them the experience they need,especially BB Morgan Kiah and MJ. You saw what happened in the last game with 10 minutes left. Geno went big, thus no point which imo is CD and MJ, and not automatice outside shooters. When CD Bria and KML are in the lineup we have 3 great outside shooter. Its an ariel attack and as Cferraro calls her one machine gun shooter in KML (machine-gun Lewis)

Reaction Score
Sims is a first team all-american and the emotional heart of that team. The poster who was at the game said it all when he compared her to Singletary. They would be a completely different team without her.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If it is just a game and it does not matter, because you are alive..... and it is good that you are alive by the way...... if it does not matter because it is just a game... why are you constantly complaining about our reaction? If it does not matter, why not ignore our behavior.

Not sure the word "constantly" really describes my posts. I'm just saying that losing a game to a very good Stanford team without Sims and a healthy Prince does not concern me. It actually gives the team a nice little tug back to earth.

The streak would not have meant much to me because next year's edition would have been the one to win the record breaking game. If this team had been the one with a chance to break the record it would have been extremely disappointing. I am actually surprised than UCONN fans are not disappointed that UCONN didn't get a chance to break the streak.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think one reason that the loss was nothing more than a bit disappointing was because I had already recognized that UCONN is probably the best team in the nation at this point. I think UCONN could lose Hartley and one of the Big3 freshmen and still beat Stanford. Baylor without Sims and essentially Prince doesn't have the depth to overcome those challenges.

Stanford hit some big shots and they deserve a lot of credit. Baylor went ahead multiple times in the last minutes of the game and Stanford continued to match Baylor's scoring. They earned the win.

But make no doubt, had this happened in New Orleans in April, my disappointment level would have been profoundly greater. Might even drive me to drink a Hurricane or two on Bourbon Street.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No idea of how Sims injury will turn out, but one point to remember - it is much harder to adjust in game to the loss of a key player then it is for a team to make adjustments in practice to deal with that loss. And if Sims misses a few games it could actually make the team stronger in the long term. It doesn't seem that this is a season ending issue, and she may be back next game, but if not next game, then having a few players have to step up in her absence could be a blessing in disguise.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am actually surprised than UCONN fans are not disappointed that UCONN didn't get a chance to break the streak.
Several UConn fans have expressed their disappointment in this thread.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Several UConn fans have expressed their disappointment in this thread.

Sorry, I should have said "more" UCONN fans. UCON will most likely win that game and it would have added even more joy for the UCONN fans to see their own team protect the record.

Reaction Score
It doesn't sting at all. Nearly losing my life to a staph infection last year stung. This is the loss of a basketball game in November. Just interesting to see reactions.
I'm glad you pulled through, ETT - that's some nasty stuff you endured. Best wishes!
As others have mentioned, I think many of us are happy that Stanford won not that Baylor lost. Now, had the Lady Vols lost, then I think many here would be happier with that loss than for the team that beat them (I don't know if you understand what I'm trying to say)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I am actually surprised than UCONN fans are not disappointed that UCONN didn't get a chance to break the streak.

Some are, and have said so. Some are, and have not said so.

Then there are some who find more satisfaction in making streaks, than breaking streaks. ND men are justifiably famous for breaking the UCLA streak, UCLA is justifiably famous for making the streak. I know which team I'd prefer to be.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm glad you pulled through, ETT - that's some nasty stuff you endured. Best wishes!
As others have mentioned, I think many of us are happy that Stanford won not that Baylor lost. Now, had the Lady Vols lost, then I think many here would be happier with that loss than for the team that beat them (I don't know if you understand what I'm trying to say)

I'm with you. I understand what you are saying and it makes perfect sense. UConn may be starting a streak that far outstretches 90 games. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom