STANFORD BEATS BAYLOR............YEAH | The Boneyard

STANFORD BEATS BAYLOR............YEAH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Folks, I know Sims was out, but, a heck of a game by Stanford. Kim is no longer chasing Uconn 90 win streak.............

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Folks, I know Sims was out, but, a heck of a game by Stanford. Kim is no longer chasing Uconn 90 win streak.............

There will be many observers who "excuse" Baylor's loss because Simms was hurt.

Here is some perspective on that deal ----- One of the astounding facts about UConn's 90 game win streak is that they played 90 games without a loss; and they had numerous injuries, and days when half the team was sick with some bug, and days when the refs made some lousy calls against them, and days when key players were in foul trouble etc.; but they still found a way to win. Ninety consecutive times without a hiccup. That is why UConn's record is so deserving of respect. And is so hard to beat.

So, Simms got hurt. Tough luck, Bears. Caroline Doty was a star in the making at UConn when she went down with her ACL. And she missed more than a full season, and has been playing hurt ever since -- when she could play at all.

Simms may miss more than tonight's game. Time will tell. And Baylor will have to be ranked based on their playing with whatever players were/are available to them for each game. Tonight, Stanford won "fair and square." And Baylor lost.

Baylor had one player (an AA to be sure) who was injured for this game; and they couldn't find a way to win. As the hockey players say: "That's the way the puck slides."

And I am going to bed with a big smile on my face. Good job, Stanford.!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Usually during a say 90 game span a lot of things can happen to derail even the best of teams. That's why a streak of that magnitude is so impressive very difficult to match. Losing a key player like Simms is but one example of what can go wrong. But as many posters on various boards have pointed out- Baylor lacked the depth to be able to sustain key injuries. Take out either Simms or BG and they will lose to a real good team. Stanford is not a super team themselves because thy also lack depth. If they lose CO or if she has a sub-par performance against a good team they are at real risk of a loss themselves. I don't believe that they will go undefeated even in their conference this year. It is also a possible that they might very well be dethroned as Pac12 champs this year. Timing and match-ups are a major influence in most basketball games outcomes.

Reaction Score
Stanford loves beating the unbeaten #1's. We know that all too well.

That beings said... Oh how sad, too bad for Baylor. I do not care if they win the title this year because they will not beat UCONN's record. Of course I want our girls to win the title this year, but if Baylor wins it... because they never call fouls on Griner..... I will be okay....

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Now I'm getting a taste of how UT fans feel. I guess Baylor has arrived when a loss brings such joy.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Now I'm getting a taste if how UT fans feel. I guess Baylor has arrived when a loss brings such joy.
It's like night and day - UCONN's fans reaction to a Tennessee loss vs. UCONN's reaction to a Baylor loss. I know it stings now, but give it some time and then come back and read the comments and you will realize I'm right.

Most UCONN fans love seeing Tennessee lose any time, any place. Just read some of the comments by Nancy, and several others, in the thread on that subject to see why.

Seeing Baylor lose - UCONN fans are happy because
  1. It means Baylor won't ever be beating UCONN's 90 game win streak
  2. Many, or most, UCONN fans actually like Stanford
  3. Baylor was formerly the #1 team which means now UCONN is #1
  4. All things being equal, UCONN fans usually root for the underdog
  5. Even without Odyssey, Stanford's game plan showed how to beat one of the best teams in the nation
I was rooting for Stanford so yeah, I was glad to see Baylor go down. But that's a far cry from my reaction to when Tennessee loses. Just ask Tony - on those days, "it feels like Christmas morning"...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Do you seriously think Kim gave a single thought about a 90 game win streak? Do you think that at 42 wins Geno was thinking about reaching 90 consecutive wins?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's like night and day - UCONN's fans reaction to a Tennessee loss vs. UCONN's reaction to a Baylor loss. I know it stings now, but give it some time and then come back and read the comments and you will realize I'm right.

Most UCONN fans love seeing Tennessee lose any time, any place. Just read some of the comments by Nancy, and several others, in the thread on that subject to see why.

Seeing Baylor lose - UCONN fans are happy because
  1. It means Baylor won't ever be beating UCONN's 90 game win streak
  2. Many, or most, UCONN fans actually like Stanford
  3. Baylor was formerly the #1 team which means now UCONN is #1
  4. All things being equal, UCONN fans usually root for the underdog
  5. Even without Odyssey, Stanford's game plan showed how to beat one of the best teams in the nation
I was rooting for Stanford so yeah, I was glad to see Baylor go down. But that's a far cry from my reaction to when Tennessee loses. Just ask Tony - on those days, "it feels like Christmas morning"...

It doesn't sting at all. Nearly losing my life to a staph infection last year stung. This is the loss of a basketball game in November. Just interesting to see reactions.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It doesn't sting at all. Nearly losing my life to a staph infection last year stung. This is the loss of a basketball game in November. Just interesting to see reactions.
Doesn't sting at all? Guess you were rooting for Stanford then. Congrats on the win!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Doesn't sting at all? Guess you were rooting for Stanford then. Congrats on the win!

I'm saying that it's just a game. I'd rather win than lose, but it's still just a game. You win some and you lose some. Hopefully you win more than you lose. Did it ruin my day? Not in the least.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Do you seriously think Kim gave a single thought about a 90 game win streak? Do you think that at 42 wins Geno was thinking about reaching 90 consecutive wins?
He never said Kim was thinking about it. He said she/Baylor is no longer chasing UCONN's win streak. In fact, you ask Geno during the win streak and he'd tell you half the time neither he nor his team knew exactly how many wins in a row it was. The team never discussed it. The fans, on the other hand, discussed it a lot. just like the poster herbiep did.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
He never said Kim was thinking about it. He said she/Baylor is no longer chasing UCONN's win streak. In fact, you ask Geno during the win streak and he'd tell you half the time neither he nor his team knew exactly how many wins in a row it was. The team never discussed it. The fans, on the other hand, discussed it a lot. just like the poster herbiep did.

The word "chasing" implies a conscious effort.

Reaction Score
I was just looking at the ESPN stats and saw that Baylor
committed only 3 turnovers. A remarkably good stat.

On the other hand, only 11 assists on 28 made baskets is
not remarkably good.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Personally, I'm happy for Tara and team but I really wanted the Huskies to be the stopper defending their own streak.

Reaction Score
I'm also happy the streak is ended. However, I still think Baylor is the strong favorite for the national championship. I wonder how it will play out.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We will have to see how the injury to Sims plays out. For a speed and quickness player it could really hamper her game for a long time. It may be slow to heal. If it is a quad injury from impact on Chiney's knee, well, that can be a rupture and is the exact injury that led to the western bear cub red shirting last year. Injury reports after a thorough exam will be very important to Sim's future effectiveness this year.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Over thinking it. The chase is frequently used without conscious thought or intent.

Exactly. Someone, somewhere, will say Brady is chasing Drew Brees' consecutive game with a touchdown streak. I guarantee Brady isn't thinking about it during the game, but that doesn't mean he isn't chasing it.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
How'd you like to be Tenn-Martin today? Baylor & Kim might take out some frustration. The hornet's nest is stirred up.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'm saying that it's just a game. I'd rather win than lose, but it's still just a game. You win some and you lose some. Hopefully you win more than you lose. Did it ruin my day? Not in the least.

More of an *interesting* game to me than any kind of joyful result. But I agree that in general, fans will cheer a little louder when the #1 team goes down. Had they beaten them with Sims on the floor I'd be a lot more impressed.

Reading the poster's account who was at the game, it sounded more like a quad or deep thigh bruise to me, but I see on the Baylor site that they are sticking with the 'hamstring strain' report. If it is the hamstring it could take quite a while to recover. We will see. I am wondering if she will be available for the ND game or even the Tennessee game. Hopefully it's one of those things where the initial pain is not that indicative of the injury's severity.

I always hate to see great teams lose a great player. I want to see what they do at full strength.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Do I think Baylor wouldve won with Simms I think theres a very good chance they wouldve. But that didnt happen. Baylor has not much depth, and poor 3 pt shooters. They depend on Simms and Griner. UConn depends on Geno as they have the depth and they have built a tremendously deep and talented team. UConn is averaging over 100 pts a game with their 2 starting guard pretty much down. UConn won 90 in a row with injuries, and decommits. Yes it has an effect not have your key player in the game and thats what happened to Baylor. Just like it happened to UConn when Svet and Shea went down in the NCAAs and we lost to Stanford, and Kalana and Mel went down, and EDD left. We lost some games some big games. Its part of the game and you have to coach around it and recruit around it. Thats why this season UConn is so good, and theyre proving every game. I think over all Baylor did well without Simms. Madden had a good night and Baylor had I think 3 TOs. Simms has more then that herself. Steals would be a key stat too. Bottom line Baylor lost and UConn is now Number 1 again. Tuff break for Baylor, good break for Stanford but its all in the game. Lets see how Baylor does the next few games and see if this injury to Simms is a problem throughout the year. I think she'll be back, but if the injury lingers it could pose problems down the road for Baylor.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I hate to see a kid get hurt. Baylor is a completely different team without their other AA . Our AA is down now too, but we are functioning. Them...not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom