St. Mary's Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

St. Mary's Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
As Uconn fans , what crime did we commit to have to listen to Antonelli "coach" St marys, as to how to beat Uconn the entire game?

Just go to the games and scream, problem solved. :)

Reaction Score
They do but they get to the rim better than anyone we’ve played. We can’t hard hedge with Sanogo or leave him to guard the rim
Not sure the hard edge works against good guards, it didn't stop SD from getting to the rim until Clingan had them blink. Twice in the second half SD drove to the rim, saw our force then backed out. It was great to see. There are no easy answers to play against our two centers.

Reaction Score
Which I thought was weird. In the first half we didn’t even battle for offensive boards. We retreated off of shots instead of crashing the boards
Agreed, we conceded the offensive boards. Clingan changes that quickly. Would like to see more intensity out of our starters in the first half rather than a feel them out kind of start. Having said that the end results are a masterpiece with our coaches pressing all the right buttons. For teams that haven't played us twice, their coaches must be pulling out their hair.
Saint Mary's guards were great, got in deep and often had a quicker first step. Their problem began when they faced Clingan! It must be great being a guard for UConn when you have that eraser behind you.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Joey has played these guys a bunch of times. I figured that's why he got more of the backup minutes.
Diarra hasn’t been good for a long time. Joey helps us a lot more with the second unit

Reaction Score
That was a very good team. Ducas going out was the turning point in this game. I feel like we dodged a bullet. It's is the kind of luck you sometimes need to survive and advance. But give us credit. We used the luck to step on their throat. We might have won anyway, happy we didn't have to find out.

The good news is that we are winning playing different styles of play. Arkansas will be more like Iona but more athletic. But let's drink for a few days first.
There was no luck at all. We are deeper and have had a second unit that recovered from being down in both these NCAA games. Great coaching adjustments adopted by willing players have produced the winning combinations. Saint Mary's didn't have one player in double figures. When have you seen an opponent with that stat at this level???????? Wake up to WOW when you see it. This performance was not forty (40) minutes of luck.

Reaction Score
Boy, y'all weren't kidding about those cops on the Taconic yesterday! I must've seen no less than 10 round trip with at least 4 people pulled over.

Last night's win made the 2.5 hour drive back home with the cruise control set at 62 a lot more tolerable!

Reaction Score
That’s right; just like losing their best player in the 1st half to a back injury was in the game plan. That is what turned the tide of the game.
Ducas is good but I personally don't even think he's one of their 3 best players, and he's certainly not better than Johnson or Mahaney.

I guess I don't understand the point of coming to a UConn fan forum and trying to downplay their accomplishments in every post you make.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Very happy to be back in the Sweet 16. It’s a huge monkey off Hurley’s back.

But we beat two teams that we were a lot more talented than like we should’ve. I’m happy Hurley did what he was suppose to here.

Next up Arkansas!
Please explain the word "But..." in your post.

Reaction Score
I’ll do it for just tickets, I’ll pay my own airfare. But then again whichever player I’m chaperoning will probably end up not receiving the proper guidance.
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, except hopefully not our title hopes.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I agree, but the gap is EXTREMELY wide with the past two teams we just played.

With Kansas out the only teams left in our bracket that can compete talent wise is UCLA and Gonzaga. But first, Akansas!!!

Aw geez, the word "But" again. What do you mean by that?

FUN FACTS
Only 7 of the top 16 teams in this year's preseason AP Top 25 will be playing in the upcoming Sweet 16.

The West Regional final four consists of preseason #2 Gonzaga, #9 UCLA, #10 Arkansas, and unranked UConn.

On Thursday, UConn begins a four-team, 3-day tournament in Las Vegas.

It's a solid field that includes the 7th, 9th, and 10th Final AP Poll teams.

NET (3/12, Final) rankings: 3rd, 6th, 8th, 21st (w/4 S16 teams ranked lower)

Kenpom (3/19, continuing) rankings: 3rd, 4th, 7th, 18th (w/4 S16 teams ranked lower)

Arkansas defeated the #9 Net & Kenpom team, which was the AP final #4 team, and was tied preseason #5.

Yes, next game is against Arkansas.

One
Game
At
A
Time

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Really nice scout by Luke.

You can see Dan get more confidence on the sideline. He is coaching his team rather than bickering with the refs. I thought Hassan should’ve gotten some more run, but our bigs have been truly special.

I have been as hard in Hurley as anyone, and I truly think he is growing as a coach right before our eyes.

No one will work harder than him over the next 5 days.

Our depth will really take as far as long as we continue to not foul.
The players are in a 'learning & doing' mode, either recognizing or being coached that they do not have to reach in and foul, and they do not have to take rushed, off-balance, moving-away-from-the-basket shots so much.

They are also seeing & acting well in following up on mistakes when they do make them. Beyond the good offensive rebound numbers throughout the season, quick followup baskets or drawn fouls have come after shots that haven't been strong around the rim.

Making the other team work hard for its points and stops will eventually tire a team that isn't as deep or as skilled.

It all starts with defense.

And, yes, our opponents will continually be harder, because they will be teams that are similarly situated: talented, at good strength, playing well as a team, game-tested, responding well to good coaching, and winning.

Reaction Score
Tyler Hansborough said that UCONN is his team. Even said that we would 'Bama in a best of 7.

Reaction Score
We seem to be back to where we were when we were 14-0. Lots of answers, plenty of dominance. While I still have doubts when Sanogo is caught staring or when we can’t buy a 3 and scramble around. However, the ability to right-set the game and the hunger have been constant over recent weeks, exactly when we need them. Maybe they won’t win it all but it’s clear they can. The road seems to be laying out on front of them this year. Let’s take it!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Two straight games pulling away in second half.

Complete dooshbaggery move by St Mary coach pressing with 40 seconds left and down by 15.

Their coach also downplayed UConn before the game, with his comments about "Gonzaga is the toughest school to prepare for offensively" and his comments about Timme being the best big man in the country. That coupled with the pressing at the end of the game when our walk-ons were in settles it for me, this guy is a jerk. I can't wait to listen to the post-game presser on my lunch break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom