St. John's Post Game Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

St. John's Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lol more math. Splendid.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys actually watch basketball or just look at metric sites.
I do both. Clearly you have subjective bias going on. So, please enlighten all of us by specifically letting us know how CFJ would be a major upgrade to our program.

Reaction Score
What was the 5th foul call on Jackson? I know the TV replays kept showing a (weak) possible foul on Karaban but was there something away from the ball Jackson did?
Called him for the off arm here

Real time I thought they called a moving screen on Karaban but this was called Andre’s 5th

Reaction Score
I've noticed that our man defense is TOO tight - players flying past us and getting And 1's, easy mid range floaters/layups and drawing fouls to put them in the bonus and bury at the stripe. It's ridiculous how coach has not recognized this already.

Play a little looser on defense so you cover not only a shooting situation but also to cover yourself from getting smoked by a drive to the hoop.

Still have time coach....

Reaction Score
That’s because outside of Diarra and sometimes Jackson we have very poor on ball defenders and with Hurleys aggressive man D that will create a lot of fouls and plays at the rim.
Diarra isn’t, and has never been, a good on the ball defender. Yes, he is a high effort, in your face, defender on the perimeter. Whom then invariably gets beat off the dribble, trailing his man all the way to the rim. More times than not.

Reaction Score
Ref saw Jackson's non-ball hand out, they thought he pushed the defensive player guarding him into the screener. There was a little contact from Jackson for sure, but this gets called 1% of the time?
I thought it was a clear foul on Jackson.

Reaction Score

Real time I thought they called a moving screen on Karaban but this was called Andre’s 5th

Terrible call, as were many others. For some reason every game we play is against 8, home and away.

Reaction Score
Not sure St. John's is mediocre, but this is 4 losses in a row, and this is probably the worst looking one. Again, time and time again, St. John's players just breezed by defenders and had close up shots or passed to teammate for good shot or got fouled. I thought Diarra was supposed to be our best defender- he got beat as much as the others. On offense, it is too predictable. Usually, double team Sanogo and smother Hawkins gets it done- today, even with Hawkins scoring a ton, no one else except Karaban could contribute anything. We did have some plays where they took it to the rim more which is an improvement, but very discouraging especially the 2nd half. I do like they are experimenting with zones, maybe some combination will start to work. I wonder how many more games in a row we will lose, since the personnel won't change- we have what we have, they try hard, but they seem lost everywhere. Maybe this will be like Kemba's team in 2011 and suddenly they will catch fire, but we don't have anyone close to bringing what Kemba did back then.
Joey did hit 2 threes to end the game. Maybe he’ll warm up.

Reaction Score
Joey did hit 2 threes to end the game. Maybe he’ll warm up.
That might be mental with him and really the whole team‘s shooting from the guards besides Hawkins. Calcaterra hit the 3s where there was no pressure. The game was already over at that point.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I’m begging for one of the Hurley haters to tell me who they think would be a reasonable & attainable replacement
I'm not a hater, but I will premise I wasn't thrilled with the hire and the results thus far, and as far as I'm concerned, results in NCAA success and NBE regular season/tournament bear out that uneasiness.
Firstly, IF UConn was destined to stay in the AAC, he would never recruit in that league as we all found out that fact. There is only one Coach K Sampson and he wont have to worry about it any longer. Being in the NBE opens so many doors versus the days UConn was in the AAC. UConn wouldn't recruit 4* and 5* talent and get invited to PK1 tournaments in the AAC.
There are a boatload of coaches who can do what DH does in game and development without D1 credentials
The guy has yet to prove on any level that he is a good in game coach
At Wagner and URI he simply ended up with better players than the teams in those lower tiered leagues.
In the NBE he is finding it harder to do that and it takes some Xs and Os and the ability to change on a dime - he has shown neither ability.
He obviously doesn't listen to his assistants because no way would Young or Moore not change things up.
We know he isn't going anywhere - but find one better? Hell yeah there are plenty better in game coaches and player developers and the cost could be less than $2.75Million plus per arum
He needs to step up to the plate or we may see that change coming sooner than later, if Benedict has a pair.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Newton and Alleyne combined for 1 point and 1 assist.

Reaction Score
I thought it was a clear foul on Jackson.
There was contact, but Posh was embellishing the push and happened to barrel into a screen, making it look like a bigger push than it was. Was it a foul? Maybe. I don't think he gets around the screen either way so the push was inconsequential, but the rules don't really care about that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm not a hater, but I will premise I wasn't thrilled with the hire and the results thus far, and as far as I'm concerned, results in NCAA success and NBE regular season/tournament bear out that uneasiness.
Firstly, IF UConn was destined to stay in the AAC, he would never recruit in that league as we all found out that fact. There is only one Coach K Sampson and he wont have to worry about it any longer. Being in the NBE opens so many doors versus the days UConn was in the AAC. UConn wouldn't recruit 4* and 5* talent and get invited to PK1 tournaments in the AAC.
There are a boatload of coaches who can do what DH does in game and development without D1 credentials
The guy has yet to prove on any level that he is a good in game coach
At Wagner and URI he simply ended up with better players than the teams in those lower tiered leagues.
In the NBE he is finding it harder to do that and it takes some Xs and Os and the ability to change on a dime - he has shown neither ability.
He obviously doesn't listen to his assistants because no way would Young or Moore not change things up.
We know he isn't going anywhere - but find one better? Hell yeah there are plenty better in game coaches and player developers and the cost could be less than $2.75Million plus per arum
He needs to step up to the plate or we may see that change coming sooner than later, if Benedict has a pair.
Your frequently later-arriving, well-into-the-thread posts are best-regarded as having been composed without the benefit of your having read those of numerous others who have touched on similar points before you, and done so with a greater sense of proportion and awareness of a thread's development than you display.

At times, I read your contributions as parody (even self-parody) generated by AI.

Reaction Score
Can you get ejected after 1 class A technical foul? I didn't think Sanogo had any priors? And think Curbelo same thing. It was Posh/Diarra with the offsetting techs earlier and Soriano/Clingan with the flagrants.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Oh boy, @Hans Sprungfeld. What are we to make of this one!?
I'm gratified to see that @AntG168 laughed on this one. It paired well with @Gurleyman writing "Protons" in the thread where @Kitaman asked for something positive after so distressing a loss.

I thought of Elvis Costello singing, "I used to be disgusted. Now I try to be amused" when trying to relieve myself of the stink that the game-watching experience left on me.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Turning the ball over 21 times + getting only 13 total points from anyone other than Hawkins, Sanogo, and Karaban + giving away 23 (of 37) points at the charity stripe + giving up 85 points total = Recipe For Disaster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've noticed that our man defense is TOO tight - players flying past us and getting And 1's, easy mid range floaters/layups and drawing fouls to put them in the bonus and bury at the stripe. It's ridiculous how coach has not recognized this already.

Play a little looser on defense so you cover not only a shooting situation but also to cover yourself from getting smoked by a drive to the hoop.

Still have time coach....
Our defense is too tight but all NBE opponents defense is even tighter where ball handlers can’t breathe and are making 2 foot passes near half court? More to it than that.

Reaction Score
AJ gets his 5th foul with five minutes and change to go, and Sanogo gets ejected. These are our leaders?
Surprised with Sanogo. With AJ it’s just the captain “leading” like his “leader”. Obnoxious.

Reaction Score
Cole was solid, but heavily flawed. We didn’t win any big games with him outside of Villanova (and that has caveats that has to do with Hurley). So I personally wouldn’t make him the standard of what we should look for at PG. We should be able to do better.

We have Castle coming in. I think it’d be a terrible idea to bring in Hurley’s 3rd transfer PG in 5 years to take playing time away from our top 10 recruit. Just coach and develop your guys instead of running to get ready made players.
There is a lot more available to coaches in the portal in terms of viewing film of what players can do at the collegiate level. Maybe Hurley and team are better at development than evaluating talent? Problem with that is kids don’t want to develop - if they aren’t getting what they want immediately they look to somewhere else to find it.

Reaction Score

That gets called on a regular basis. Maybe not every time but you can’t extend like that. It looked like a push on the defender with his arm extended. It isn’t like it was some phantom call That never gets made. I’ve noticed that gets called much more this year too. Borderline perhaps, but when you have 4 you can’t do dumb stuff.

Reaction Score
That gets called on a regular basis. Maybe not every time but you can’t extend like that. It looked like a push on the defender with his arm extended. It isn’t like it was some phantom call That never gets made. I’ve noticed that gets called much more this year too. Borderline perhaps, but when you have 4 you can’t do dumb stuff.

Yep, by the book it is an offensive foul. Andre didn't make too much contact with Posh imo, but extending the off arm like that will almost always get called. Posh sold the contact on the Karaban screen right after with the head whip, which helped draw more attention to the play

Offensive players can't swing their arms out like that on drives. Andre does have a problem playing over-aggressive in foul trouble. I noticed one time when he had 4 fouls and we missed a shot, he started swiping at the ball in SJU's hands 95 feet from the hoop. Unless you know you're getting that steal, really risky play

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
There is a lot more available to coaches in the portal in terms of viewing film of what players can do at the collegiate level. Maybe Hurley and team are better at development than evaluating talent? Problem with that is kids don’t want to develop - if they aren’t getting what they want immediately they look to somewhere else to find it.
I think that’s a big cop out. Guys who leave are guys who don’t get PT for whatever reason. You can’t develop if you don’t get PT.

Why would they waste their time with a coach who doesn’t invest in them.

Reaction Score
I think that’s a big cop out. Guys who leave are guys who don’t get PT for whatever reason. You can’t develop if you don’t get PT.

Why would they waste their time with a coach who doesn’t invest in them.
Yeah - you’re right. In the age of smart phones, and everyone needing to have everything yesterday, instant gratification isn’t a problem.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah - you’re right. In the age of smart phones, and everyone needing to have everything yesterday, instant gratification isn’t a problem.
Two things can be true at once. It’s hard to believe guys like Richie Springs and Gaffney are unuseable as upperclassmen but freshman Phil Nolan and Terrance Samuels contributed for National Championship teams.

It’s not the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01