St. John's Post Game Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

St. John's Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the team continues this play there will be no tourney.
Let me say this....the Shabazz led 2014 team, the Kemba Walker led 2011 team, the Emeka led 2004 team, and the Khalid El Amin led 1999 team....all of those teams would have made mince meat out of this current NIT destined 2023 St John's team.

Anyone agree?
We have a shooting guard Hawkins but we don’t have guards that are tough and creative scorers. It’s been pointed out plenty and I didn’t buy in until now.

Reaction Score
It’s funny, because since Shabazz, all of our PGs have been “underwhelming.” We got every ounce of RJ’s potential, he just wasn’t big or strong enough.

Maybe we should start trying to develop 4 year PGs instead of transfer fill ins. Castle isn’t gonna be here long enough for us to rely on him long term. We need a back up PG we can develop over time.
I’m not even sure we’ve recruited a pure PG in 5 years with the exception of Diggins. I thought Diggins was going to be huge for us but it appears the step up to college was too much for him. So, we’ve recruited one genuine PG and he was a flop. That’s not a good track record recruiting the most important position on the floor. I feel like Dan just doesn’t appreciate a pure PG in today’s game, which is shocking considering both he and his brother were point guards.

Reaction Score
After this game I felt like Randolph Duke in "Trading Places", laying on a stretcher and crying out to his brother Mortimer, "Where's Dre'? What happened to Dre"?
Aj's been a total non-factor. I think his shooting woes have shaken his confidence, and he just isn't capable of driving to the hoop on offense. He's a one trick pony who's a liability for this team. There's no leadership out on the court, and Hurley is getting exposed on a game to game basis.

Reaction Score
Just so disappointed at the way guys are getting so much worse. We now have only 3 guys who can really score, and the ones who aren’t scoring aren’t giving us anything else. Hawkins had an outlier of a good game to his credit - but truth be told SJU lost focus on him a lot early on defense. Other teams have been locked in on not giving him good looks for the full 40 and SJU took a while to sharpen their defensive focus after he had 16 quick points, and then things got harder for him. He worked hard for another 15, but tightening up the screws was the one adjustment that SJU had to make, and that was basically that.

Karaban has been steady to his credit. There will be freshman wall games where his shots don’t go, but he’s been pretty reliable - but his points should be a bonus not a necessity.

Sanogo still takes so damn long to decide what he wants to do that the offense bogs down. He has a lot in his arsenal, and sometimes a deliberate approach makes sense - but everyone knows that approach now, and they just wait to bring the double until late in his move and then he’s off balance and the accuracy of his passing is poor, resulting in us trying to salvage something late in the shot clock when we aren’t in an offensive set. They always say that raw post players need to develop a go to move and a counter. Sanogo isn’t raw but in a backwards way he needs a ”counter move” where he just simply goes right into his attack off the catch in the deep post and doesn’t wait to survey the landscape. Make teams come with the double sooner if that’s their plan and we don’t kill the shot clock waiting for him to solve quadratic equations.

I mean, his stats look ok today - but he got two of his buckets just cleaning up under the rim after his teammates scrapped and kept offensive rebounds alive (and he tipped in a wild Diarra miss). Those points count the same as any others, but ideally you want your POY to not just be a garbageman looking for scraps. You want him making plays - for himself and others.

We can’t put a team out there right now with five guys who can competently put the ball in the basket, the way the teams ahead of us can. But we've hit a point where we are lucky to have a day when we even have four.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah because CFJ has made such an impact lol.

He’s better than alleyne.

There was a reason Hurley recruited him. Are you saying Hurley can’t recruit?

Reaction Score
He’s better than alleyne.

There was a reason Hurley recruited him. Are you saying Hurley can’t recruit?
Is he? CFJ is playing 7 minutes per game and averaging under 2 points a game and he has a PER of 1.9. Pretty underwhelming to me. Alleyne has a PER of 3.5 so while not a star player, it's hard to argue CFJ is a better player than Alleyne.

And just stop twisting other aspects into your post by trying to bait with the question of recruiting. Not pertinent. Stick to your argument, which is shaky at best.

Reaction Score
Alleyne has regressed. We need him to play “normal” basketball. We’d be much better. He’s a tough defender and he can get to the basket. Newton has regressed as well. You have to question why two guys that were good players elsewhere now suck.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Sanogo still takes so damn long to decide what he wants to do that the offense bogs down. He has a lot in his arsenal, and sometimes a deliberate approach makes sense - but everyone knows that approach now, and they just wait to bring the double until late in his move and then he’s off balance and the accuracy of his passing is poor, resulting in us trying to salvage something late in the shot clock when we aren’t in an offensive set. They always say that raw post players need to develop a go to move and a counter. Sanogo isn’t raw but in a backwards way he needs a ”counter move” where he just simply goes right into his attack off the catch in the deep post and doesn’t wait to survey the landscape. Make teams come with the double sooner if that’s their plan and we don’t kill the shot clock waiting for him to solve quadratic equations.
This all day, couldn't have said it any better. He needs to be way more decisive on the block.

Reaction Score
There seems to be many different explanations for the recent losses. They can’t all be right. Which one do you see pop up the most? Maybe a little levity to the situation

Reaction Score
I’m begging for one of the Hurley haters to tell me who they think would be a reasonable & attainable replacement
Hurley is getting dunked on right now during a rough stretch in the season. This team, like most, is generally not as high as some would have them at times and not as low as it looks right now. Same for Hurley.

However, Hurley came from a mid-level A-10 school. This isn't Calhoun we are talking about. There are other guys out there. But this is crazy talk. Hurley isn't going anywhere. But if he were, there are others at his level.

Reaction Score
Three to four of our players can and do shoot. We field nine players regularly. The opposition only has to guard three of the five on the floor. Those three starters all scored in double figures.
Saint John's had six players in double figures, excellent distribution. Go figure won and didn't have to make more than 15% of their three point shots. We even knew this ahead of the game.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Is he? CFJ is playing 7 minutes per game and averaging under 2 points a game and he has a PER of 1.9. Pretty underwhelming to me. Alleyne has a PER of 3.5 so while not a star player, it's hard to argue CFJ is a better player than Alleyne.

And just stop twisting other aspects into your post by trying to bait with the question of recruiting. Not pertinent. Stick to your argument, which is shaky at best.

Lol more math. Splendid.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys actually watch basketball or just look at metric sites.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Lol more math. Splendid.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys actually watch basketball or just look at metric sites.
For real.

You guys need to watch the games. Alleyne can’t even dribble, let alone hit open shots. Delete KenPom off your favorites. This team is going south quick and needs to turn it around. We might be Top 10 in KenPom but we’re failing the eye test.

Reaction Score
Hurley is getting dunked on right now during a rough stretch in the season. This team, like most, is generally not as high as some would have them at times and not as low as it looks right now. Same for Hurley.

However, Hurley came from a mid-level A-10 school. This isn't Calhoun we are talking about. There are other guys out there. But this is crazy talk. Hurley isn't going anywhere. But if he were, there are others at his level.
You're right, he isn't going anywhere but if we get knocked out in the Big East tournament and lose right away in the big dance again. An O'fer in his first 5 seasons would be pathetic so let's hope it doesn't happen. If it does he gets next season because of his huge recruiting class but all the pressure in the world will be on him to win with that squad next year and there won't be any room left for excuses. A lot of pressure on him this season and he looks lost right now as the team is badly regressing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I’m begging for one of the Hurley haters to tell me who they think would be a reasonable & attainable replacement

I have one. He is available right now and has a Natty ring on his finger. You aren't going to like it though.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I have one. He is available right now and has a Natty ring on his finger. You aren't going to like it though.
Go On Popcorn GIF

Reaction Score
I guess we have learned how our team was going to react to being punched in the mouth.

1-3 last 4 games including the joke of a performance today gives the answer.

They need to get up off the floor and stand up and fight for it

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I guess we have learned how our team was going to react to being punched in the mouth.

1-3 last 4 games including the joke of a performance today gives the answer.

They need to get up off the floor and stand up and fight for it

1-4 in last 5, if that is any help.

Reaction Score
What was the 5th foul call on Jackson? I know the TV replays kept showing a (weak) possible foul on Karaban but was there something away from the ball Jackson did?

Reaction Score
What was the 5th foul call on Jackson? I know the TV replays kept showing a (weak) possible foul on Karaban but was there something away from the ball Jackson did?
Ref saw Jackson's non-ball hand out, they thought he pushed the defensive player guarding him into the screener. There was a little contact from Jackson for sure, but this gets called 1% of the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom