St. John's Grad Transfer - Darien Williams Considering UConn > Landed @ Nevada | Page 2 | The Boneyard

St. John's Grad Transfer - Darien Williams Considering UConn > Landed @ Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
The strength of our team is gonna be three guards and Larrier. The five spot can be filled with a rotating committee of guys. We need to fill the middle and back of our roster. I think we're forgetting a key word- "serviceable ". That's the term used when you don't have a 5 star big man. Everyone say this on three, ... 1. 2. 3. "Serviceable Comittee"!!!!!!!!.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
1) We're reaching out to multiple better grad transfer bigs with better numbers than his. It's not as if we're desperate enough to put all of our eggs in this basket.
2) I think the options we have currently look better than he does (says more about him than it does about them, but still).

I know you guys are secretly hoping he does end up playing a bigger role than 12th or 13th man, because then you can say "See? I told you so! KO can't put together a team, time to cut the cord!"
Like who? From what it sounds like, this is the only player who has a visit pending to UConn. Obviously KO is making calls, but this looks like the only player picking up.

Reaction Score
The strength of our team is gonna be three guards and Larrier. The five spot can be filled with a rotating committee of guys. We need to fill the middle and back of our roster. I think we're forgetting a key word- "serviceable ". That's the term used when you don't have a 5 star big man. Everyone say this on three, ... 1. 2. 3. "Serviceable Comittee"!!!!!!!!.

I agree we need all the bodies we can get this point, so I'm not against signing him. But I was hoping KO would have a little better plan than this.

We are losing two Top 50 big men and are potentially replacing them with a guy who averaged 3 and 3 for a crappy St. John's team.

There is a pretty big gap between 5 star big man and this guy.

Reaction Score
1) We're reaching out to multiple better grad transfer bigs with better numbers than his. It's not as if we're desperate enough to put all of our eggs in this basket.
2) I think the options we have currently look better than he does (says more about him than it does about them, but still).

I know you guys are secretly hoping he does end up playing a bigger role than 12th or 13th man, because then you can say "See? I told you so! KO can't put together a team, time to cut the cord!"
Insufferable post

Reaction Score
I agree we need all the bodies we can get this point, so I'm not against signing him. But I was hoping KO would have a little better plan than this.

We are losing two Top 50 big men and are potentially replacing them with a guy who averaged 3 and 3 for a crappy St. John's team.

Neither of the bigs we are losing were top 50. Rankings aside, Steve/Juwan combined for 20 minutes a game this year and contributed 5 points and 4 rebounds with sub 50% shooting. I don't see why guys like Williams and Cobb couldn't surpass that kind of production easily.

pj

Reaction Score

There is no better plan. We can potentially recruit top 50 replacements in the 2018 class. There are no top 50 players available in the 2017 class, except Tremont Waters who is a guard. This is a great bridge to 2018. Hope we get him.

The fact is, Darien Williams would likely contribute more next year than Steve Enoch or Juwan Durham would have. So no reason to scorn this, if you wouldn't have scorned Steve or Juwan.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score

We lost top 50 guys but did they live up to their rankings?
Neither of the bigs we are losing were top 50. Rankings aside, Steve/Juwan combined for 20 minutes a game this year and contributed 5 points and 4 rebounds with sub 50% shooting. I don't see why guys like Williams and Cobb couldn't surpass that kind of production easily.
I don't think we'll get or even need a top big man if we're going to be a three guard / stretch four team.

Reaction Score
QUOTE="UConnStats, post: 2150909, member: 5842"]72% from the line. Solid rebounder. Foul prone. He can give you 10-15 decent minutes in the frontcourt. Can't hurt to take him.[/QUOTE]

IMG_0427.JPG
[

Together with Cobb may bring us some of the toughness, underneath that Ollie is looking for.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
We lost top 50 guys but did they live up to their rankings?

I don't think we'll get or even need a top big man if we're going to be a three guard / stretch four team.
We don't need a top big man, but we need someone (or 2) who can hold their own. We haven't really had that since Drummond. And I don't think that will change much as our roster is currently constituted.
We can't continue to get killed down low, especially since many teams in the AAC build their team around big, physical guys.

Reaction Score
There is no better plan. We can potentially recruit top 50 replacements in the 2018 class. There are no top 50 players available in the 2017 class, except Tremont Waters who is a guard. This is a great bridge to 2018. Hope we get him.

The fact is, Darien Williams would likely contribute more next year than Steve Enoch or Juwan Durham would have. So no reason to scorn this, if you wouldn't have scorned Steve or Juwan.

The better plan would to be to actually develop and get something out of your target recruits so that they don't leave or get "run off" (depending on who you believe) and leave the program scrambling.

Reaction Score

I think Durham will ultimately become a pretty good college player after sitting out a year. As far as Enoch, who knows how he will develop? He certainly has the right frame to become an impact player if he works hard enough.

pj

Reaction Score
I think Durham will ultimately become a pretty good college player after sitting out a year. As far as Enoch, who knows how he will develop? He certainly has the right frame to become an impact player if he works hard enough.

If.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
And it's constant. KO is above any and all criticism according to this fool.

The board deserves a counterweight to the constant lunacy you and your crew post. People who don't think KO should be fired are "snowflakes" in a "ladies club"...KO forgot how to coach because of his divorce...KO is killing the program by being too harsh and critical of players when it's board gospel that one of the main components of JC's success was giving players tough love...

It would be a lot easier to criticize KO on his merits if people stuck to actual things he's done and has control over. I've seen so much ridiculous crap on this board lately I have no intention of giving you the benefit of the doubt. People are pissed at him for not rescinding Gilbert's NLI after the first shoulder injury last April. They also think that the template message the AAC sent out welcoming WSU which the intern who runs the MBB Twitter account plastered over a picture of KO was actually a Bob Diaco-like rant. I can't reason with you people. It's not my fault that you were so emotionally unequipped to handle last season that you shovel the blame for all problems, real, and imaginary, at his feet.

Reaction Score
The board deserves a counterweight to the constant lunacy you and your crew post. People who don't think KO should be fired are "snowflakes" in a "ladies club"...KO forgot how to coach because of his divorce...KO is killing the program by being too harsh and critical of players when it's board gospel that one of the main components of JC's success was giving players tough love...

It would be a lot easier to criticize KO on his merits if people stuck to actual things he's done and has control over. I've seen so much ridiculous crap on this board lately I have no intention of giving you the benefit of the doubt. People are pissed at him for not rescinding Gilbert's NLI after the first shoulder injury last April. They also think that the template message the AAC sent out welcoming WSU which the intern who runs the MBB Twitter account plastered over a picture of KO was actually a Bob Diaco-like rant. I can't reason with you people. It's not my fault that you were so emotionally unequipped to handle last season that you shovel the blame for all problems, real, and imaginary, at his feet.

Don't always agree with you but on this you are spot on. KO can be my coach any day. He has a standard. JC's hand picked successor. I'm good. Like Geno, with KO you gotta have the right engine along with talent. The guys that left will be replaced with amped up motivated players. You can count on it. Not giving up on this great coach.

Reaction Score
QUOTE="UConnStats, post: 2150909, member: 5842"]72% from the line. Solid rebounder. Foul prone. He can give you 10-15 decent minutes in the frontcourt. Can't hurt to take him.

View attachment 21605 [

Together with Cobb may bring us some of the toughness, underneath that Ollie is looking for.[/QUOTE]
He's exactly what we need.. a serviceable body in the frontcourt.. Give us some rebounding, and fouls to give... Work hard and surprise everybody with more than 3 points a game....

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Don't always agree with you but on this you are spot on. KO can be my coach any day. He has a standard. JC's hand picked successor. I'm good. Like Geno, with KO you gotta have the right engine along with talent. The guys that left will be replaced with amped up motivated players. You can count on it. Not giving up on this great coach.

And I do think there are aspects of KO as a coach that I'm disappointed in, and that he need to improve on -- a couple of which are absolutely vital. But I think that this board on the whole is way too eager to can him. People wanted him fired midseason in February of 2015. Some wanted him gone right after the Wagner game. I wasn't on this board during his championship season, but I've heard that there were calls for his head that year as well. I don't begrudge him for not starting his career at the same level as a 40-year HOFer who is in my mind the greatest basketball coach of all time.

Reaction Score
We have been most successful and won our championships with a fantastic back-court and great upperclassmen leadership. All we really need are big bodies/tough guys in the front-court. This young man seems to fit the bill. I'm in.

Reaction Score
QUOTE="UConnStats, post: 2150909, member: 5842"]72% from the line. Solid rebounder. Foul prone. He can give you 10-15 decent minutes in the frontcourt. Can't hurt to take him.

View attachment 21605 [

Together with Cobb may bring us some of the toughness, underneath that Ollie is looking for.[/QUOTE]

Is that an actual box out? Forgot what one looks like

Reaction Score
Not too excited to go from Durham and Enoch to Cobb and Williams. I'm fine with one of them but let's try to find a center with a semblance of an offensive game or at least playing closer to 30 minutes per game. I would rather have the Kanter brother than these reaches.

Reaction Score

I see KO's strengths and weaknesses for what they actually are. I thought he did an excellent job in both 2012-13 and in 2013-14. However, over the past 3 seasons, the team is rarely ranked, never contends for the AAC regular season title, has lost to many mediocre opponents, falls behind by double digits in the first half of many games, struggles offensively, and has won a total of one NCAA tournament game and zero NIT games in that span. That gives me plenty of reasons to question whether KO is the right guy to lead the team going forward.

I would love to hear real reasons for optimism for next season.

Reaction Score

People do this all the time!!!! And you still call them out and label them a hater. Any post that has even the slightest degree of negativity, you see as unwarranted bashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom