Spring Practice 2019 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Spring Practice 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Thompkins is going to be a HUGE addition. He brings experience AND talent/speed. I like the 1-2 punch comment about them. Different skill sets I think that will compliment one another. Think the 1-2 punch of the Carolina Panthers from a decade ago, Deangelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart.

Reaction Score
I’ve given up deciphering anything from the spring. What appears to be encouraging may not be so. It’s like playing tackle football in the backyard against your little brother and thinking your Jerome Bettis.

Reaction Score

The Putterman version: Meet Art Thompkins, the running back transfer who could hold the key to UConn’s 2019 offense

>>One of the most eye-catching players in the UConn practices open to the media so far this spring has been Art Thompkins, a speedy transfer from Toledo who figures to team with Mensah in the fall in what could be a dangerous two-man attack.

“We complement each other a lot,” Thompkins said of himself and Mensah. “He has a lot of power and speed, and I’m more of a shifty guy and a receiver out of the backfield as well. So we do a lot of different things, but we also are both just trying to be great and work each other every day.”<<

Reaction Score
I’ve given up deciphering anything from the spring. What appears to be encouraging may not be so. It’s like playing tackle football in the backyard against your little brother and thinking your Jerome Bettis.

Frankly, this is a realization many of us should have come to years ago. There's a reason we often look good in practice ... and less so in games. Rebuilding depth and talent and speed so that practice is more like games is optimal.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So Thompkins fills the role we had hoped Arkeel could have filled while he was here?

Reaction Score
Reading about the running game it’s hard not to be excited. Could set up passing game and take pressure off qb. I dream of play action and a wide open tight end running to daylight. . . until I realize we don’t have a tight end.
Jay Rose is a good athlete.

Reaction Score
Frankly, this is a realization many of us should have come to years ago. There's a reason we often look good in practice ... and less so in games. Rebuilding depth and talent and speed so that practice is more like games is optimal.
I think its more that we like to see the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome.

Reaction Score
Yeah, in hindsight it looks stupid but every year there are teams that actually improve. We’ve just stuck in a downward spiral. Constantly getting beaten down obviously takes its toll, but I think it’s natural as fans to cling to any hope we can find.

Reaction Score
That and awful head coaches.

Reaction Score
I expect a big improvement from last year to this year.. with Spanos and our new strength and conditioning coaches, Tompkins and the other grad transfers coming in, Beaudry giving the QBs some competition plus consistency on the OL with the same group going on year 3 makes me feel we will be much better.
The freshman are now sophomores and have game experience under their belt which will help.
The only position I’m worried on is linebacker. Don’t know who’s stepping into that role.. unless it’s someone not here yet..
You all complaining how we are going to be the same or worse at 0-12 are just looking at the glass half empty.. you need to look at the positive changes HCRE has made from last year to this year which I feel will project on to the field in September. I’m sick of the negative energy this board has taken.
We will def be better this year.. you can mark my words.

Reaction Score
RB Coach:

We keep seeing Andre Dixon at practice. Does he have some role with the team? Where does he live and what does he do for a living if he's not on the staff? Great to have him around because every time I see him I think of how he won the ND game, in spite of having to do it three times!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

Giufre should get a sidegig at the Funny Bone in Manchester. He has some good one liners. I get a good feeling about him running this offense.

Reaction Score
Fuller: Hamden’s Kyle Williams eager to contribute for UConn

>>With one season remaining Williams has three tackles to his credit, but if the events transpiring during UConn’s spring practice serve as a peek into the future, Williams could see more time in the defensive backfield in the 2019 season.

Williams spent the early part of spring drills getting work with the first team and seeing time with the top group when five or six defensive backs were on the field.

“I got reps at the corner and the dime package so I am just trying to show my worth at either position so when the season comes I will be able to be ready and contribute,” Williams said.<<

Reaction Score
Putterman: Fresh group of UConn pass-catchers seeks to fill void in Huskies offense

>>Asked Thursday about the progress of the team’s receivers, Edsall singled out Maurisseau (as well as redshirt freshman Elijah Jeffreys) as a player who had impressed him. “Heron has made good improvement this spring,” Edsall said. “He seems to be playing faster, playing with more confidence, catching the ball better.”<<

>>With spring practice ending Friday, Edsall offered an assessment of his two quarterbacks, as well as some advice.

On sophomore Marvin Washington, who practiced with the first team throughout the spring: “He’s improved, but he’s got to work on everything. The biggest thing is, you start to see a little bit of maturation with him. He’s got a long way to go, but at least he’s going in the right direction.”

And on redshirt freshman Steven Krajewski: “To me, Steven’s gotta get more confident in himself. He’s gotta learn to enjoy the moment. His body language has got to get better. He never looks like he’s happy. He’s got the ability to do things, but he’s just got to learn to relax and just let it happen. Put the time and effort in to prepare, then go out and have confidence that you’re going to do it. Not be uptight and think you have to do it.”<<

Reaction Score
For those of us who hoped Krajewski was the answer this is not really an encouraging quote. Ugh.

Reaction Score
Putterman: Fresh group of UConn pass-catchers seeks to fill void in Huskies offense

>>Asked Thursday about the progress of the team’s receivers, Edsall singled out Maurisseau (as well as redshirt freshman Elijah Jeffreys) as a player who had impressed him. “Heron has made good improvement this spring,” Edsall said. “He seems to be playing faster, playing with more confidence, catching the ball better.”<<

>>With spring practice ending Friday, Edsall offered an assessment of his two quarterbacks, as well as some advice.

On sophomore Marvin Washington, who practiced with the first team throughout the spring: “He’s improved, but he’s got to work on everything. The biggest thing is, you start to see a little bit of maturation with him. He’s got a long way to go, but at least he’s going in the right direction.”

And on redshirt freshman Steven Krajewski: “To me, Steven’s gotta get more confident in himself. He’s gotta learn to enjoy the moment. His body language has got to get better. He never looks like he’s happy. He’s got the ability to do things, but he’s just got to learn to relax and just let it happen. Put the time and effort in to prepare, then go out and have confidence that you’re going to do it. Not be uptight and think you have to do it.”<<

Lets get Russia's rhythm gymnastics coach as a consultant, those chicks are always smiling and looking like they're having a good time. Good that HCRE2.0 zeros in on all the key attributes of a QB, he must remember what it took to guard the bench when he played for the Fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom