Spring Practice 2019 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Spring Practice 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I know I can find him on the roster, but who the heck is Kyle Williams? 5'7" 174 lbs? Walk on?
A WO that has been on the squad for at least two seasons. Got some playing time last spring before the freshman class arrived in August. I think played a but during the regular season last year too.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Tyler Coyle catches new coordinator’s eye; Travis Jones slims down, speeds up

>>Coyle has long been one of UConn’s most promising players, an uber-athletic safety who hits hard, runs fast and leaps high. But three years into his college career, the fourth-year junior from Windsor High has yet to fully harness his skills and become a dependable anchor of the Huskies’ defense.

It seemed like a good sign, therefore, when new defensive coordinator Lou Spanos singled out Coyle last week as a player who had impressed him so far this spring. “TC is showing up,” Spanos said. “He’s doing a good job.”<<

>>No UConn player seemed to transform physically between November and February as much as defensive tackle Travis Jones. After playing last season at 350 pounds, the sophomore from New Haven showed up at spring practice with considerably less girth. On Thursday, he said he’s down to 328, thanks to a combination of diet and conditioning.

>>Since Jones arrived in Storrs last summer, coaches have said he’s surprisingly agile for a player of his size. Now, he said, he feels quicker than ever.<<

Finally some news that will make my undefeated prediction EASIER!

Reaction Score
Fuller UConn offensive lineman Nino Leone excited to be in the center of things (update on Rose @ TE and injuries in link)

>>A shoulder injury sidelined Nino Leone during the 15 UConn spring practices a year ago. It’s safe to say that junior offensive lineman is making up for lost time at this year’s spring camp. After starting all 12 games at guard during the 2018 season, Leone has moved over to center to replace Ryan Crozier, who started 27 times at center over the last three seasons.

“It’s been a fun experience,” Leone said. “This is the first time playing the position and I’m just getting used to switching the stance very slightly. It’s a larger role making calls and making sure everything is being communicated on the line. It hasn’t been much of a challenge in studying it. I am familiar with the plays, but it is interesting to see how you impact everybody else on the line and how people rely on you more. I am glad to take on this spot to help out.”<<

>>The emergence of redshirt freshman guard Christian Haynes gives UConn a chance to play Leone at center and get its best five offensive linemen on the field together. Haynes had one of the most memorable plays in Thursday’s practice as he had a pancake block against 280-pound defensive tackle Caleb Thomas. <<

>>True freshman defensive lineman Eric Watts continues to work with the starters while senior Kyle Williams, a former Hamden Hall star, is currently starting at cornerback. <<

Reaction Score
I like that Andre Dixon cameo at the end!
I noticed the same thing. A guy that battled through adversity and some of his own troubles while at UConn but really left his mark for sure. Never hurts to have guys like him around the program.

Reaction Score
Travis Jones dropping weight is going to be a big plus for the team but also his future. Watching some NFL combine today he really helped getting his body right for being an impact player on defense. You could see his potential last year but his size prevented him from making more plays. Think Donald, Wilkins, Lawrence. It is the quickness that pays off. Watts stood out on tape and he could be a solid player this year. On defense we will be better I have no doubt. Watching Leone last year I thought he was our best O-lineman. Learning to play center could be a good career move for him as well.

Reaction Score
Travis Jones dropping weight is going to be a big plus for the team but also his future. Watching some NFL combine today he really helped getting his body right for being an impact player on defense. You could see his potential last year but his size prevented him from making more plays. Think Donald, Wilkins, Lawrence. It is the quickness that pays off. Watts stood out on tape and he could be a solid player this year. On defense we will be better I have no doubt. Watching Leone last year I thought he was our best O-lineman. Learning to play center could be a good career move for him as well.
I would also be interested to see if Ryan Fines could drop some weight and become the player he was supposed to be out of high school. All those P5 offers must have meant he had something back then. He was a gigantic disappointment last year, clearly overweight. If he could drop 30 lbm and develop a little quickness, he might become a surprising force.

Reaction Score
If you get too big you become a blocking dummy for the O- lineman. Fines needs to make this change as well. D tackle does not mean slow in today's game.

Reaction Score
MIssed this Ostrout piece the other day: UConn football's new defensive coordinator is making a fiery impression early

>>He has only been on the job here just over a month and the Huskies are only half-way through their allotment of spring practices, but Spanos is already making an impression on the UConn defenders. That’s no doubt in part because Spanos is a little fiery on the practice field.

“A little?” safety Tyler Coyle, the junior from Windsor, said in mock surprise. “He’ll get you going in the morning, now.”<<

>>“Obviously I didn’t control last year. What we’re doing right now is focusing on our technique, our alignments, communication, just fundamental football,” Spanos said. “We’re trying to move the line of scrimmage back, tackling, and getting opportunities at the ball.”

As for his style of coaching, Spanos dismisses the notion that it is contrived or unique. He’s just being himself. “People make labels. All I know is I’ve worked with a lot of good coaches and I have my own identity. I really just coach the way that I would like to be coached,” Spanos said. “You just have to be yourself and make sure the players understand what you want to do and they apply it, and also they have to have fun.”<<

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
As for his style of coaching, Spanos dismisses the notion that it is contrived or unique. He’s just being himself. “People make labels. All I know is I’ve worked with a lot of good coaches and I have my own identity. I really just coach the way that I would like to be coached,” Spanos said. “You just have to be yourself and make sure the players understand what you want to do and they apply it, and also they have to have fun.”
Please let this man do his job Randy. Stay away and keep your hands out of it. I know you feel the need to take control of everything but trust your coordinators!!

Reaction Score
Best peek yet of Spring practice. Love watching these guys lock up and see who moves who. That's football :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom