Sportscenter obsession with pro wrestling | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sportscenter obsession with pro wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the linked article, I'm referring to this Glenn Jacobs.

Glenn Jacobs, senior coordinating producer of ESPN’s New & Next Group (a 25-30-person group that focuses on new content plays for the company), said his staff has spent a lot of time researching what ESPN viewers are paying attention to on social media. They found that ESPN viewers are very interested in WWE content. For example: Last Monday’s WWE Raw, which airs on USA Network, was the most-talked about topic among SportsCenter’s nearly 26 million Twitter followers (The ESPN researchers look at hashtags and key words). WWE content, in fact, drew three times as many as mentions as the second-most talked about topic that night: LeBron James. Jacobs said WWE Raw has been a top five talked-about topic over the last five weeks among SportsCenter followers on Twitter and a top 10 topic for 15 straight weeks.

Here's his full bio from ESPN. He graduated from Rockville High in 1988 (Same year and school as Mike Ferrell from football recruiting sites).

Glenn Jacobs - ESPN MediaZone

Ah, I was wrong. Weird though as that is the real name of the wrestler Kane.

88 grad of Rockville huh? If you played football there you just missed getting embarrassed by my squad in the state title game. Romanowski wasted a lot of dough buying that team turf shoes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ah, I was wrong. Weird though as that is the real name of the wrestler Kane.

88 grad of Rockville huh? If you played football there you just missed getting embarrassed by my squad in the state title game. Romanowski wasted a lot of dough buying that team turf shoes.

I wasn't on the football team. Also, I believe many of those shoes were donated to Romo from fellow teammates on the 49'ers at the time. Amazingly enough even in the 1980's it wasn't the shoes (said in you best Mars Blackmon voice).

mars-blackmon-gotta-be-the-shoes-air-jordan.jpg

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This is my go to YouTube clip whenever I am having a rough day.

1) Jesse Ventura was greatest color guy in history ( loved Heenan though too)
2) at the very end there is a insanely dangerous blown spot as hogan throws hebner over top rope . He actually threw him over the heads of Virgil and DiBiase lucky there wasn't a serious injury.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The Kane version of Glenn Jacobs probably could run a large company when he retires from the ring. Hell, he runs his own insurance company right now while still being on the road full time. He's incredibly bright. Funny that they have the same name.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Personally I don't find it entertaining at all and have never watched. But it does require a ton of athletic ability and there's a huge fan base who is interested

I agree that they're athletes but I don't get why anyone over 7 is into it. It's like a grown man still really being into Santa.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
My grandfather was a huge fan, but pro wrestling was quite a bit different in his day.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
ESPN in the early days carried wrestling programs regularly.

Reaction Score
whatever. it's no worse than what they normally do

plus wrestlemania is still fun after all these years

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's all over ESPN.com as well.

I'm guessing ESPN has a stake in it somehow - that's how things become news there.

No one, but no one, but no one gives a tenth of a s--- about the X-games, but since ESPN owns it, they treat it like a real sport and pretend that the world's best snowmobile flipper-overer is actually someone of note.

Reaction Score
I can't wait for Steven A Smith and Skip Bayless debating on First Take if Undertaker is clutch or not.

Reaction Score
I agree that they're athletes but I don't get why anyone over 7 is into it. It's like a grown man still really being into Santa.

Haven't watched in years because the product sucks but it's really no different than watching a movie. You know the actors in movies are playing characters and the outcome is predetermined. I'm not saying you in particular but I think people crap all over wrestling to feel better about themselves.

Reaction Score
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It's not even a sport. It's acting. WWE was stuff I loved back in 5th and 6th grade.

August_West

Reaction Score
Haven't watched in years because the product sucks but it's really no different than watching a movie. You know the actors in movies are playing characters and the outcome is predetermined. I'm not saying you in particular but I think people crap all over wrestling to feel better about themselves.
product does suck right now.
It used to be so fantastic. I especially was a huge mark for southern based stuff from the late 70's through the 80's ( Jim Crockett promotions, Georgia championship, Mid- South. World Class, UWF, Memphis). What made it so fun is those nuts BELIEVED, so the heat was so real. I did not like at all the cartoon era McMahon ushered in with Hogan after Vince sr. died, but I at least had NWA/WCW to lean on (McMahon had killed all the other regions) . Then the Monday night war/ attitude era of late 90's was simply incredible. WWE has sucked since the attitude era ended pretty much. at least 10 years now. I still pay attention but its not good (there are exceptions Daniel Bryan, etc...)

Reaction Score
The answer to every question is money. Its likely both that ESPN had or now has a stake in WWE once they saw their younger audience was paying attention, they are desperate to stop the erosion of eyeballs from sportscenter that's also discussed in thread.

Reaction Score
product does suck right now.
It used to be so fantastic. I especially was a huge mark for southern based stuff from the late 70's through the 80's ( Jim Crockett promotions, Georgia championship, Mid- South. World Class, UWF, Memphis). What made it so fun is those nuts BELIEVED, so the heat was so real. I did not like at all the cartoon era McMahon ushered in with Hogan after Vince sr. died, but I at least had NWA/WCW to lean on (McMahon had killed all the other regions) . Then the Monday night war/ attitude era of late 90's was simply incredible. WWE has sucked since the attitude era ended pretty much. at least 10 years now. I still pay attention but its not good (there are exceptions Daniel Bryan, etc...)
even if you don't watch raw, $10 a month for WWE network to just watch the PPVs is worth it. I still look forward to the major ones

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I hear you. A lot of people are into it, obviously, so there must be something to it. I find it amusing more than anything. Like I said, I respect the athleticism. It's choreographed but there's talent to it. There's also a skill in creating and performing the characters.

My dad watched boxing when I was a kid and hated the WWF because it was fake. So that's how I grew up (although I did watch it a little behind his back). Watching guys actually hit each other, not stomp on the floor with their foot while "throwing" a punch that misses by about a foot. That stuff always made me laugh. It was so over the top. Like when it was a tag-team bout and one team was going to lose so one of the guys would distract the ref, etc. So I get the comparison to the movies but I guess my response would be pointing out that movies look real. Then again, I guess it's all one type or another of the suspension of disbelief.

August_West

Reaction Score
even if you don't watch raw, $10 a month for WWE network to just watch the PPVs is worth it. I still look forward to the major ones

I have it. (well, I have a reciprocal deal with my Brother in law. I give him my Netflix password, he gives me is WWE network password).
I use it more for the classic stuff, honestly. Just finished watching the Flair/Steamboat trilogy of 5 Star matches from spring '89. But I do watch most current PPV's....eventually

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I have it. (well, I have a reciprocal deal with my Brother in law. I give him my Netflix password, he gives me is WWE network password).
I use it more for the classic stuff, honestly. Just finished watching the Flair/Steamboat trilogy of 5 Star matches from spring '89. But I do watch most current PPV's....eventually

If I drew a Venn diagram of hardcore Deadheads and hardcore wrestling fans, how many people besides you would be in the middle section?

Second question: if Jerry showed up a WWF event in like 1992, and bashed someone over the head with a guitar, do you think you would have died of ecstasy at that exact moment, or would it have taken a a few minutes?

August_West

Reaction Score
If I drew a Venn diagram of hardcore Deadheads and hardcore wrestling fans, how many people besides you would be in the middle section?

Second question: if Jerry showed up a WWF event in like 1992, and bashed someone over the head with a guitar, do you think you would have died of ecstasy at that exact moment, or would it have taken a a few minutes?
Nah I like those worlds being separate. I remember being at a dead show at philly spectrum in 1987 when wrestle mania 3 was happening and calling home from a payphone during set break for results

Reaction Score

Did you watch last night? If so how was it?

August_West

Reaction Score
didnt watch yet and have stayed away from spoilers. Going to watch tonight or tomorrow hopefully.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

For your sake or August's I don't want to spoil anything but one match (involving a hell in a cell) is a must watch. The rest was just blah. Couple nice surprises but don't expect one of the best Manias ever.

August_West

Reaction Score
I don't want to spoil anything but one match (involving a hell in a cell) is a must watch. The rest was just blah. Couple nice surprises but don't expect one of the best Manias ever.

Havent watched but I would bet my life Shane O Mac probably risked his life taking a bump again. He's insane always has been. Looking forward to seeing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom