OT: - Sports toys/games from your younger days. (Pics encouraged) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Sports toys/games from your younger days. (Pics encouraged)

Reaction Score
I had this Jeep and trailer. The action figures and the accessories were pretty cool. The launcher fired silver rockets which you can see in the jeep. Of course you'd inevitably lose some of GI Joe's limbs. I don't think they sold replacements back then, so you'd get a new Joe.

GI Joe.jpg

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
One boring summer day, my friends and I set out on a quest to tear Stretch Armstrong apart. From what I recall, there were pliers and a vise involved. We also tried to draw and quarter him between two bicycles. None of it worked. We were maybe 10? That day ended with one of the moms yelling at us because we tossed ol' Stretch in a metal garbage can with some charcoal lighter fluid to finish the job.

a67c908be0d858c3929c78542095bb60_display_large_7.webp
A sharp knife did the job. Got grounded because I ruined my mom’s new love seat. The goop inside never came off. Still don’t know what kind be alien compound that was made of.

Reaction Score
This one almost got me in some major trouble.
It never could kick as far as it was "supposed" to. Most times, I remember the football just rolling off that little platform.
So one day, I got so mad at it, I picked it up and threw it, intending to bounce it off our living room couch.
It sailed over the couch, and shattered the large window behind it.
My Mother came to see what happened and I got the wait until your father gets home speech.
For some reason I didn't get a major whoopin', my Dad hated that dang thing as much as I did apparently.
He threw it in the trash, made me empty my piggy bank - as my punishment, and went to the hardware store to get a replacement.
c6dvfrdtcy7b1.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I had this Jeep and trailer. The action figures and the accessories were pretty cool. The launcher fired silver rockets which you can see in the jeep. Of course you'd inevitably lose some of GI Joe's limbs. I don't think they sold replacements back then, so you'd get a new Joe.

View attachment 102102
I had the jeep too!

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Gas plane on a tether. Saved up for it by selling Christmas Cards door-to-door as advertised in my “Boys Life“ subscription. (a magazine from cub scouts) Was a bear to control, and started a boyhood obsession with anything with an internal combustion engine. Amazing that we survived.

View attachment 102088
This and slot cars were my obsessions for a while. Nearly lost fingers starting the cox engines many times. And that fuel was something else. With the right plane you could fly loops, then do forward loops to keep the tether chords from getting too crossed up.

Later we learned that you could use Estes rockets to create some nutty improvised fireworks. Get the biggest model rocket engine you could find, make a big 12-18 inch long tube from poster board, buy "cannon fuse" or improvise with tissue paper and gun powder and connect it to where the engine charge goes off to launch the parachute, then cram the tube with M80s, whatever else spliced to the "fuse". Epoxy fins on and add a nose cone. Launch when ready. I think we almost set South Windsor on fire once with that game.

Reaction Score
I love this thread. It makes me think of so many wonderful memories.

1. Wiffle Ball- My dad actually built a wiffle ball field, complete with little American flags on top of the outfield fence posts for foul poles. I can't tell you how many hours my friends and family spent on our lot playing wiffle ball. It's one of the thing I miss the most about my old house in Morris, CT.
2. Jarts- These are still illegal now, yet some cities want to make it okay to walk around with heroin in your pockets. Never thought I'd see the day
3. Balsa Wood Planes- They remind me of Cape Cod. Every year my mom would buy me one from a store up there and I'd take it to the beach. She would also get me a cheap kite to fly.

I also grew up on Transformers, the new G.I. Joe figures and vehicles and if anybody remembers toys based on the short lived M.A.S.K. cartoon. I never really got into He-Man which also big when I was a kid.

I also miss the smell of the electric race car sets. It is funny how a picture or smell can take you back.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
1. Wiffle Ball- My dad actually built a wiffle ball field, complete with little American flags on top of the outfield fence posts for foul poles. I can't tell you how many hours my friends and family spent on our lot playing wiffle ball. It's one of the thing I miss the most about my old house in Morris, CT.
I played in a backyard whiffleball league in Ansonia when I was a freshman or sophomore in high school and the kid who ran it was a part time writer for the Valley Sentinel. He would write articles like it was a legit baseball league with quotes from players and all. I still have the articles saved in a binder somewhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom