OT: - Sports toys/games from your younger days. (Pics encouraged) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Sports toys/games from your younger days. (Pics encouraged)

Reaction Score
APBA American Saddle Racing. I was WAYYYYYY into horse racing from when I was a teenager until just the last few years, as internal politics ruined the sport in America. This game occupied my bedroom desk full-time, never going back into the box for several years. Took close to an hour to run one race, but I loved it. I'd run at least one race nearly every day after school, and several races on the weekend.

Had a few other APBA sports games also, but none came close to this one for me...

APBA Saddle Racing.jpg

cwh20

Six is good!
Reaction Score
APBA American Saddle Racing. I was WAYYYYYY into horse racing from when I was a teenager until just the last few years, as internal politics ruined the sport in America. This game occupied my bedroom desk full-time, never going back into the box for several years. Took close to an hour to run one race, but I loved it. I'd run at least one race nearly every day after school, and several races on the weekend.

Had a few other APBA sports games also, but none came close to this one for me...

View attachment 102148
Most of these toys were staples in the neighborhood. I’d have to give top prize to the wiffle ball and bat. Who didn’t play hours of that growing up?

I had the dice version of APBA baseball. You’d buy the new season of cards for every MLB team to stay current with the rosters and player performance. The cards had outcomes based on the dice roll but where a roll of say 33 might be a home run for Aaron and his card Ralph Garr, a mainly singles hitter would only maybe get a double so if you played enough the players performed as expected overall. I kept team records and track of the MLB leaders in a notebook for all the games I played. I was addicted. FYI - Cesar Cedeno was a good player but somehow got good dice roll after good roll when he came to bat and crushed it one year at the plate. The easy MVP.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
View attachment 102143

160-1 Electronic project kit when I was 9. Still have it. Best “ toy” ever.
I used to mess with that thing 14 hours a day and it shaped my life. 3 days after the XMAS I received it I hijacked the AM radio my parents listened to Bob Steele on before work every morning and broadcast myself.
It’s stuck with me through life, from giving me the knowledge framework to build my own guitar effects and rewire my guitars, to setting me up for understanding hardware computer components early in the game which led to my career.

Yeah, I was, and am, an egghead.

I used one of those at a friend's house. I was shocked I was so bad with it.

Reaction Score
Gilbert chemistry sets! It's where my love of science . . . and blowing up stuff . . . began.

One of the biggest complaints I had as a youth was that I always got the small set. Same with Lincoln Logs and Kenner Girder & Panel building sets. You get a pamphlet or booklet showing what you can build if you had the big sets. When I tried to build something bigger, I'd always run out of parts. My building looked like the contractor ran out of money before he could finish it.

1chemistry10.jpg
4580536.jpg

Reaction Score
All these toys from childhood, were, and still are intriguing and creative.

What valuable and educational toys, if any, do contemporary kids now use?

Reaction Score
Back here just to post a childhood favorite - Lincoln Logs.

Fast forward 30+ years and the one video I showed to my elementary school class every year was "Alone in the Wilderness."

Can you imagine never having to deal with another human for almost 40 years of your life? He built the cabin from scratch, was the very definition of a hunter gatherer, and just lived the perfect life in his very own self made Lincoln Log cabin.

(yes, I know his friend and his brother flew in once in a while. Doesn't change a thing.)

#1 on my bucket list is still to visit Dick Proenneke's cabin.

For anyone who hasn't seen "Alone in the Wilderness" - do it, and show it to your kids.
Just watched it…thx for posting. Amazing how self sufficient he was….into his 80s. I saw there is a part 2 but can’t seem to find it on any streaming service

Reaction Score
Just watched it…thx for posting. Amazing how self sufficient he was….into his 80s. I saw there is a part 2 but can’t seem to find it on any streaming service
I just checked and saw there are YouTube trailers of Part 2, and that it can be purchased on a DVD from Amazon.

Never heard of it before, but will try to watch it at some time.

Reaction Score
I just checked and saw there are YouTube trailers of Part 2, and that it can be purchased on a DVD from Amazon.

Never heard of it before, but will try to watch it at some time.
Problem is not sure I even have a dvd player anymore

temery

What?
Reaction Score

The films he recorded have been used to make four videos:

Alone in the Wilderness
Alaska, Silence and Solitude
The Frozen North
Alone in the Wilderness part II

Reaction Score
Gilbert chemistry sets! It's where my love of science . . . and blowing up stuff . . . began.

One of the biggest complaints I had as a youth was that I always got the small set. Same with Lincoln Logs and Kenner Girder & Panel building sets. You get a pamphlet or booklet showing what you can build if you had the big sets. When I tried to build something bigger, I'd always run out of parts. My building looked like the contractor ran out of money before he could finish it.

View attachment 102159 View attachment 102160
We set fire to a friend’s back lot with one of those. Must have been 9.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom