Sporting News: "not if, but when" Big Ten moves to 16... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sporting News: "not if, but when" Big Ten moves to 16...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am sure the Big 10 is covering all of its basis, and is probably evaluating expansion candidates more scientifically than any other league. I am sure that UConn is on the radar, along with a lot of other schools.

Reaction Score
How to get smart about B1G expansion

It's time to get smart about Big Ten expansion suggestions. Think about it: if you follow these steps, you can outsmart your friends in realignment roulette! Trust me, it won't take much, but you need to know a few things that make Big Ten expansion a bit different from those we've seen in other leagues.

Here are four steps that should help you get started ...

STEP 1: On-field performance really doesn't matter very much
Just because a school has a great football team doesn't mean the Big Ten is interested in adding it as a new member. The Big Ten just added Maryland and Rutgers, two schools not known for their football prowess. The Big Ten is more concerned with population numbers than AP poll numbers, so don't get wrapped up in the wrong data. Try to think less like a fan and more like a businessperson.
STEP 2: Get to know the AAU
The Association of American Universities is an association of leading research universities that means a lot -- not a little, but a lot -- to the Big Ten and its presidents.
Maryland and Rutgers both are AAU members, and you can bet any future expansion targets will be, too.
STEP 3: Look outside the existing Big Ten footprint
Remember, this is Big Ten expansion we're talking about, and given what the Big Ten has said, that means expanding the footprint to new areas with large or growing populations and a good chunk of Big Ten alumni.
STEP 4: Pay attention to demographics
How many times did you hear the word "demographics" from Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany last month? Pay attention to that word.
Look at where the people are. Look at the size of the television market. Look at where Big Ten schools have their largest alumni bases.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/68129/how-to-get-smart-about-b1g-expansion

Reaction Score
I am sure the Big 10 is covering all of its basis, and is probably evaluating expansion candidates more scientifically than any other league. I am sure that UConn is on the radar, along with a lot of other schools.
"... Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third ...".

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
As far as demographics go Delaney also mentioned population growth.

North Carolina and Virginia combined are projected to add the state of CT's population plus another 30% in the next 20 years.
Maryland and New Jersey combined are expected to add "a half of CT" in population in the next 20 years

For all purposes those 4 states will add 2 states of CT by 2035. Count those cable households!

CT is 43rd for population growth which is down there with Rhode Island, Vermont, and New Hampshire and Maine. The Demographics of the state get less desirable every year--concentrated yet declining older white wealth and increasingly younger less wealthy urban minority. All the BiG would really want is Fairfield County for ad revenue. The rest of the state is as desirable as Maine or Vermont.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
As far as demographics go Delaney also mentioned population growth.

North Carolina and Virginia combined are projected to add the state of CT's population plus another 30% in the next 20 years.
Maryland and New Jersey combined are expected to add "a half of CT" in population in the next 20 years

For all purposes those 4 states will add 2 states of CT by 2035. Count those cable households!

CT is 43rd for population growth which is down there with Rhode Island, Vermont, and New Hampshire and Maine. The Demographics of the state get less desirable every year--concentrated yet declining older white wealth and increasingly younger less wealthy urban minority. All the BiG would really want is Fairfield County for ad revenue. The rest of the state is as desirable as Maine or Vermont.

The ACC schools are surely well aware that the demographic trends strongly favor their institutions. This has to be another source of reluctance on their part to join the B1G. From a southern viewpoint, its the rapidly growing south that should be picking up the best pieces of the rustbelt north. Ohio St and Michigan should be dialing in HQ in NC rather than Duke and UNC dialing Chicago. Even if the ACC schools have repeat of moderate or muted football success like the 2000s for the decade ahead, in the long run they will have a demographic advantage. Demographic advantages doesnt = death knell for the B1G. It can survive this if it takes a firm hold of the northeast to broaden the base. If the B1G has been rebuffed by the south, they should jump on the Northeast and make our cable operators care.

Reaction Score

The list really isn't too long. The Big Ten is planning on going to 18 or 20. You could pretty easily narrow the candidates down to BC, UCONN, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech and Florida State (if they make a strong enough case). That's basically eight or nine teams for a maximum of six spots unless Texas were to decide to join (in which case Texas and Kansas could be candidates).

It's almost a guarantee, though, the Big Ten will wind up with at least 18. They're only stopping at 16 if it is the right two schools, and I don't think the combination of schools they would ideally like to get with 16 will happen unless they topple more dominoes.

I could envision a scenario where the Big Ten went after BC, UConn, Virginia, UNC, Georgia Tech and Notre Dame. You'd have an Atlantic corridor that stretched from Boston to Atlanta and westward to Chicago/Minneapolis with most points in between. The two things that could change that scenario are whether UNC insists on Duke (not that they wouldn't fit the Big Ten profile) or whether FSU convinces the Big Ten it's committed to becoming a viable research institution. Obviously FSU would be cherished if that happens given the strength of the football program and the location within a heavily populated state.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
The list really isn't too long. The Big Ten is planning on going to 18 or 20. You could pretty easily narrow the candidates down to BC, UCONN, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech and Florida State (if they make a strong enough case). That's basically eight or nine teams for a maximum of six spots unless Texas were to decide to join (in which case Texas and Kansas could be candidates).

It's almost a guarantee, though, the Big Ten will wind up with at least 18. They're only stopping at 16 if it is the right two schools, and I don't think the combination of schools they would ideally like to get with 16 will happen unless they topple more dominoes.

I could envision a scenario where the Big Ten went after BC, UConn, Virginia, UNC, Georgia Tech and Notre Dame. You'd have an Atlantic corridor that stretched from Boston to Atlanta and westward to Chicago/Minneapolis with most points in between. The two things that could change that scenario are whether UNC insists on Duke (not that they wouldn't fit the Big Ten profile) or whether FSU convinces the Big Ten it's committed to becoming a viable research institution. Obviously FSU would be cherished if that happens given the strength of the football program and the location within a heavily populated state.

I understand B1G's attraction to all the schools you list except BC.

Does Delaney really believe ND cares about BC?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
If the B1G has been rebuffed by the south, they should jump on the Northeast and make our cable operators care.

I'm not convinced they've been rebuffed by the South. That's more than likely an ACC wet dream.

Reaction Score
Feel free.

But ask yourself this - why is it that this board is the only place where UConn is considered a potential Big Ten candidate?
a) its not. i've seen and linked non-uconn related sites speculating potential targets with uconn mentioned.
b) so because a couple clowns suggest gt, that means its legit? c'mon fish youre better than that...
c) this is a uconn board. one would think visions here are slightly skewed towards national flag blue colored glasses. so if people want to run with that, great.
d) this place is nuts. some people will read into anything, even after a poster admits to making stuff up. seen it many times here... they'll just call the poster out and then continue to speculate on the known garbage.

none of this proves or disproves the next step in cr. given whats happened so far, its easy to think the worst. but to suggest you know something based on that is bs. you are speculating, just like everyone else.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Why would Fishy intentionally make up or put a negative spin on our situation? Clearly the people he has talked to dont think the situation looks good.

We just have to hope that if UConn and B1G have talked, it has been as under wraps as the Rutgers talks.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why would Fishy intentionally make up or put a negative spin on our situation? Clearly the people he has talked to dont think the situation looks good.

We just have to hope that if UConn and B1G have talked, it has been as under wraps as the Rutgers talks.

He wouldn't. He'll jump for joy like the rest of us if the invite comes. I am torn. There is a certain logic to adding UVA and UConn from a geographic and academic perspective. I really don't think the B1G can extend any further south than Virgina, and even Virginia is a stretch. But it shores up northern VA/Metro DC, and shores up northern metro NY if they add those two. I honestly don't think the B1G can play in the sandbox any further south. It will never capture mindshare in those states. It could do it in Kansas with KU, but the GOR and lack of a large market besides KC is limiting.

But I don't know how the B1G views Syracuse and BC either. Cuse was long rumored for the Big Ten, when it was AAU. It's a very large private university, unlike BC. In some respects, UConn, UVA now, and BC plus ND later make a lot or sense. The Big Ten becomes the "Big North". It owns the northern U.S. But the reality is, that move may not be worth the trouble.

Reaction Score
I understand B1G's attraction to all the schools you list except BC.

Does Delaney really believe ND cares about BC?

I don't think he would take BC just to appease Notre Dame (though certainly if Notre Dame says they want BC to tag along, it would be a consideration). I think the hope is that if BC has enough interest to jack up leverage in the Boston DMA negotiations with cable companies, it's a big payday. The other thing BC has going for it as a secondary consideration is that the Big Ten is trying to strengthen its hockey league. That alone certainly wouldn't get BC an invite, but it does help.

Reaction Score
You know what his means Boneyard. If you have less than 20 kids you might as well be a communist.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I don't think he would take BC just to appease Notre Dame (though certainly if Notre Dame says they want BC to tag along, it would be a consideration). I think the hope is that if BC has enough interest to jack up leverage in the Boston DMA negotiations with cable companies, it's a big payday. The other thing BC has going for it as a secondary consideration is that the Big Ten is trying to strengthen its hockey league. That alone certainly wouldn't get BC an invite, but it does help.

I hope Delaney researches long and hard the ACC's experience with BC's impact on the Boston DMA prior to extending them an invite on that basis.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame doesn't care about BC at all, period. They would never make BC's membership a condition to their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom