Sporting News: "not if, but when" Big Ten moves to 16... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Sporting News: "not if, but when" Big Ten moves to 16...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree with this. When UConn went to SNY, everyone in CT demanded that SNY be added to their cable package. I believe it happened in time for the first UConn game. The same would happen if UConn went to the B1G. That's an entire state that the B1G would be able to add. Is CT a huge get? Not necessarily but there are UConn alums in RI, MA, and NY that would want the BTN as well. I don't know if BC moves the needle enough in Boston for folks to demand that BTN be added but there's history with the SNY move to show that CT would add the BTN in a heartbeat if UConn went to the B1G. Add them with RU and NYC would likely be move attainable.

I would add that CT would also add a fair amount of New England as a whole, ME,NH,VT,RI and parts of western MA, there are a lot of husky fans in NE.

Reaction Score
our favorite VER tweeted today that the B1G is ready to move now and the team is north of the Mason Dixon line.

BELIEVE! ALIVE! INTERNET RUMOR!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
our favorite VER tweeted today that the B1G is ready to move now and the team is north of the Mason Dixon line.

UMass?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

MHver3@MHver3
Rumor is the BiG is close to pulling the trigger on number 16. And it's north of the mason Dixon.

Yeah, okay...and who is the 15th team? UVA

Reaction Score
@
Rumor is the BiG is close to pulling the trigger on number 16. And it's north of the mason Dixon.

Yeah, okay...and who is the 15th team? UVA

Oh no!!! CCSU is getting an invite to the B1G :(

Reaction Score

I'm going on record to say we are going to the B1G. I have no inside information. Too many stars in alignment. I'm ready, too... B1G network already on my directv. If I'm wrong, come the first game, stop by my tailgate and collect a beer from me.

Edit: I don't want to hear from Fishy. I dismiss your inside knowledge and insert my rampant speculation as truth.

Reaction Score
Edit: I don't want to hear from Fishy. I dismiss your inside knowledge and insert my rampant speculation as truth.[/quote]

I don't see anyone with inside knowledge on this board! I didn't read about Cuse and Pitt here before it happened and I seemed to miss the Md and Rutgers scoop too.....Other than my man HFD who pitches every possible scenario and is bound to be right no matter what, no one knows, it's all just speculation.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm going on record to say we are going to the B1G. I have no inside information. Too many stars in alignment. I'm ready, too... B1G network already on my directv. If I'm wrong, come the first game, stop by my tailgate and collect a beer from me.

Edit: I don't want to hear from Fishy. I dismiss your inside knowledge and insert my rampant speculation as truth.

Which game qualifies as the first game? Want. to make sure I get my beer just in case.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

I don't see anyone with inside knowledge on this board! I didn't read about Cuse and Pitt here before it happened and I seemed to miss the Md and Rutgers scoop too.....Other than my man HFD who pitches every possible scenario and is bound to be right no matter what, no one knows, it's all just speculation.[/quote]

unlv to the sec

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UNLV to any conference makes sense.

All their home games should be on Saturdays at about 8 pm.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Which game qualifies as the first game? Want. to make sure I get my beer just in case.

If the B1G is set on going to 16 and can somehow wrestle free Virginia, but the rest of the ACC stays intact, doesn't it come down to UConn or BC?

Obviously, I'm biased, but I don't see how UConn doesn't beat out BC in a head to head competition involving B1G/B1G Network.

-B1G Network could name their price for B1G Network in CT - that's a given. I don't think you can say the same in Mass.
-B1G Network I THINK could gain more coverage throughout the rest of New England and charge higher subscriber fees than if you had BC and tried to get B1G Network in CT.
-Most importantly, UConn, combined with Rutgers and the B1G giants like Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State is going to created a high demand in NYC DMA.

The only reason to add BC is the presumed value ND has with their BC relationship. I just don't buy it though. ND could play BC OOC every year if they want to. I also don't believe ND will ever join a conference. Even if the ACC gets raided beyond belief, ND could still play hoops with the ACC remnants or C7. Barring a playoff change that says you have to win a Big 4 conference to play for a title, ND just isn't joining a conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well the ACC isn't taking Virginia without another team in tow. If they can't get anyone other than UConn or BC they aren't taking Virginia.

On a side note we heard the noise when UConn went from CPTV to SNY so name your price is strong.

I was being more literal though. When would be the first game when UConn isn't in the Big 10? If they go to 16 people here will say 18 or 20 is coming - so when could you officially collect the beer for them not joining?

Reaction Score
Well the ACC isn't taking Virginia without another team in tow. If they can't get anyone other than UConn or BC they aren't taking Virginia.

On a side note we heard the noise when UConn went from CPTV to SNY so name your price is strong.

I was being more literal though. When would be the first game when UConn isn't in the Big 10? If they go to 16 people here will say 18 or 20 is coming - so when could you officially collect the beer for them not joining?

Damn you saw right through me! First game of 13/14 season. Not including spring game.

Reaction Score
What I've been told repeatedly by people who would know.

I wrote about it in a couple of other threads since this particular board started.

I do not not doubt that UConn is trying to gain the attention of the Big Ten, but to date, there has been no interest.
im calling bs... you have no more knowledge of who is or isnt on the big's radar than any other speculator.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
im calling bs... you have no more knowledge of who is or isnt on the big's radar than any other speculator.

Feel free.

But ask yourself this - why is it that this board is the only place where UConn is considered a potential Big Ten candidate?

Reaction Score
This was posted on the Ohio State board last December:

I don't think they went hardest after a bunch of ACC schools and only landed Maryland. From what I've read Maryland appears to have been specifically targeted for whatever reason. If it proved anything, though, it proved the ACC is not unassailable.

If you go to Google maps, and you create a map will all ACC schools and all Big Ten schools on the map (in separate colors), and you add the following schools in the Big Ten's footprint:

Virginia, Maryland, Rutgers, UConn

You will see exactly what they're trying to do.

Jim Delany can essentially own the Mid-atlantic from No. Va to Boston. NYC would be a Big Ten town, and there would be a pretty large buffer zone of 200+ miles in all directions.

People are missing the boat with the Big Ten and ACC. It's not the Big Ten's M.O. to destroy a conference. They selectively pick. And it would be way too expensive to try and take two.

My guess is that they go hard after UVA and round out with UConn. They'll get UConn MBB/WBB to help significantly bolster Big Ten basketball, and they'll have a stranglehold on the map from Omaha to Boston.

Yep. Delany pretty much hinted at this in both the Maryland and Rutgers pressers. He made a big deal about 'contiguous' expansion. I think they have a list of schools they want, and they'll systematically go down the geographic line to trigger the events they desire.
KyleSLamb

Connecticut is not *technically* contiguous but for practical purposes, yes it actually is. The NYC market, which is now in the Big Ten's footprint, is actually included in Western Connecticut. So from Jim Delany's point of view and the Big Ten's POV, it IS a contiguous area. Or put another way, the Big Ten's television footprint is now included in Connecticut (or will be as of 2014). So it pretty much is now a Big Ten state.
KyleSLamb

From the WVU board:
RUlookinatme
Blue Tic Hound
170 posts this site
Posted: 11/23/2012 4:56 PM
Source close to Tyler Phommachanh says UConn and Virginia to Big 10
(Tyler Phommachanh is Tim Pernetti, the Rutgers AD)

Reaction Score
KyleSLamb.gif

Posted: 12/8/2012 9:33 PM
Re: All New Expansion Discussion HERE

TampaDave wrote: Premium board insiders base their concept of realigned conferences on "informed speculation". Nevada's source, who I believe is truly familiar with the inside workings of the B1G HQ in Chicago, makes it clear that UConn and BC are NOT B1G candidates. Give some thought to the 7 day free trial if you want to learn who Chicago sees as viable candidates in a 20 team B1G Ten Conference.​
Connecticut absolutely is a candidate. I'm certain of that.

I'm sure others have their sources and I respect that. But I know who I'm getting mine from and there's no speculation about it.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=10508077&p=92

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
KyleSLamb.gif

Posted: 12/8/2012 9:33 PM
Re: All New Expansion Discussion HERE

TampaDave wrote: Premium board insiders base their concept of realigned conferences on "informed speculation". Nevada's source, who I believe is truly familiar with the inside workings of the B1G HQ in Chicago, makes it clear that UConn and BC are NOT B1G candidates. Give some thought to the 7 day free trial if you want to learn who Chicago sees as viable candidates in a 20 team B1G Ten Conference.​
Connecticut absolutely is a candidate. I'm certain of that.

I'm sure others have their sources and I respect that. But I know who I'm getting mine from and there's no speculation about it.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=10508077&p=92

Two pages later that poster claims Connecticut becomes a Big Ten state in 2014 with the addition of Rutgers.

That thread makes the Boneyard look a little better.

Reaction Score
This is from a thread on an OSU site discussing possible B1G expansion and the AAU issue. Someone had raised Cincinnati as a possible candidate. Note the comments toward the end. I have no idea if this guy has any credibility but earlier he was trying to articulate that there may be some viable candidates for The B1G "beyond those you first might think".

"As someone with direct knowledge of the AAU, let me explain a couple of things. Without rehashing the complete saga of Nebraska's ouster, remember that the AAU's decision to cull the herd came as a shock to some of the legacy invites. The criteria promulgated through the biannual review group was fairly consistent with the AAU's broadened outlook, but denial was not just a river in Egypt. There will be more voluntary departures. I doubt that we bear witness to the public shennanigans of Neb. As far as some of the schools listed above which read as a definitive candidates list of next AAU invitees, Cincy is not on that list. This isn't just my wildnerness opinion. The research dollars claimed by Cincy conflate med operations and research. That's more anathama then claiming noncomp ag dollars to majority of schools. Quite frankly, if any univ hospital could claim, eg, cap construction costs as research dollars, well we'd have hundreds of AAU members. Also, be careful with aggregate research dollars; AAU focuses on comp fed dollars, NSF, NIH, etc. Next, be mindful of the size of the university when discussing research dollars. For example, Brandeis has very few (comparatively) research $'s vis a vis Hopkins, Stanford, etc. however AAU norms that out by merely using a faculty/research $ ratio. And while not quite cause/effect, the underlying academic quality of the institution matters. Each AAU school knows how, e.g, avg mcat,lsat,gre of candidate schools' undergrad students. Cincy isn't playing in the same league as the others. (franky, nor are KU, Oregon, and a few other legacy AAU members) That's why the above list is in error. As some of you probably know, Boston Univ was just extended an AAU invite based on total research $'s in the $380m range, of which $280ish was comp federal grants, normed out to 1400 faculty. That is the figure invitees need to shoot for. KU, Oregon, and a couple others are laggards and will be next on the ouster list while Georgia and UConn will be AAU in next 5 years. UConn in particular is getting a tremendous buzz right now in research academia because of its shopping spree for research talent. It truly is amazing what it is doing right now. It's plucking a LOT of talent during a period of angst in the community. This is a football board, but if it interests you, you'll find a lot of the back story of its talent hunt on google. How this relates to realignment? Let's just say the circle of academia intersects the AD/TV circle in a degenerate point, and never forget that point is all about the dollars."

All of these comments about UConn were written BEFORE the recent moves last week by the school and Gov. Malloy which can only serve to further brighten UConn's blip on the B1G radar screen.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It would be unfortunately ironic if the school that locked us out of the ACC was also the school most shamelessly marketing themselves to the B1G: BCU.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My prediction as of 8:45 am on 2/3:

UConn is not the first school out of the Big East to a better conference, and may not even be the second.

Get used to it boys, Tulane and ECU are our "rivals" now, and we will be lucky if Cincinnati is in our league in 5 years.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
This was posted on the Ohio State board last December:

I don't think they went hardest after a bunch of ACC schools and only landed Maryland. From what I've read Maryland appears to have been specifically targeted for whatever reason. If it proved anything, though, it proved the ACC is not unassailable.

If you go to Google maps, and you create a map will all ACC schools and all Big Ten schools on the map (in separate colors), and you add the following schools in the Big Ten's footprint:

Virginia, Maryland, Rutgers, UConn

You will see exactly what they're trying to do.

Jim Delany can essentially own the Mid-atlantic from No. Va to Boston. NYC would be a Big Ten town, and there would be a pretty large buffer zone of 200+ miles in all directions.

People are missing the boat with the Big Ten and ACC. It's not the Big Ten's M.O. to destroy a conference. They selectively pick. And it would be way too expensive to try and take two.

My guess is that they go hard after UVA and round out with UConn. They'll get UConn MBB/WBB to help significantly bolster Big Ten basketball, and they'll have a stranglehold on the map from Omaha to Boston.

Yep. Delany pretty much hinted at this in both the Maryland and Rutgers pressers. He made a big deal about 'contiguous' expansion. I think they have a list of schools they want, and they'll systematically go down the geographic line to trigger the events they desire.
KyleSLamb

Connecticut is not *technically* contiguous but for practical purposes, yes it actually is. The NYC market, which is now in the Big Ten's footprint, is actually included in Western Connecticut. So from Jim Delany's point of view and the Big Ten's POV, it IS a contiguous area. Or put another way, the Big Ten's television footprint is now included in Connecticut (or will be as of 2014). So it pretty much is now a Big Ten state.
KyleSLamb

From the WVU board:
RUlookinatme
Blue Tic Hound
170 posts this site
Posted: 11/23/2012 4:56 PM
Source close to Tyler Phommachanh says UConn and Virginia to Big 10
(Tyler Phommachanh is Tim Pernetti, the Rutgers AD)

Let's hope the Pernetti reference is legit. If it is, its the most encouraging shred of any and all of the "evidence" I've come across on the web or otherwise extrapolated from Delaney/Herbst commentary that Connecticut is on the radar...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom