Sporting News: "not if, but when" Big Ten moves to 16... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sporting News: "not if, but when" Big Ten moves to 16...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
The goal is to expand south not north. But if he BIG doesn't land its primary targets, who knows what happens next....

The goal is to expand east. UConn has always been in their plans. That said, if better opportunities arise then they could go elsewhere. We have to earn a spot.

That is why UConn is investing $1.5 bn in STEM to get AAU status, going Hockey East, starting lacrosse, re-arranging its football coaching staff, and so forth.

Reaction Score
yes, the state made a 1.5 billion dollar decision to make sure football gets into the B10...

It may have played a .000001% role, but c'mon man

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
yes, the state made a 1.5 billion dollar decision to make sure football gets into the B10...

No, the state was likely going to go in this direction because that is what Herbst was brought in to do. But they decided to make it a very public process to help UConn get into the B1G.

See the difference?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
No, but you cannot think football isn't a component. Maybe the investment is $1.5B versus an otherwise $700M to push for a B1G invite. If you can facilitate a conference move that will increase athletic revenues by about $40m/yr (tv + tickets + donations), increase opportunities for fundraising to grow the endowment, and increase publicity in your university all the while improving academics then this makes sense. It is not the only consideration, of course, but to take athletic affiliation out of the calculus is not right either.

Reaction Score

This is about being a TOP TOP PUBLIC University. It's leaving behind the Yankee Conference NE State U's. Leaving behind the State's that won't spend on Higher Ed. It directly effects the State economy for the next 25 years. And ... byproduct ... raises us to the point that we will be amongst the Top conferences.

Reaction Score
No, the state was likely going to go in this direction because that is what Herbst was brought in to do. But they decided to make it a very public process to help UConn get into the B1G.

See the difference?

Oh, so the state would other wise have not publicized this?

I mean, great if it helps get us into a conference that isn't the MAC. But this is a non-football/non-sports program.

**yes i understand this is a football board and so everything will be viewed through a football lens**

Reaction Score
No, but you cannot think football isn't a component. Maybe the investment is $1.5B versus an otherwise $700M to push for a B1G invite. If you can facilitate a conference move that will increase athletic revenues by about $40m/yr (tv + tickets + donations), increase opportunities for fundraising to grow the endowment, and increase publicity in your university all the while improving academics then this makes sense. It is not the only consideration, of course, but to take athletic affiliation out of the calculus is not right either.

I mean, your entire post is 800 million dollars of speculation. But like I said if it helps move us even 1 inch toward solid conference alignment, I'm ecstatic.

Reaction Score
This is about being a TOP TOP PUBLIC University. It's leaving behind the Yankee Conference NE State U's. Leaving behind the State's that won't spend on Higher Ed. It directly effects the State economy for the next 25 years. And ... byproduct ... raises us to the point that we will be amongst the Top conferences.

Yea I get that. Excited about it. Lets pump up the value of my UCONN graduation. Still, and I know this is a football board, people are going a bit overboard with the ramifications.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I would be shocked if GTech was invited to join the Big 10. GTech is too far south, and worse, is the clear #2 in the state behind U of Georgia. When the SEC Networks starts up, the BTN will be an afterthought with or without GTech. I think BCU would be invited before GTech.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I would be shocked if GTech was invited to join the Big 10. GTech is too far south, and worse, is the clear #2 in the state behind U of Georgia. When the SEC Networks starts up, the BTN will be an afterthought with or without GTech. I think BCU would be invited before GTech.
Population growth. The B1G will have to share market with the SEC in both North Carolina and Virginia as well if GA Tech becomes a reality. So why not? Still adds cable dollars.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Oh, so the state would other wise have not publicized this?

I mean, great if it helps get us into a conference that isn't the MAC. But this is a non-football/non-sports program.

**yes i understand this is a football board and so everything will be viewed through a football lens**

I didn't say that. Nor did anyone say that the sole purpose was to get us into the B1G. Maybe Malloy accelerated the time table. Maybe not. We do know that UConn has been adding faculty when other schools are cutting faculty. If you're eyeing a conference that values academics why not leverage your educational aspirations?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"If UNC is not ready but UVa is, UVa-UConn would be a logical pairing to get to 16.

We can certainly dream for this to happen. Ten toes in for it!!!
tumblr_lsrkztBGG71qii6tmo1_500.gif

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Do you think BCU gets invited before Connecticut does?

Reaction Score
The goal is to expand east. UConn has always been in their plans. That said, if better opportunities arise then they could go elsewhere. We have to earn a spot.

That is why UConn is investing $1.5 bn in STEM to get AAU status, going Hockey East, starting lacrosse, re-arranging its football coaching staff, and so forth.
It is about population trends, tv sets, and recruiting grounds. They are looking east....southeast. I think we have a shot but several things need to break our way.

Reaction Score
Duke is not a political partner for UNC. Duke cannot compete in football in the B1G in any way, shape or form. Duke football has very little market penetration despite its freakish BB popularity. Wallace Wade seats 33,000
and is almost never sold out, expect perhaps for UNC every other year if UNC is decent. If you think Duke's record in the ACC is bad, try giving them a B1G schedule. Duke allows a coach to sign one non-qualifying type for a sports team and no more. Duke's a great school and it can get good BB players who qualify but not in FB. Never, ever. UNC will go where it wants. It will play Duke OOC in many sports but probably not football.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Let's hope this goes through. There are a lot of shocked and appalled people in this sate over this announcement. It's one thing for him to announce it, it's another to have it approved by the proper people. I think this is a great step but I just hope it's more than a pipe dream. With the sate facing a HUGE budget deficit, this doesn't go over real well with a lot fo folks who don't give a rats butt about UConn or anything related to it.

I'm not trying to politicize this because I hate politics and everything associated with it. I just don't wanna get excited until this is official. Did anyone glance at the comments on the article on courant.com? Also the comments by house reps? Not a popularity move on Malloy's part. Good for him and us if this goes through!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Population growth. The B1G will have to share market with the SEC in both North Carolina and Virginia as well if GA Tech becomes a reality. So why not? Still adds cable dollars.

The problem is that Georgia is SEC country, and once the SEC Network goes live, are cable channels in the south really going to carry both the SECN and BTN in the base sports package at $0.30 per subscriber? Not bloody likely. They are not going to add $0.60 per subscriber in an industry with declining margins. They will add the SECN to the base and tell the BTN they can be in the expanded package at $0.05 per subscriber.

To be honest, the ACCN with GTech would probably do better in Georgia than a BTN with GTech. Southerners just aren't going to get excited about Georgia Tech playing Minnesota and Michigan State. The BTN is likely doing extensive market research on this, but I suspect any Big 10 expansion will be in Virginia, possibly NC, or east.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
The problem is that Georgia is SEC country, and once the SEC Network goes live, are cable channels in the south really going to carry both the SECN and BTN in the base sports package at $0.30 per subscriber? Not bloody likely. They are not going to add $0.60 per subscriber in an industry with declining margins. They will add the SECN to the base and tell the BTN they can be in the expanded package at $0.05 per subscriber.

To be honest, the ACCN with GTech would probably do better in Georgia than a BTN with GTech. Southerners just aren't going to get excited about Georgia Tech playing Minnesota and Michigan State. The BTN is likely doing extensive market research on this, but I suspect any Big 10 expansion will be in Virginia, possibly NC, or east.

Would the BTN land on base or expanded packages on CT/West Mass cable systems if Connecticut joined the B1G? And at what rate?

How does $.30 per subscriber in New England compare to $.05 in ATL/Georgia?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

UConn has never been in their plans.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Your opinion or based on some other info?

What I've been told repeatedly by people who would know.

I wrote about it in a couple of other threads since this particular board started.

I do not not doubt that UConn is trying to gain the attention of the Big Ten, but to date, there has been no interest.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
In my unqualified opinion, I just dont think schools south of Virginia will take the B1G plunge. The cultural, weather and travel angles are just too significant. VA is the only 'southern' school I could see making the switch because its sits at the southern end of the Wash-Bost megalopolis with a significant alumni base spread from DC to NYC (Paul Tudor Jones - VA biggest boost - bar none - lives in Gwich CT). And while the loss of VA to the B1G maybe a psychological blow to the ACC, is it really a blow to their conference from a competition perspective? VA doesnt bring anything to the ACC for basketball or football.

While I expect we will continue to hear all kinds of stories about UNC, GT and others leaving the ACC, I think at the end of the day the alumni and the trustees of these schools will not permit it. Heading north means alot of travel for all their teams (think of the burden for all sports) and fewer games in cities with their own alumni. The SEC is the true wildcard, but again, I think the other members of the ACC will make a successful pitch to UNC to counter and SEC offer. Why leave to be a middle of the pack school in the SEC when they can be top dog in the ACC.

Meanwhile if VA leaves, I dont think it will spell the end for the ACC. They will grab either Cinci or SouthFlorida or WV (WV has to be feel insecure about being on an island w/B10 - it could really damage the school in the long run for both recruiting and alumni- with no presence on the east coast). Cinci, SF or WV all bring more to the sports table than VA. Of course they dont bring the DC tv market, but again, they actually bring a better sports brand and do offer some new TV ground relative to the league. Furthermore, the loss of VA will just accelerate a dialogue with the B10 on a partnership which I think would be successful in keeping FSU, Clemson and others happy as well.

Circling back to Uconn. We are the perfect fit to compliment the VA move to B1G.

1) We bookend the megalopolis which is completely necessary if the B1G wants to have some leverage on east coast cable operators. Rutgers and MD alone will not give the B1G the leverage to jack up carriage fees. Two more schools are absolutely necessary. Critical mass must be established.
2) The addition of UConn would boost the B1G’s ability to use MSG. I don’t think the B1G conf tournament would be conducted there, but you could have other early season tournys and other events. Say what you want about MSG, the B1G must have events at MSG if it wants to have a meaningful presence on the east coast. Events at MSG draw the big money boosters and the media and boost the brand. Rutgers alone wont deliver meaningful events at MSG.
3) Its clear Malloy and Herbst are pulling out all the stops to elevate the school. This is sure to aid Delany in convincing skeptics within the B1G of CT's commitment for greatness both academically and in sports. If you are sitting in the B1G right now you have to be impress with their commitment to invest and secure greatness.

My gut is that the B1G is exploring UNC and UVA and others in the south, but in the they will find the others aren’t coming and so we fit the bill as Plan B.

RMoore1999

Reaction Score
What I've been told repeatedly by people who would know.

I wrote about it in a couple of other threads since this particular board started.

I do not not doubt that UConn is trying to gain the attention of the Big Ten, but to date, there has been no interest.

Accounts of the Rutgers B1G courtship strongly insinuated that, until the last few days prior to the announcement, only Barchi and Pernitti were involved in discussions with Delaney. BOT was not in the loop.

So hopefully Herbst and Warde are not members of your Den of Idiots, and those that are, are out of the loop...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big Ten has a nifty weapon to loosen teams from the ACC perch.

Money. Gobs and gobs of money.

ACC partisans keep trying to minimize it by saying that the Big Ten cash is just a projection while issuing their own wishcasts for their imaginary and unlikely network. But it's real...and the conference is due to renegotiate their Tier 1 stuff as well. The SEC and Big Ten will be swinging a bigger stick than the ACC can.

But I agree - some schools won't go no matter how much they're offered - unless, of course, the conference starts to look unstable.

What if the Big Ten just decided to go for four schools instead of two? UNC, Duke, UVa and GaTech.

I think a move like that would be the end of the game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Accounts of the Rutgers B1G courtship strongly insinuated that, until the last few days prior to the announcement, only Barchi and Pernitti were involved in discussions with Delaney. BOT was not in the loop.

So hopefully Herbst and Warde are not members of your Den of Idiots, and those that are, are out of the loop...

With respect to Rutgers, its seems logical to me that their BOT would be in the dark and clueless about the B1G invite. In contrast, I would think the boards at UNC, GT and others would be more involved. There was never any risk of rejection from the BOT for Rutgers invite to the B1G as it is a clear winner. For the ACC schools, with all the internet rumors, they must be completely involved - at least in dealing with unsolicited and solicited opinions from politicians, boosters, alumni, faculty, etc on CAR and I bet the opinions run 50/50 which makes this a much more stressful situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom