Spanos out | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Spanos out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mora's first failure. Let's see how he and the team responds. If the defense was not on the same page....I guess you could say the silver lining is that hopefully this will fix the problem. Might as well rip off the band-aid instead of letting the situation fester.

It's a super weird situation...I honestly cannot think of an example of this happening before.

Good test for the "brotherhood" concept.

Even scarier. The defense has appeared better than the offense.

I wonder how all those people expecting 5-6 wins are feeling today.

Reaction Score
Just to point out both things can be somewhat accurate (personal reasons/staff conflict). Stress manifests differently for different people.
Spot on here... Shout out to you as well @Exit 4 for the additional info ( gotta give kudos to @ramfy too for the initial find )...

Fact is we're still a work in progress, so we gotta keep expecting the unexpected at this point... There's always gonna be resistance when an old and new regime interact...

Reaction Score
Mora's first failure. Let's see how he and the team responds. If the defense was not on the same page....I guess you could say the silver lining is that hopefully this will fix the problem. Might as well rip off the band-aid instead of letting the situation fester.

It's a super weird situation...I honestly cannot think of an example of this happening before.

You guys are some tough cookies in year 1, coming in on week 0, on the road, against a top 25 team, in an environment we're not used to breathing in...

Reaction Score

The first failure was striking out on the 3 other DCs Mora wanted.

Reaction Score
This is clearly a "you're either with us or you're against us moment".

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Spot on here... Shout out to you as well @Exit 4 for the additional info ( gotta give kudos to @ramfy too for the initial find )...

Fact is we're still a work in progress, so we gotta keep expecting the unexpected at this point... There's always gonna be resistance when an old and new regime interact...
wow. Shameless.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

There is a book here in the game of thrones we have had vying for head coach of this program over the past 12 months.
  • Edsall struggles to find coaches...takes on just one that could possibly dethrone him in Spanos.
  • Spanos dethrones Edsall 8 days into the season. Whether he encouraged the kids or the kids encouraged him I do not know for sure, but ultimately pleaded to AD David Benedict to have Edsall step down and immediately in a bid to save the season
  • Spanos tries to bring the positive sunny vibes to the team...results improve some, but is it enough?
  • Mora enters the discussion... Spanos vs Mora in October...who really supported who in those courting days before Mora was named HC. White lies surely abound.
  • End of season - entire Edsall staff dismissed...
  • All coaching positions filled by Mora in reasonable time frame...but for DC which oddly lags for a long while.
  • Ultimately Spanos is named DC... A DC Mora fired once before. Why he wasn't named at the end of the season is never answered.
  • Spring ball - Spanos is present...but certainly taking a backseat to Mora and even Charlton.
  • Fall camp - Hype videos abound...Spanos sightings rare.... Hmmm.
  • Spanos takes a leave of absence for personal reasons a week before the start of the season... Rumors of tension circulate.

If I had to speculate, Spanos does have issues to tend too....and yet its also true that perhaps Spanos has not deployed the D that Mora has dictated.....

Reaction Score
The OP probably had it right. The real question is what the exact details are. If Lou has been dealing with some stressful personal matters and lost his cool with the players and/or other coaches it is one thing. Mora may have told him to take a little time to handle things and come back ready to coach. If there are big philosophical and practical issues, that's another issue entirely.
3 months is the whole season

Reaction Score
There is a book here in the game of thrones we have had vying for head coach of this program over the past 12 months.
  • Edsall struggles to find coaches...takes on just one that could possibly dethrone him in Spanos.
  • Spanos dethrones Edsall 8 days into the season. Whether he encouraged the kids or the kids encouraged him I do not know for sure, but ultimately pleaded to AD David Benedict to have Edsall step down and immediately in a bid to save the season
  • Spanos tries to bring the positive sunny vibes to the team...results improve some, but is it enough?
  • Mora enters the discussion... Spanos vs Mora in October...who really supported who in those courting days before Mora was named HC. White lies surely abound.
  • End of season - entire Edsall staff dismissed...
  • All coaching positions filled by Mora in reasonable time frame...but for DC which oddly lags for a long while.
  • Ultimately Spanos is named DC... A DC Mora fired once before. Why he wasn't named at the end of the season is never answered.
  • Spring ball - Spanos is present...but certainly taking a backseat to Mora and even Charlton.
  • Fall camp - Hype videos abound...Spanos sightings rare.... Hmmm.
  • Spanos takes a leave of absence for personal reasons a week before the start of the season... Rumors of tension circulate.

If I had to speculate, Spanos does have issues to tend too....and yet its also true that perhaps Spanos has not deployed the D that Mora has dictated.....

You were one of the guys last year who said taking a season off would make us better.

You should sit this one out.

Reaction Score
The truth will come out. If he's right, he's right. Spanos worked for Mora before, it's not like any of what Mora demands was new for him. You'd expect some fundamental incompatibility would have shown up sooner. If not, then this is a fail by Mora, who should have identified it earlier or hired somebody else.
I think we all knew Spanos never should've been hired.

Reaction Score
Is leaving DC of a top 15 UCLA team to be linebackers coach in the NFL (Bengals) a promotion, lateral move or demotion? I don't think he was fired, but the fact he left a successful 2-year stint under Mora for I think an at-best lateral move was a red flag then and seems to be showing up now.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Where it gets interesting is the players reaction to this move. I have to believe there are a few older players on defense that are "Spanos" guys--hope this doesn't divide the locker room at all into "new regime" v "old regime".

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You were one of the guys last year who said taking a season off would make us better.

You should sit this one out.
I've been wrong. I was certainly wrong about sitting the season out.... it didnt benefit us. I've always tried to put a positive spin on things, that is true. If you don't like it then just put me on ignore.

I don't understand your antagonistic posts towards me these days. Seems like its coming from someplace - not sure where.

Reaction Score
I'm going stay positive and say this wasn't anything more than a personal family matter as stated by the press release. No details yet state otherwise. The players liked Spanos and he's a good DC despite being consistently chained by Edsall's cronies on offense and Edsall's terrible mentality. He has the results to show it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Conspiracy Kitty says:
I don’t want to tell tails out of school, I’ve been hearing that Lou Spanos is taking a leave of absence through the end of the season for personal reasons. I just got a confirmation personally delivered to my phone from ESPN.

6503442D-E5CB-484D-97FC-B5A6A848ED8D.jpeg

Reaction Score
wow. Shameless.
What's so shameless about what I said? Just wondering... for somebody that offers nothing but judging everyone else's comment on here... I've never seen you bring any info other than judging comments made... IMO, that's shameless... spineless even...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom