South Carolina goes down | Page 3 | The Boneyard

South Carolina goes down

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
NC State played what used to be and still is typical SEC defense: Clog the middle and force the guards and wings to shoot perimeter shots or drive into length. Cooke and Henderson shot a combined 4-31. SCar had a total of 9 assists for the game. Again, and yes, Boston shot poorly, but back court leadership was severely lacking. Dawn has a lot of work to do. Let's understand however, having talent doesn't mean you win. It takes certain types of talent, a coach that recognizes that talent, and good coaching. Why is Geno the best coach in WCBB? This game tells you why.

Reaction Score
Just goes to show how important SC guards were last season.

Absolutely, reminds of an interview Coach Auriemma did a while back where he said he would take an AA guard over an AA post player any day of the week, because the guard will handle the ball far more during the game and especially in crunch time, a guard can create on their own and they don't need anybody to get them the ball like a post does.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm just happy it didn't go into overtime, both teams DID NOT help non women's basketball fans. The both looked like the young ladies that play the halftime games during a UConn game.

This Gamecock team certainly did not resemble the one UConn played last year. They looked average, not like the number one team in the country. Who will be the new number one next week?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
This Gamecock team certainly did not resemble the one UConn played last year. They looked average, not like the number one team in the country. Who will be the new number one next week?
Stanford, UConn, NC St, Louisville, Baylor are my top 5.

Reaction Score
NC State played what used to be and still is typical SEC defense: Clog the middle and force the guards and wings to shoot perimeter shots or drive into length. Cooke and Henderson shot a combined 4-31. SCar had a total of 9 assists for the game. Again, and yes, Boston shot poorly, but back court leadership was severely lacking. Dawn has a lot of work to do. Let's understand however, having talent doesn't mean you win. It takes certain types of talent, a coach that recognizes that talent, and good coaching. Why is Geno the best coach in WCBB? This game tells you why.

This is why I have always countered the argument that UCONN lost in 16-17 and 17-18 because of size when nothing mentioned about the gurad play. Even someone as good as Boston needs good guard play.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
The talent is there for South Carolina...but the leadership on the court is sorely missed. This was as ugly a woman's game as I have seen in a while. Not fun to watch either team. This year is going to be a strange one from ever point.

Reaction Score
My top 10: Louisville, Baylor, Stanford, NC State, Texas A&M, Miss State, South Carolina, Kentucky, UCONN, Oregon.

Reaction Score
South Carolina's win streak halted at 29 as NC State secures third-ever victory over a No. 1
The top-ranked South Carolina women's basketball team saw their 29-game winning streak end Thursday at home in Columbia, South Carolina, as the Gamecocks were upset 54-46 by No. 8 NC State.

Was this loss truly an upset? SC was likely overrated as they lost AT HOME by 10 to a good team.
SC's last two games, although wins, were not overly impressive:
Sat, Nov 28vs South Dakota South Dakota *W81-71
Sun, Nov 29vs Gonzaga 21 Gonzaga *W79-72

I seem to remember Dawn's early Aja Wilson teams having poor guard play and little offensive cohesion. It took the incoming transfer of two seasoned guards to get them a NC.

Reaction Score
Cook had a really bad game. Her shot selection was poor and she was off on any decent shot. She is a good outside shooter. They really miss Harris and Harrigan. They were their two best players last year. Boston only scored against Liv with two plays essentially. They ran a screen for her on the baseline for a couple of baskets and she hit a couple of elbow shots. Against players of the same height, she struggles. We can beat them this year our defense can shut them down.

Reaction Score
[/QThe Tree

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It struck me that Dawn gave up on her offense during the second half when she went to a lineup that included Boston, Amihere & Grissett up front. The goal, I guess, was to pound the ball into the paint and rebound, an old strategy borrowed from Pat Summit? To NC St’s credit, the smaller Wolfpack battled tremendously on the boards and hit just enough shots to pull off the upset.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if any of the schools are posting post game press conferences? I could not find anything on the SC/NCS game or ND/Michgan game.

Reaction Score
Boston looked out of shape, and certainly didn’t move as well as I’ve seen her in the past. The highlight of the evening was Andy Landers lack of shoe black on his hair, and going with a more natural look. He did, once again, mangle Olivia’s last name, and butchered Paige’s, also. I wonder if he does any pre-game prep.

Reaction Score
It struck me that Dawn gave up on her offense during the second half when she went to a lineup that included Boston, Amihere & Grissett up front. The goal, I guess, was to pound the ball into the paint and rebound, an old strategy borrowed from Pat Summit? To NC St’s credit, the smaller Wolfpack battled tremendously on the boards and hit just enough shots to pull off the upset.
It was like she gave up on Beal and Saxton. Amihere was their best player on the floor last night and she still struggled without a clear offensive strategy. Beal's body language in particular was troublesome. Just seemed like she was showing "I don't want to be here because this is a mess and I'm taking no responsibility..."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

and this is why I do not have this 'size' envy that dominates so many. Skilled unselfish guards that want to pass first, wings who can do many things and stretch the court and posts who can cut, move, screen and pass.

And on defense, positioning and intelligent team defense and pressure on guards trying to pass into the post will neutralize that threat more often than not.

Reaction Score
It was like she gave up on Beal and Saxton. Amihere was their best player on the floor last night and she still struggled without a clear offensive strategy. Beal's body language in particular was troublesome. Just seemed like she was showing "I don't want to be here because this is a mess and I'm taking no responsibility..."

I noticed their absence as well. I chalked it up to those players’ limited offensive versatility (not that offense of any kind was abundant last night). Cooke and Henderson really selected poor shots and I think Dawn went with the only players capable of getting a bucket.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
IMO, this SC team, while really good, is not up to the level of last year's team. they lost two key performers in HH and Ty. This year, they could be hard pressed to repeat last year. They lost 30% of their scoring and 43% of their assists and I don't see where they can make it up. They added Littleton and #43 Russell. The big key is the missing 43% assists because Boston needs someone to get her the ball and their 2 point guards barely average a 1-1 ato ratio. This year they'll be good but I think they will lose a few more games than last year. they have enough to win the SEC and probably a FF berth.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It was a bad game for both teams. Lack of guard play which is handleing the team (leadership) and passing wasnt there. Cleary SC is missing their graduates from last season who were their leaders Not hitting their outside shots lead to packing in the defense and not allowing the bigs to score. Another point not being able to create their own shots from the outside left both teams unable to score. Too much one on one and rushed shots. Guard play especially point guard play and good passing was lacking by both teams. NC State is a team that grinds and never lets up. SC imo seemed a little lost trying to run their offense and thats because of the kids who graduated who were the leaders on the team last season. SC will struggle this season against good teams because of their lack of leadership. This has been true in their first 3 games.

Now look at UConn when they had Sue and Diana and Diana and Maria and MoJeff and Renee etc and look at this season. UConn has passers, shooters and scorers. We have Evina CW Paige and Nika at the guards. We have Anna who is a really good passer and her knowledge of the game is second to none. Pretty good passers and shooters and for the most part we havent seen them play yet. I keep reading threads where fans are saying Gee this team has so many bigs. Well most teams can only play one or two bigs at a time and if those bigs are not good passers or ball handlers well then theyre just trees that sway in the wind. One other point having all those bigs sitting the bench does absolutely no good. Fans are so impressed with height. How many teams have won multiple NC's with bigs and how many have won NC's without a lot of bigs other then UConn? Hey every team can have an off night and with whats going on in sports today that is very true. I expect UConn to excel this season because of the UConn coaching staff having the players ready. Yeah UConn is number 1 this season and I believe the fear factor of playing UConn will be back this season.

Reaction Score
I think the producers should just train him to say Paige and spell it PAGE in the teleprompter.

Andy's lack of preparation for his television appearances is astonishing. I get mispronouncing the names of a substitute on a small program, but not being able to get the names right of stars on the biggest program in the country? Come on, put some effort in.

Reaction Score
Boston looked gassed for portions of the game. There was so much clutter in the lane she had little room to operate in. But man she is a beast, I hope Olivia has beefed up a bit to handle that.
SC looks similar to their team early last year but without a strong point guard or PG depth. Until about mid season last year, Boston seemed to be carrying extra weight and could not run hard an entire game. Boston ran better later in the year, SC offense spread the floor better, getting her more one on one opportunities. I am not letting one game greatly influence my thoughts on SC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom