South Carolina Game Canceled; UConn @ Depaul Wed Jan 26 (merged thread) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Game Canceled; UConn @ Depaul Wed Jan 26 (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is what's best for both teams. I'm a little surprised that Geno didn't start the conversation knowing UConn had 4 games cancelled (postponed).

As a few probably thought and may even have said, another beatdown on national TV would not be good for the UConn brand.

Reaction Score
As for the fans who bought tickets for the SC-CT game, I'm sure they get to keep vouchers for next season's postponement, and the game should be a more evenly matched game. Most of both teams' rosters would return, would be healthier (esp. in CT's part) and both teams should still be powerhouse teams in the discussion to win it all next season. Just have to wait a year.

And for national WBB fans, we got to see both teams play each other when both were relatively healthy, and there's a still a strong chance of seeing them battle it out in the NCAAT later on, so....
Ummmm....those tickets are to used for this week's game. Don't think any vouchers will be given out.

Reaction Score
As for the fans who bought tickets for the SC-CT game, I'm sure they get to keep vouchers for next season's postponement, and the game should be a more evenly matched game. Most of both teams' rosters would return, would be healthier (esp. in CT's part) and both teams should still be powerhouse teams in the discussion to win it all next season. Just have to wait a year.

And for national WBB fans, we got to see both teams play each other when both were relatively healthy, and there's a still a strong chance of seeing them battle it out in the NCAAT later on, so....

If you have the tickets for the Uconn game, those will be used to get into the Ole Miss game so no refunds or vouchers.
I have 3 tickets if any SC fan are looking for any.:)

Reaction Score
If you have the tickets for the Uconn game, those will be used to get into the Ole Miss game so no refunds or vouchers.
I have 3 tickets if any SC fan are looking for any.:)
Thanks on behalf of our fanbase.

300 mile drive is too much for me to see Ole Miss.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Unlikely. She was a freshman in 89 and Geno left in 85. I don’t think 7th & 8th graders were being recruited back then like they are now.

I think Dawn was a freshman in 1988-89. Geno may have been looking at her in 1984-85 as a high school freshman, but there was not much recruiting going on for a player that young. That said, both Geno and Dawn spent some years in the same program, even if not overlapping.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm ok with the cancellation. I think S.C. would have been a tough challenge for us with key players out. Plus, we already played them once this season. Beating S.C. would have really helped our seeding, but a more likely 15-point loss might have lowered our seeding. DePaul is a more appropriate challenge for us when key players are missing. Wednesday's game on the road will be tough. Let's win every game possible and let others drop in seedings as they lose conference games.

Reaction Score
As to rescheduling Big East Conference games, I would like to see being @ Georgetown on Tuesday, 2/15/22, and @ Villanova on Wednesday, 2/16/22, and Marquette @ Gampel (or the XL center if it is available) on Tuesday 2/22/22 [at 2:22 p.m. & AE scores 22 pts on 11 of 11 shooting (alll layups and put backs)].

That would get all of the postponed games back on the slate, after Azzi, and (hopefully) PB iare back on the court at full speed.

vaeman

CT transplant to DMV
Reaction Score
you do realize they were full strength when South Carolina won right?
Not exactly. Two key player pieces played limited minutes...Azzi only played 10 minutes and Niki played 3 minutes. Also Aubrey and CD didn't play at all.

Reaction Score
Not exactly. Two key player pieces played limited minutes...Azzi only played 10 minutes and Niki played 3 minutes. Also Aubrey and CD didn't play at all.
But other than Aubrey everyone was available. Isn't that basically "full strength?"

vaeman

CT transplant to DMV
Reaction Score
Dawn did Geno a favor. She has a lot of respect for Geno & the UConn program and did not want to see UConn embarrassed on National TV due to their unfortunate circumstances. Props to her.
I don't buy that as her motivation. I suspect Dawn would look for any and all opportunities to soundly beat UConn given how many times UConn has dominated them (and every other program) historically.

Reaction Score
As to rescheduling Big East Conference games, I would like to see being @ Georgetown on Tuesday, 2/15/22, and @ Villanova on Wednesday, 2/16/22, and Marquette @ Gampel (or the XL center if it is available) on Tuesday 2/22/22 [at 2:22 p.m. & AE scores 22 pts on 11 of 11 shooting (alll layups and put backs)].

That would get all of the postponed games back on the slate, after Azzi, and (hopefully) PB iare back on the court at full speed.
Seems unlikely any more games are rescheduled unless we replace the Tennessee game. February has 10 games scheduled in 25 days which puts us at the max game limit of 3 per week.

vaeman

CT transplant to DMV
Reaction Score
But other than Aubrey everyone was available. Isn't that basically "full strength?"
How is it full strength when Nika and Azzi were injured...just not diagnosed? And Caroline had not played any meaningful minutes in the previous 3 games. Think about it. Look at how Niki and CD are playing now.

Reaction Score
I suppose I understand her reasons..but it is kind of last minute if this all went down this week...

Reaction Score
I suppose I understand her reasons..but it is kind of last minute if this all went down this week...
I’m sure this wasn’t as simple as “Hey Geno, can we cancel our game (that is under CONTRACT) so we can make up a conference game?”. Think of all the logistics of putting on an event of this size. We are tied with Ole Miss right now and both of us are a half game behind Tennessee. This isn’t something that could have waited to the end.
I assure you Dawn didn’t want to give up a nationally televised game with 15 - 18,000 fans in attendance against powerhouse UConn. She absolutely loves this game and uses it as a showcase for her program.

Reaction Score
Maybe ESPN sent a little message to quash this. A 30 pt MOV game with UConn potentially unable to even make the team minimum of players? Move another game into the time slot?
I'll take that bet..........It would be more comp[etitive than you think. We would be the underdog, but not by much.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Thursday night's game between top-ranked South Carolina women's basketball and No. 9 Connecticut has been called off as the former needs to find a date to make up its matchup with Ole Miss, originally scheduled for Jan. 2. South Carolina coach Dawn Staley said the team wants to prioritize conference play to remain in the running for the SEC title."

This is some BS

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Unlikely. She was a freshman in 89 and Geno left in 85. I don’t think 7th & 8th graders were being recruited back then like they are now.
Auriemma and Staley are now coaching colleagues -- on the U.S. national team staff, he is the head coach and Staley an assistant -- but he first knew about her when she was in junior high school and he was still an assistant at Virginia.

"It's like she was the original Mo'ne Davis," Auriemma said of the Little League sensation who became nationally known in 2014. "From the time Dawn was in seventh or eighth grade, that's all anybody was talking about in girls' basketball. She had a reputation that preceded her when she got to Virginia [in 1988], and she was part of their greatest successes as a team

Reaction Score
I’m sure this wasn’t as simple as “Hey Geno, can we cancel our game (that is under CONTRACT) so we can make up a conference game?”. Think of all the logistics of putting on an event of this size. We are tied with Ole Miss right now and both of us are a half game behind Tennessee. This isn’t something that could have waited to the end.
I assure you Dawn didn’t want to give up a nationally televised game with 15 - 18,000 fans in attendance against powerhouse UConn. She absolutely loves this game and uses it as a showcase for her program.
sounds like you know her personally so I will defer to your apparent knowledge.

Reaction Score
Haha! Reading this once was funny. Reading it twice more caused me to literally choke on my coffee. Thanks for the laughter!

And I am a UCONN fan

Reaction Score
Although SC is much better than DePaul, I think it is more critical for CW to play in this game. SC is an inside oriented team, where as Depaul is a perimeter team that lives for the 3's. We will need another defensive minded guard in that game to try to slow them down. Nika and Evena playing 40 minutes will not be able to keep up with them. We may think playing DePaul instead of SC is a break, but let us not fool ourselves, it could be a pretty big challenge.
I totally agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104