South Carolina Game Canceled; UConn @ Depaul Wed Jan 26 (merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Game Canceled; UConn @ Depaul Wed Jan 26 (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a good thing... saves us a shorthanded loss...and makes us dangerous when we meet the Gamecocks at full strength in the tourney. :)
you do realize they were full strength when South Carolina won right?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

giggle.gif

Reaction Score
They will play Ole Miss and the Huskies will play DePaul on Wednesday

Reaction Score
I don't think Dawn Staley wants to beat UConn twice during the regular season, giving UConn all kinds of motivation to beat SC in late March/April after everyone is healthy.

SC is giving back a huge gate. Two years ago the were 18,000 people at the UConn game. Something just doesn't smell right

Reaction Score
I don't think Dawn Staley wants to beat UConn twice during the regular season, giving UConn all kinds of motivation to beat SC in late March/April after everyone is healthy.

SC is giving back a huge gate. Two years ago the were 18,000 people at the UConn game. Something just doesn't smell right
I’ll drink what you’ve having...

Reaction Score
Does Tenn have any games to make up that were cancelled/postponed?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Well, you would be wrong.

This game wouldn't have helped either team. DePaul is more of a measuring stick for where UCONN is right now.
Although SC is much better than DePaul, I think it is more critical for CW to play in this game. SC is an inside oriented team, where as Depaul is a perimeter team that lives for the 3's. We will need another defensive minded guard in that game to try to slow them down. Nika and Evena playing 40 minutes will not be able to keep up with them. We may think playing DePaul instead of SC is a break, but let us not fool ourselves, it could be a pretty big challenge.

Reaction Score
Ok, I won't lecture you on the evils of binge drinking because I think your post was tongue in cheek.
As presently constituted, UCONN is not exactly a powerhouse in WCBB. Even though I type this, I still have the bad taste for saying it.
Watching another one sided beat down, would not be my idea of entertainment. If the SC game was on, the Huskies would just have to suit up and do the best they could.
I think getting a shot at DePaul right now would be a better test for them. I imagine Doug Bruno and his crew are licking their chops for an opportunity to play UCONN, at home, when the odds are even.
The Big East crown might be in play this season. Let's nail that down with the troops we have.
Plenty of time for Paige, Azzi to get healthy and be ready to play (please) and contribute come March.
Dawn's team isn't going away as they will probably be an obstacle to the NC for a few years.

Reaction Score
I'm good with this. One less probable loss. I was anxious to see the new Liv play Boston but the officiating would likely not be even handed down there. Plus, we are worn down. We need to regroup and get healthy as soon as we can. Let's just win out from here including UT and get a 2 seed ( or a 3 if necessary) and cause some major chaos.
ONO has always played Boston well defensively. I get the SEC channels where I live and I suspect Boston was not looking forward to Liv guarding her.

Reaction Score
We just had one of those last Monday.
I totally agree with Staley, conference games mean a whole lot more than nonconference games. Uconn should be
focused on winning the BE.With what Uconn has left of a team, this game against Depaul at this time is more winable
then traveling to SC and getting thumped by 30 plus points.A win at Depaul will go a long way for the program as Uconn stars to get healthier in the second half of the season. Still have Tenn left on the schedule which is playing great basketball, that will be our next big test to see where we really are among the best.

Reaction Score
As a Gamecock fan, I'm extremely disappointed. I took Thursday and Friday off this week so I could get to the game early and not have to rush after work. Of course, if you take Thursday off, you also have to take Friday off, lol.
See that's the difference between the two programs. A UCONN fan would be at work bright and early on Friday, trying to improve every aspect of their work and career. Also, it's pay day.

Reaction Score
They’re long time friend, fellow Philadelphians. I’m pretty sure he recruited Dawn to Virginia when he was an assistant there

Unlikely. She was a freshman in 89 and Geno left in 85. I don’t think 7th & 8th graders were being recruited back then like they are now.

Reaction Score
I just appreciate all of the coaches in this situation. Coach Staley reaching out to Coach Auriemma and Coach Auriemma understanding and seeing the Big picture and how important the SEC is to South Carolina and getting those games, if possible, rescheduled. Same with our UConn program. Whatever games we can get. Huge shout out to Coach Bruno and Coach McPhee-McCuin.

Reaction Score
I actually would not be surprised if the TN game got canceled as well - OOC games are not as important as conference games and Uconn currently has three more of those that were 'postponed/canceled'. Yes, Uconn's OOC is much more interesting than the conference games in general but the first things to win each year are the conference regular season and conference titles. For teams in more competitive conferences it is even more important to get the conference games in.
Unless one of these teams can't field the minimum players...can't see this happening. From UCONN's perspective...they would be accused of avoiding TN to avoid losing. Their fans already believe they are in the midst of climbing back to national prominence. They already think UCONN is afraid of them. They already believe they have closed the gap because of UCONN's close win in TN last year when they couldn't pull off a win against a bunch of underclassmen that played one of their worst games.

From the TN perspective, whether they admit it or not, if they plan on beating UCONN, the conditions aren't going to get any better...than right now. Their lone '22 recruit, Justine Pissott, IS NOT going to make them better than UCONN. And with all the UCONN adversity, the game at home, and no SEC refereeing (no you can not hand check or armbar perimeter players)...they better take this shot. Why wouldn't they jump all over a chance at a win against a ranked opponent? Has no bearing on their SEC standings.

Both teams...need to ensure this game happens. I already firmly believe that the whole 2007 NCAA complaint what just a pretext to save face so that TN could opt out of the rivalry...while UCONN was dominating. As much as they like to blame GENO for everything...I don't think it's coincident their program struggled starting the following year.

Reaction Score
Concerned that the team will have a letdown, thinking Depaul is a guaranteed win. If UConn only has 6 that play and stands around on offense as it did St. Johns, could be a very interesting game.

Reaction Score
ONO has always played Boston well defensively. I get the SEC channels where I live and I suspect Boston was not looking forward to Liv guarding her.
Hopefully they will get to see each other in the FF or NC. Liv is such a different player now and if the officiating is fair it will be a great match up that Liv can win.

Reaction Score
Does Tenn have any games to make up that were cancelled/postponed?
No, and that's the big reason Dawn cancelled the UCONN game.

Tennessee has one more game than SCar. Plus, SCar has 1 conference loss. If we do not make up the Ole Miss game, we could beat Tennessee and have the same number of conference losses - but still lose the SEC regular season championship to them because we would have one less win.

Reaction Score
Covid should not be used as a negation against a team's playing number, by the NCAA. This a medical issue preventing competing teams playing against each other thru no fault of their own. However, dealing with the NCAA is another issue !

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think it’s only fair that you share whatever it is that you’re smoking.

I think it’s only fair that you share whatever it is that you’re smoking.
What do you mean by this statement? What about my post is hard to believe?

Reaction Score
Boston dropped 22 pts and 15 rbds on ONO last time out. I recall that ONO had an early block or two on her, but I wouldn't call this playing her well defensively.

In 3 games, Boston is averaging 17.3 pts and 14 rbs vs. ONO's 7.3 pts and 7 rbs. No disrespect to ONO, but I don't think Boston was the least bit concerned about the fact that ONO would be defending her.

Reaction Score
Although SC is much better than DePaul, I think it is more critical for CW to play in this game. SC is an inside oriented team, where as Depaul is a perimeter team that lives for the 3's. We will need another defensive minded guard in that game to try to slow them down. Nika and Evena playing 40 minutes will not be able to keep up with them. We may think playing DePaul instead of SC is a break, but let us not fool ourselves, it could be a pretty big challenge.
I could agree in this regard. SC is a much better team And Depaul at times can be a pain in the butnick to play. Yes, they have beaten Uconn. I always enjoy these games, starting with their coach. Depaul maximizes their talent, hides their faults, and always plays hard. What is not to like in playing DePaul. With our without CW Uconn will win this game. The 5 that stated this past game can win over DePaul.

Reaction Score
I doubt she was, I think she looks forward to these sort of matchups.

Reaction Score
Ok, I won't lecture you on the evils of binge drinking because I think your post was tongue in cheek.
As presently constituted, UCONN is not exactly a powerhouse in WCBB. Even though I type this, I still have the bad taste for saying it.
Watching another one sided beat down, would not be my idea of entertainment. If the SC game was on, the Huskies would just have to suit up and do the best they could.
I think getting a shot at DePaul right now would be a better test for them. I imagine Doug Bruno and his crew are licking their chops for an opportunity to play UCONN, at home, when the odds are even.
The Big East crown might be in play this season. Let's nail that down with the troops we have.
Plenty of time for Paige, Azzi to get healthy and be ready to play (please) and contribute come March.
Dawn's team isn't going away as they will probably be an obstacle to the NC for a few years.
It's a win, win, win. I can get drunk on every weekend and it is not binge drinking, it is regular drinking. Thanks
Then playing dePaul is not a certain loss. Bruno is fun to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104