Source: Kevin Ollie believes he deserved one more chance next season (Borges) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Source: Kevin Ollie believes he deserved one more chance next season (Borges)

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
KO didn’t deserve another chance because he blew it off the court. He needs to accept that and settle or risk soiling his good name for future opportunities.

Soiling his name, how exactly?

Reaction Score
Soiling his name, how exactly?

His reputation is already severely tarnished. He was beloved, now people just want him to be completely out of the picture. I know you will argue otherwise, but it's the truth.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
His reputation is already severely tarnished. He was beloved, now people just want him to be completely out of the picture. I know you will argue otherwise, but it's the truth.

No.
Not good enough. That poster said Ollie was risking soiling his reputation by not already agreeing to a settlement. I want to know why he (or now you) thinks that.

Reaction Score
No.
Not good enough. That poster said Ollie was risking soiling his reputation by not already agreeing to a settlement. I want to know why he (or now you) thinks that.
I don't care what he does from here on out, although I will bet you a trip to Arby's that a compromise settlement is reached.

If you don't think his on and off court actions over the past 2 to 4 years have tarnished what was a great reputation, I don't know what to tell you. I bet you even view him differently than you did 2 years ago.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I don't care what he does from here on out, although I will bet you a trip to Arby's that a compromise settlement is reached.

If you don't think his on and off court actions over the past 2 to 4 years have tarnished what was a great reputation, I don't know what to tell you. I bet you even view him differently than you did 2 years ago.

This isnt about performance. Which of course was lacking. I want to know why that poster said that because he didnt already accept a settlement that he will be tarnished.

Reaction Score
This isnt about performance. Which of course was lacking. I want to know why that poster said that because he didnt already accept a settlement that he will be tarnished.

I can't speak to that as I believe KO has to do what is in his best interests from here on out. None of this is unexpected. The two sides are doing what they need to do. My personal belief is that a compromise settlement will be reached.

Reaction Score
No one is posting how they could tarnish his reputation. When people have, it has been deleted. Anyone spending as much time on the board as most involved in this discussion knows the rumors. The big question is what’s true and what isn’t. I’ve come to believe that a couple of them are true. I don’t know for certain, but some of the same stuff has come from different people.

Reaction Score
Isn't it obvious that if there is a legal fight there is discovery and it will be public. Wrongdoing, personal matters everything is suddenly out in the open. I don't care if you are Dudley DoRight there's risk to that. If Dudley is doing everything right but still underperforming at his job the risk of publicly documenting that is career threatening.
Just a few articles about Al Skinner being fired from BC for being lazy kept him out of coaching for 3yrs, finally getting a job as an assistant at Bryant University. Skinner's story defines tarnished.

From the BGlobe: As to that perception that he didn’t work as hard as he should have, Skinner said, “I was really surprised the legs it had. I would have hoped my reputation would have been able to withstand that."

Reaction Score
I am not one to dismiss Kevin Ollie. But ... absolutely NOT: We got blown out (by more than 20 points) 8+ times. We were often, simply, NOT COMPETITIVE. Go learn more about the Profession and how to teach/coach young men. NBA or whatever. You are still young and can rebound and rise.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought this, too, at first; but after thinking about it some more, I'm guessing that it is frequently the case at many state schools that many coaches are also teachers. For example, Larry Tsantiris, UConn women's soccer head coach, also taught soccer as a class for undergraduates. I don't know if he still does, but he did in the 80s.
Geno, Dailey and Calhoun all did as well. That was before their contracts made them multi-millionaires and limited their duties to just coaching.

88, under CT law can two parties expressly agree not to be subject to the CBA? Alternatively, can UConn define being a head coach as a management position outside of the teachers CBA?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
None of this should be a surprise. The original ESPN article said Ollie was fighting for his job. He does not think he should be fired. The union's statement that he is suspended without pay is further evidence that Ollie has every intention of being UConn's head basketball coach next year and the union seems to support that. I believe DB and Susan knew this going in.

We will know in a few days how this will play out, unless the union plays games with dates to postpone things. I hear that game has already started.

Reaction Score
We will know in a few days how this will play out, unless the union plays games with dates to postpone things. I hear that game has already started.

? It’s in the article...

>>That means this process could drag on for at least a couple of weeks, perhaps a month. In fact, UConn has already suggested a few dates for the initial hearing with Benedict that weren’t amenable to the union. That hearing likely won’t occur until late next week — and perhaps even after the March 24 deadline, if the two parties can’t find a mutual date and agree to an extension.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Alternatively, can UConn define being a head coach as a management position outside of the teachers CBA?

Not unilaterally - subject of bargaining.

Reaction Score

>>One thing is sure: Ollie is not getting his job back. The only issue at hand is money, and whether or not Ollie gets all, some or none of the nearly $11 million left on his contract.<<

>>“If they hire someone, that person goes into the collective bargaining agreement. I don’t know what title he’d have,” Bailey said. “I don’t know if you could have two coaches at the same time. It would be awkward. We’ll see how they proceed with this.”<<

>>“They have to do what they need to do, I suppose,” Bailey said. “They’ve begun their search, that’s their prerogative. But right now, Kevin is suspended with pay. They’re not gonna hire somebody tomorrow or next week. Not until this is said and done.”

Benedict would not comment, but sources at UConn seem to believe the school could make a hire before Ollie’s situation is resolved.<<

(More in article)

NO HE DOES NOT !!!!

Reaction Score
None of this should be a surprise. The original ESPN article said Ollie was fighting for his job. He does not think he should be fired. The union's statement that he is suspended without pay is further evidence that Ollie has every intention of being UConn's head basketball coach next year and the union seems to support that. I believe DB and Susan knew this going in.

There is exactly zero chance Kevin Ollie will ever coach again at UConn.

Reaction Score
KO didn’t deserve another chance because he blew it off the court. He needs to accept that and settle or risk soiling his good name for future opportunities.
What did he blow off the court? Nothing has been proven only alleged if you mean the investigation.
As far as another chance it is time for UConn and KO to part ways. Our program needs a fresh start with a new coach and KO also needs a new environment.

Reaction Score
One thing I really didn't like is that Ollie rarely took responsibility for the failures of the team. He finally did after the last game of the season when he said he needed to do a better job preparing the team.

“C.V. says it's about the players, but it's about the coaching staff, too,” Ollie said. “How can I get these guys to play better and play together? … We don't want to be here. We don't want to be 14-18. And that's unacceptable and we have to get better in every category, and I'm on the top to evaluate myself. How I can get these guys to play better, how can I get my coaching staff to execute better and we're all in this together. So it's going to be a long evaluation for myself, my coaching staff, my team.”

2 years too late and lots of missing opportunities!!! Sad that it comes down to this. KO must be blind not to see that he headed the program in a death spiral.

Reaction Score

Because its a two way street. If UCONN risks looking bad by terminating him per the terms of the contract, he also runs the risk of potential employers (let alone fans) thinking he's only in the game for the money and not the results. His whole persona is "ten toes in", "loyalty", "dedication", "doing the right thing" but if he uses the terms of the contract to try to take money for torpedoing the program b/c its a guaranteed contract it will make him look like his ten toes are only in his employers wallet.

I don't think he thinks this way and its his option to do what he needs to do but there are consequences to every decision he makes. If he's willing to negotiate a reasonable settlement he'll be viewed as a reasonable guy.

Its actually different for the University b/c they have a fiduciary responsibility to the State of Connecticut and have to responsibly manage our money.

Reaction Score
Its actually different for the University b/c they have a fiduciary responsibility to the State of Connecticut and have to responsibly manage our money.[/QUOTE]
State of Connecticut, reasonably manage our money, fiduciary responsibility. Are you new here?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
If UCONN risks looking bad by terminating him per the terms of the contract, he also runs the risk of potential employers (let alone fans) thinking he's only in the game for the money and not the results.

No.

Nobody will ever think a coach trying to get the terms of a signed contract is "only in it for the money" . No one ever. Ridiculous.

Every single poster on this board would do the same.

Reaction Score
If KO has been personally and professionally adequate to get his full buyout, he should pursue it. However, if he hasn't been and there is any record of it, he risks that stuff leaving his employee file and getting out. It isn't worth it unless he knows there is nothing there. There have been quite a few rumors, if none are true, good for KO.

Reaction Score

Ollie and the union can think whatever they want. It is UConn's prerogative to terminate him if they so choose. The only thing at issue is his buyout.

Again, as I pointed out in a since deleted thread, the union does not dictate anything in this process. They can only appeal to another authority until those authorities have been exhausted. Their only real power is in their representation of 100s / 1000s of state employees. And there is zero chance the union can or will leverage that power on Kevin Ollie's behalf.

They also cannot dispute any agreement Kevin Ollie might come to with UConn for a reduced buyout. Their assertion otherwise is complete fiction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom