Source: Kevin Ollie believes he deserved one more chance next season (Borges) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Source: Kevin Ollie believes he deserved one more chance next season (Borges)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“If they hire someone, that person goes into the collective bargaining agreement. I don’t know what title he’d have,” Bailey said. “I don’t know if you could have two coaches at the same time. It would be awkward. We’ll see how they proceed with this.”

Why the freak is our head coach part of the teachers union?

Reaction Score
“If they hire someone, that person goes into the collective bargaining agreement. I don’t know what title he’d have,” Bailey said. “I don’t know if you could have two coaches at the same time. It would be awkward. We’ll see how they proceed with this.”

Been like this for decades (including Calhoun):

Connecticut State Statute requires all individuals, as designated by their work titles, to be represented by a bargaining agent to which they pay dues.“

Titles included/excluded in the AAUP are here in Article 1 & 2 on Page 1

C

Chief00

One thing I really didn't like is that Ollie rarely took responsibility for the failures of the team. He finally did after the last game of the season when he said he needed to do a better job preparing the team.

“C.V. says it's about the players, but it's about the coaching staff, too,” Ollie said. “How can I get these guys to play better and play together? … We don't want to be here. We don't want to be 14-18. And that's unacceptable and we have to get better in every category, and I'm on the top to evaluate myself. How I can get these guys to play better, how can I get my coaching staff to execute better and we're all in this together. So it's going to be a long evaluation for myself, my coaching staff, my team.”

All true until you get to the long evaluation process - it wasn’t long at all.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don’t understand - aren’t these two also soon to be gone?

Yeah, but they might be trying to keep the kid at the school in general, selling it. Chill might be in the running for an assistant job, and this is one good way to land it.

Ricky may have the same thoughts, and he'll also always be loyal to the core to UCONN.

Makes sense.

Reaction Score
That, and I love the bit about being without Larrier for a full year last year. Well, we had Larrier for a full year this year, and an even worse record. The injuries argument works when you’re team ends up ranked in the 60s, when the expectation w/out injuries were to be ranked in 35-40 range. But, when you’re team is ranked 178 range, the injury excuse starts sounding a bit strained. Water under the bridge of course

Reaction Score
because of injuries? Am I wrong thinking we only had one guy injured this season? One injured player should not equal a second losing season. I mean, I'll give him last year. Not much you can do when your entire team is injured. But this year? It smacks of incompetence.
We had three guys transfer and our leading recruit decommit .
That’s two maybe three starters .
Plus Larrier and Gilbert coming of very serious injury
The other guys were all freshman.
The article did say Injuries and transfers.
We started the season with two players with any time together .
Do you really think we wanted Cobb,Williams,DO and maybe even Anderson
That’s called desperation .
The reality was last years team with a healthy Adams was much better than this years non team .
Especially offensively. They were real thin with no back up ball handler but they we still more complete.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
because of our history and our years of success Ollie cannot get one more year, we have become too impatient of a fanbase, especially being in the AAC, we can't afford to risk losing everything UConn has built....but I do believe he deserves one.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

“The Huskies also lost three key players — shooter Vance Jackson and forwards Juwan Durham and Steve Enoch — to transfer following the ’16-17 season. The program’s top recruit, Makai Ashton-Langford, also was granted a release from his national letter-of-intent and wound up at Providence.” Still, Kevin takes no responsibility for the climate he created.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It's not my metaphor, but "I deserve another year to turn it around" sounds like escalator language.
By contrast, how would "I believe I've earned another year to walk this staircase to the top" sound in view of what you've witnessed over the past 12 or 5 or 2 months, or even more recently?

Reaction Score
Early in the year, I was in favor of giving him one last chance. As the season progressed, and I watched this team struggle with basic things like the inbounds pass, watched as DO got valuable minutes that could have gone toward developing players that would be here going forward, watched as we struggled on the boards and he insisted on using all 3 guards at once, I no longer felt he could come back. We basically sunk to a level where games against USF and ECU were toss ups and games against Cincinnati and Wichita were lock losses. UConn cannot settle for that.

Reaction Score
“The Huskies also lost three key players — shooter Vance Jackson and forwards Juwan Durham and Steve Enoch — to transfer following the ’16-17 season. The program’s top recruit, Makai Ashton-Langford, also was granted a release from his national letter-of-intent and wound up at Providence.” Still, Kevin takes no responsibility for the climate he created.
Amazing! The losses didn't happen TO him. They happened BECAUSE OF him!!!

Reaction Score
One thing I really didn't like is that Ollie rarely took responsibility for the failures of the team. He finally did after the last game of the season when he said he needed to do a better job preparing the team.

“C.V. says it's about the players, but it's about the coaching staff, too,” Ollie said. “How can I get these guys to play better and play together? … We don't want to be here. We don't want to be 14-18. And that's unacceptable and we have to get better in every category, and I'm on the top to evaluate myself. How I can get these guys to play better, how can I get my coaching staff to execute better and we're all in this together. So it's going to be a long evaluation for myself, my coaching staff, my team.”
I didn't buy that quote given the timing, just seemed like lip service given that the same crap went on all year, the team's shortcomings were obvious and there was never any double-down apparent on the court in terms of re-dedication to hard work & preparation. There's also no work evident to correct via a great recruiting class and not a single thing moving in a positive direction, this was just not true introspection - just words.

Reaction Score
It was pretty easy to see why many(Most??)wanted him fired. I was always in the camp that felt he could turn it around and would have given him another year.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Been like this for decades (including Calhoun):

Connecticut State Statute requires all individuals, as designated by their work titles, to be represented by a bargaining agent to which they pay dues.“

Titles included/excluded in the AAUP are here in Article 1 & 2 on Page 1

Still incredibly dumb.

I thought this, too, at first; but after thinking about it some more, I'm guessing that it is frequently the case at many state schools that many coaches are also teachers. For example, Larry Tsantiris, UConn women's soccer head coach, also taught soccer as a class for undergraduates. I don't know if he still does, but he did in the 80s.

Reaction Score
I thought this, too, at first; but after thinking about it some more, I'm guessing that it is frequently the case at many state schools that many coaches are also teachers. For example, Larry Tsantiris, UConn women's soccer head coach, also taught soccer as a class for undergraduates. I don't know if he still does, but he did in the 80s.
If you coach a state school what other unions could you be in. I think there should be a separate union for coaches. They shouldn’t be in the AAUP

Reaction Score
CT works in odd ways. Years ago when I worked as an RN at the health center we were part if the teacher's union.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom