OT: - Sounds like Mike Brey to Saint John's has legs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Sounds like Mike Brey to Saint John's has legs

Reaction Score
You just topped it. The Johnnies got turned down by Bobby Hurley and not 1 but 2 good mid-major coaches. All saw St John’s as the dead end it is. They settled for a pretty good coach who just got fired and would have taken any job to stay in the business. St John’s is a nothing program now. It isn’t 1965 any more.
The original post said that when St John's is good, the it's exciting for NYC. You are arguing that it's not an attractive job. Those are two different things.

Reaction Score
No incoming coach is winning at St. John's or DePaul. Most likely GTown's next coach too... anyone with a good mind would not take their open jobs.... but there will be those who try and fail like all others in recent years.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have been reading this thread and I am surprised that Mike Brey is being considered for St. John's. First of all I thought Mike Brey said he was retiring after this year. Someone correct me if I am wrong or if he publicly recanted that statement.

Second and more importantly, I have stated the same thing you just did, Fishy, the buyout is nothing to sneeze at. 10M is a lot. I know someone here stated the Vitamin Water founder is a SJU alum or fan and could contribute to the buyout. I don't know if that is true or not.

Anderson should be doing better as NelsonMuntz said, there are in a hoops mecca and a big time city. That has to be incorporated in the recruiting pitch and NIL. His 2023 class doesn't look so hot, though.

No, he said he’s not retiring….Notre Dame put a pretty face on the fact that they were firing him at the end of the year. Honestly, a pretty decent way of handling things.

I feel like Mike Anderson and St. John’s are just the same level. Mike Anderson is the St. John’s of coaches and St. John’s is the Mike Anderson of college programs. Neither of them are suddenly gonna become world beaters if they separate.

Reaction Score
The University of Colorado basically got boosters to rally around building back a previously mediocre program around Prime.

If your a basketball school with no football program, and can’t get boosters to open wallets around NIL & such for hoops with a high profile coach… just execute your program then

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are a lot of Wall Streeters in New York that went to Ivies or top tier small schools and have adopted Seton Hall or St. Johns as their college program. I know a couple. How do you think Seton Hall and St. Johns were so good in the 80's? Hard work?

St. Johns has been actively trying to suck with their coaching hires since Satan was fired. I hated Satan, but he could coach. SJU shouldn't have fired him.

Reaction Score
If Pitino went to Gtown and Brey went to SJU then the BE would be stacked from top to bottom.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I have been told by someone who purports to know that Pitino is most likely to be in DC next season but I have no idea if this person has any credibility or not. I agree that St. Johns makes the most sense. I find it hilarious that people think he'll willingly spend 6 nights a week in Syracuse next year (now watch me jinx it). He does seem adamant about wanting to coach another 5 years or so, but I would assume he'll be pretty discriminating in his choice.
If he went to cuse that big pocket donor would have to fly him up from the city and back 6 days a week

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Brey to St. John’s and Pitino to Georgetown would be great for the league. Remember back in the day when the biggest was a league of elite coaches. We’re heading back in that direction. Hurley, Smart, McDermott, Brey and Pitino is a murders row of talented coaches.
You forgot miller and matta

Reaction Score
There are better coaches out there in regards to potential longevity (Pitino) as well as recruiting acumen (Brey). I feel they need someone high profile, pre 50 yo with recent/lifelong NYC area ties. I’d wait until after the dance.

Someone like Speedy Claxton?

Reaction Score
I have been told by someone who purports to know that Pitino is most likely to be in DC next season but I have no idea if this person has any credibility or not. I agree that St. Johns makes the most sense. I find it hilarious that people think he'll willingly spend 6 nights a week in Syracuse next year (now watch me jinx it). He does seem adamant about wanting to coach another 5 years or so, but I would assume he'll be pretty discriminating in his choice.
Francessa mentioned Pitino to Gtown rumor 2 days ago in his podcast.

Reaction Score
I thought Brey is "retiring", or was that a just face-saving way of not getting fired?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I thought Brey is "retiring", or was that a just face-saving way of not getting fired?
Notre Dame announced his retirement. His contract is expiring and they had no intention of extending it so they said he was retiring.

He wants to continue coaching.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Has Mike Anderson been fired already? I do think he teaches a horrible system. I don't like the helter skelter style of play.

His teams do hustle, so there's that.

Reaction Score
Has Mike Anderson been fired already? I do think he teaches a horrible system. I don't like the helter skelter style of play.

His teams do hustle, so there's that.
'He has 4 years left on his contract, but I doubt St John's fans are happy. It has to hurt knowing freaking Iona has a much better coach. Fordham is also having a big season.

Reaction Score
Brey could bring some respectability back. My son and I were talking on Saturday on pur way back to Jersey from the game - they never recovered after Jarvis
Actually they never recovered after Lou Carnesecca. Despite being in Queens, it's a tough to recruit kids to St. John's. Seems like most of the top NYC talent want to leave town.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Actually they never recovered after Lou Carnesecca. Despite being in Queens, it's a tough to recruit kids to St. John's. Seems like most of the top NYC talent want to leave town.
Put someone with NBA ties at St Johns and NYC kids will look twice before leaving the city. But I understand why people want to leave NYC

Reaction Score
Sort of a chicken or the egg thing. If NYC had a top program, I'm very confident they could get NYC talent to stay, but that hasn't existed for decades at this point, and getting back to that level feels incredibly unlikely. St. John's has, at best, mediocre facilities, a mediocre campus (with significant space constraints if they ever did want to build out), and doesn't have a rabid fanbase.

NYC is a pro sports town filled with transplants with allegiances to other universities. I spent many years living in the city, including a lot of time visiting friends that grew up and lived 15 minutes from St. John's in Queens and I have never once heard anyone tell me they were going to go catch a St. John's game (or met any fans of St. John's other than alums). There's for sure 10+ universities that have better fan support in NYC than St John's (us included).

Reaction Score
Sort of a chicken or the egg thing. If NYC had a top program, I'm very confident they could get NYC talent to stay, but that hasn't existed for decades at this point, and getting back to that level feels incredibly unlikely. St. John's has, at best, mediocre facilities, a mediocre campus (with significant space constraints if they ever did want to build out), and doesn't have a rabid fanbase.

NYC is a pro sports town filled with transplants with allegiances to other universities. I spent many years living in the city, including a lot of time visiting friends that grew up and lived 15 minutes from St. John's in Queens and I have never once heard anyone tell me they were going to go catch a St. John's game (or met any fans of St. John's other than alums). There's for sure 10+ universities that have better fan support in NYC than St John's (us included).
If St John's had the top seed in this tournament there would be more St John's fans at the Garden than any other school including UConn. In the early 90's UConn/St Johns on Saturday night would be sold out and the split of fans was 60/40 St Johns. I realize that was 30 years ago, but I believe the fan support is still there but buried, they just need something to cheer about.

Reaction Score
Between G'town, St. John's and DePaul I think the G'town job is most appealing. I question whether Pitino has the drive and energy to bring a G'town program up from the bottom. The portal may make it easier, but it is at least a 3 or 4 year process to get back to respectability and Pitino is 70 now. I look at the time and effort that Hurley put in in his first 3 years and UConn was nowhere close to the level of disaster as the current G'town program. It is much easier to make Iona a winning team just with a transfer or two.

Reaction Score

That's because they suck, the few times they were really good the city was hugely into them and they were all over the back page.

Yes, big cities with pro teams are pro sports towns.

Reaction Score
No, he said he’s not retiring….Notre Dame put a pretty face on the fact that they were firing him at the end of the year. Honestly, a pretty decent way of handling things.

I feel like Mike Anderson and St. John’s are just the same level. Mike Anderson is the St. John’s of coaches and St. John’s is the Mike Anderson of college programs. Neither of them are suddenly gonna become world beaters if they separate.

I sort of agree, but Pitino could reach a FF or better at SJU. It’s an ideal fit.

Reaction Score
That's because they suck, the few times they were really good the city was hugely into them and they were all over the back page.

Yes, big cities with pro teams are pro sports towns.
I mean, a top ten team anywhere is going to draw spectators. That doesn’t mean they have fan support. Even when they’re decent, they’re an afterthought.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom